Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Text editor/WP on iLiad?

Hi folks,

Still saving pennies to buy my iLiad. Meanwhile, a question: can one edit in any of the viewers on the iLiad? I would assume not in PDF, but what about HTML or text? Reason being, I have documents that I've typed and need to proof, and it would be much more convenient to do the editing with a pen. Also, when I OCR older documents, I'll need to correct places where the OCR failed, and this too would be easier to do on the iLiad, I think, as I'm reading them. I would prefer an editor which includes font styles (italics, bold, etc.) as this is significant in the area I work in. RTF would be good, if Scotty1024 feels like throwing that into the pluggable viewer.

Thanks,
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
None of the viewers is "editable", iRex is planning on adding annotations at some point in the future.

Annotations let you make marks on the face of a document but not actually change its contents.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Would this be something usefull to port to the iLiad?

http://www.nllgg.nl/Ted

What do you think?
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks good to me. I note that it can convert to PDF, too, which could be handy once one has finished editing. And it would provide RTF viewing on the iLiad, as well.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg
Would this be something usefull to port to the iLiad?

http://www.nllgg.nl/Ted

What do you think?
Nah, what you need is an editor understanding scribble gestures (remove, select, etc).
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Select works already, I believe.

Try looking at a TXT file. You can select words by going over them with the stylus.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Select works already, I believe.

Try looking at a TXT file. You can select words by going over them with the stylus.
Remember penpoint. It was possible to remove a single caracter using a "remove loop" from the standard gesture of typographers, or to ask for italics and bold, also using very standard signals. Of course delete by zigzagging, breaking parragraphs by drawing a corner to the left, or inserting space by drawing a corner to the right.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
henkvdg
Groupie

Another Editor: e3,

Maybe ready to run on the iLiad (although I am in doubt), as it was made for the Zaurus.

http://www.sax.de/~adlibit/
Old 11-20-2006, 09:55 PM   #9
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

"Ready To Run on Iliad": zaurus command line tools yes, zaurus X11 tools no.

The refresh problem is solvable but is only part of the story. Getting the tools to be unzip and go is another bit of work.

And of course no one can agree on dmQTyping or dmQFull for the UI.

But I'd be quite happy to see someone tackle one of the above. Gesture editing sounds cool to me!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:00 AM   #10
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Gesture editing sounds cool to me!
If you've ever had a Newton MP2100 you'd be starving to get the interface back. This was THE Pen-Interface. Everything I had to use later on was not a jump but a transcontinental flight backwards. I so hope that we'll end up with something comparable on the iLiad, the platform is capable to, hardwarewise.
Maybe even Project Einstein, someday?
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:35 AM   #11
henkvdg
Groupie

Javascript Cross-Platform Editor?

Could the Newton Pen-Interface be re-animated on the iLiad??

By the way, I tried TinyMCE ( http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/index.php ).
Something based on JavaScript could be made working on the iLiad. Did not work completely for me yet.

It is possible to edit TXT-areas in HTML pages on the iLiad, although the screen-update has to be forced. I do that by swithing between the two keyboards.

Would that also be a way to go? Javascript? Or is the interpreter on the iLiad not good enough?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:39 AM   #12
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Would that also be a way to go? Javascript? Or is the interpreter on the iLiad not good enough?
Javascript interpreter on Minimo seems fine... You can even play a passable (if slow) game of Chess with it... The main problem is with screen updates having to be forced.
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #13
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r
If you've ever had a Newton MP2100 you'd be starving to get the interface back. This was THE Pen-Interface. Everything I had to use later on was not a jump but a transcontinental flight backwards. I so hope that we'll end up with something comparable on the iLiad, the platform is capable to, hardwarewise.
Maybe even Project Einstein, someday?
I still have my Newtons and yes, I tried to get Einstein working on the iLiad. But there is no source available for Einstein so I wasn't able to fix it.

The e-Ink panel is the major limiting factor to implementing such a UI though.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
The e-Ink panel is the major limiting factor to implementing such a UI though.
Why the e-Ink panel? Granted there were some superfluous animations on the Newton OS (the crumpled page to trash, for example), but I wouldn't think the gestures would depend on the e-Ink. I would think the poor Wacom support would be the limiting factor. No?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #15
henkvdg
Groupie

Einstein has a project page !!! : http://www.kallisys.com/newton/einstein/en

Look over there !

And here for nostalgia: http://www.a-in-a-circle.com/newton/

Last edited by henkvdg; 11-21-2006 at 10:48 AM.