Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 01-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
hyperstruct
hyperstruct began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
LibrieX released

Greetings,

I have released LibrieX (or Librié, eXtended). It includes the TCP/IP connection part formerly known as LibrieNet, and a preliminary port of the Nano-X graphic server.

For more information please see http://dev.hyperstruct.net/libriex.
hyperstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Any plans for a Reader version?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
hyperstruct

Unfortunately not, as I do not own a Reader, but if hw/sw are actually the same porting should be easy.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
This looks awesome. I'm really dying to do some sony reader development. I hope you buy one soon.

Actually, some people have already succeeded running programs on the reader. However, how are you able to control the screen of the librie? This part i think hasn't been figured out too well for the reader. Were you able to gain direct access to the framebuffer, and can you control other things like screen refreshes?
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:47 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
This looks awesome. I'm really dying to do some sony reader development.
You are not alone, my friend.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2007, 04:50 AM   #6
hyperstruct

Quote:
This looks awesome. I'm really dying to do some sony reader development. I hope you buy one soon.
I'm afraid that is a bit unlikely. Going from the Librié to the Reader isn't much of an upgrade. ;-)

Quote:
Actually, some people have already succeeded running programs on the reader.
Then it should be possible to run the USB console/root shell, too.

Quote:
However, how are you able to control the screen of the librie? This part i think hasn't been figured out too well for the reader.
Hmmm, doesn't the Reader use the same hardware? The same knowledge should apply.

Quote:
Were you able to gain direct access to the framebuffer, and can you control other things like screen refreshes?
That was the first step. The second was modifying the Nano-X server and having it take care of drawing and refreshing on its own, so that individual ("client") programs don't have to.

Anyway, some technical background is here: http://dev.hyperstruct.net/libriex/#background

The really interesting thing would be porting a full-fledged X server (yes, it can and does run on similarly sized devices). Then you would be able to run a browser, a text editor, a terminal, etc. and basically turn the device into an e-ink tablet. (Ah, time. Sigh.)