Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reader to replace my trusty Palm T5?

I am currently reading book with Palm T5. It is nearing end of it's life so I am thinking of getting real ebook reader. Here is some ideas I have of what kind of decive I need.

1. Most important thing would be that reading novel with device is fun and easy. This is by far most important requirement.

2. I do just fine with my current 4 inch screen so screen size isn't issue. I actually like 4 inch since it is easy to carry in pocket so probably smaller is better for me.

3. Palm of course uses backlight. I would rather not have that. I hate low battery life and since I stare computer screen so much it would be better if I read on e-ink.

4. Planned used is plain text. So far .html and .txt has been enough for me. Of course more would make life easier and I would like to have some readiness for buying novels in future. PDF support would be nice too.

5. I have no need of wifi, web browsing etc. Just simple cable that allows me to move files/books in is enough.

Which readers would you recommend?
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
I'd of thought the pocketbook 360 suits your needs well but I'm still looking myself so you can take what I say with a pinch of salt
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Point 4 is very easy. There is an application by the name of Calibre that does all conversions. The link points to its dedicated forum.

I have a Sony PRS 600 and I am very happy with it.
Your choice will also depend on your budget for the reader.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
If you have enjoyed using your Palm as an ereader, just get another Palm. You can get them cheap on Ebay. Benefits: zero learning curve, and you already have all the software you need.
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The E-book Reader Matrix includes a table for 5" EInk devices. The best value for money is the EZ Reader Pocket Pro, but the best overall may be the PocketBook 360 (which isn't much more expensive).

Other options include the Jetbook and JetBook Lite, both with a 5" Reflective LCD screen.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
I checked which readers I could actually buy here from Finland. Doesn't look too good. Of course I can always order elsewhere from EU too but that adds cost and risk.

Any comments about Sony PRS-300 or BOOKEEN Cybook Opus? Those two would cost about 220 euros. How they compare to pocketbook 360 which would prolly cost me 260 euros (Edited price down, seems to be 239 + 19.90 from ebay Germany) or so if I order one from Germany.

Last edited by Kameli; 04-11-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:26 AM   #7
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameli View Post
I checked which readers I could actually buy here from Finland. Doesn't look too good. Of course I can always order elsewhere from EU too but that adds cost and risk.

Any comments about Sony PRS-300 or BOOKEEN Cybook Opus? Those two would cost about 220 euros. How they compare to pocketbook 360 which would prolly cost me 260 euros (Edited price down, seems to be 239 + 19.90 from ebay Germany) or so if I order one from Germany.
If storage size is an issue the Sony PRS-300 does not have a space for a memory card, so you only get the internal memory which says it holds 350 books. I was seriously considering this reader until I hit that obstacle. My e-library is nearing 2000 books and I like to have them all on my reader. If storage isn't an issue, the PRS-300 is a nice reader. Sony builds very sturdy products. The reader software is crap, but you can use Calibre instead.

If you can afford it I'd highly recommend the PocketBook 360. I love mine. It is very light and portable. It comes with it's own hard cover to protect the screen so you don't need to buy an additional cover. And it is by far the most flexible reader in what format types it supports.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote