Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #16
gbzdmo
gbzdmo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
[QUOTE=kiwidude;1450902]That sounds rather strange, not something I can replicate nor knowing the code think of a cause. Are you sure you didn't accidentally uninstall the Plugin Updater itself when you went back into the updater dialog? What is the status of the Plugin Updater plugin right now - is it still installed, is it on any toolbars etc. Do you still get the same behaviour when you restart Calibre and open/close the dialog?

It is now working OK, I think a reboot of the PC has resolved the issue
I have further tested Installing an Uninstalling plugins and this works fine.

Thanks for a welcome addition to Calibre
gbzdmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@gbzdmo - Excellent, glad to hear you are running ok now. Obviously if anyone else experiences anything similar then post it here.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
Zootoo
Zootoo began at the beginning.

Device: SonyPRS-300/SonyPRS-350 & 650, T1/KindlePaperWh1&2, ipad air, iPhone5
Brilliant idea, like others, I had new updates but didn't know about them, now I'm up to date with all the plugins
Thank You!
Zootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #19
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.0.1 Released

Thanks to Mark for pointing out a minor bug to do with selection after doing an install.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:37 AM   #20
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Brilliant Tool!
Makes it SO simple to update, but also install other plugins.
GREAT Work !
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #21
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.0.2 Released

The only change is to fix some debug statements to use prints correctly in preparation for passing on to Kovid, zero changes to functionality.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #22
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Thumbs up A OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
The only change is to fix some debug statements to use prints correctly in preparation for passing on to Kovid, zero changes to functionality.
Just to confirm: A OK - no issues here after updating, using the previous ver. of plugin, naturally
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #23
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@pchrist7 - thx for that. The updater "updating itself" is kind of cool
Old 03-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@pchrist7 - thx for that. The updater "updating itself" is kind of cool
I found that 'really'

Most programs have to jump hoops because of 'in use' blockage
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:03 AM   #25
traceylb
traceylb is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Thank you for this new plugin addition! I thought I was up to date with most of my plugins but this picked up that I was a few versions behind.

Just one thought I had is whether you can select all the plugins to update with one click? I did not think to test it out as I clicked on each plugin to update individually. :-)
traceylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #26
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@tracylb - had you tried it you would have found that you are indeed restricted to a single plugin selected at a time. This was intentional on my part due to the interactive nature of installing a plugin, particularly for the first time where you are asked whether to install it on a toolbar or menu. It starts getting a bit messy and complicated trying to handle that when you have multiple plugins at once?

So it was much "easier" just to require the user to do multiple clicks rather than complicate the interface. Plus it is consistent with the Preferences->Plugins dialog which works the same way.

Thanks for the feedback, glad it worked well for you.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #27
Loeffel
Connoisseur
Loeffel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
I have an idea for your plugin updater. It would be a good addition from my point of view, but I think you need an additional file for downloading here.

It would be nice to have a button "View Update History" or something like that. So I can have a look what has changes before downloading and without switching to the forum.
Loeffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #28
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Hi Loeffel, thanks for the suggestion. I agree it would be nice.

Right now the only version history "in one place" I have for my own plugins is inside one of the code files in each. The public version gets spread across individual forum posts. I totally agree that isn't necessarily helpful to users who are looking to upgrade and know what is new without reading through potentially many pages in the forum, particularly if they haven't updated for a while. I know meme has a spoiler containing history in his first post, I am not sure what the other plugin developers do if anything?

Whether this feature could happen is down to whether the other plugin developers are willing/interested in maintaining a change history file for their plugins. Unless someone has a different suggestion, it would perhaps involve adding an attachment of a particular name to their first post (e.g. changelog.txt).

So in particular... meme, user_none, kpw, jackie_w & javanmaar - as current plugin developers what are your thoughts if any? Kovid - you have any ideas too? If the other developers don't see this and respond here I will drop them a PM.

In terms of the plugin updater UI, I guess I could just add a second hyperlink down next to the plugin forum thread one for "Version History" or similar, and have that downloaded into a temp file for launching in your default .txt viewer, by scraping the forum thread like I do to download the zip file.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #29
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd say define some sort of microformat for the plugin changelog and require it be present in the first post of each plugin thread. If an individual plugin developers maintains it, show it in the updater, if not, dont
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #30
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Thx for the quick reply Kovid. By "microformat" did you mean along the lines of what I suggested such as a specifically named attachment?

Totally agree on "if its there cool, if not, too bad". My only concern was if as a user you had to do a laggy clickfest to find out if a plugin had a history file for it or not due to the scraping involved. I guess I could add another piece of metadata to the index page like "; Changelog: Yes" to ensure the UI only offers that option for plugins that support it...