Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Not ALL the books in a series are available?

I don't just mean like the first couple are and the later ones aren't, I mean sometimes the first several aren't and later ones are, or ones in the middle are skipped or there are only sparatic ones here or there but you can't buy the whole series, in alot of the ones I look at! Is there a way to request for them to get certain books or is this just the way it is and I need to find paperbacks of these other books?
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
To get older titles as ebooks you would probably need to contact the publisher. Seeing some publishers are hesitant to give ebooks their due you may be waiting a while before those titles become available.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
CarolB
Connoisseur

I don't just mean older books. I've looked at so many books that are in a series and you'll get the first, third, fourth, sixth, but here and there are some missing. I'll look on Amazon and they'll have them (some of the time), I'm just curious why they do and others don't?
Old 12-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
I don't just mean older books. I've looked at so many books that are in a series and you'll get the first, third, fourth, sixth, but here and there are some missing. I'll look on Amazon and they'll have them (some of the time), I'm just curious why they do and others don't?
My understanding is that it depends on who owns the rights to each title in a series. Sometimes, an author is published by different publishing houses or divisions or even has different contract rights on the various titles. (and it may depend on who gets the ebook rights) I gather that it's complicated. A few MR author members have shared some insight into this with us.

It can be frustrating at times. Many members use book searches (Inkmesh is one that I can remember) to find out if the missing book may be available from other (maybe lesser known) ebook stores.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
CarolB
Connoisseur

Thank you, I had no idea it was that complicated. I'll check out that Inkmesh thing.
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
Thank you, I had no idea it was that complicated. I'll check out that Inkmesh thing.
Hey Carol, I'm building this Inkmesh thing, so let me know if you have any questions or suggestions
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
CarolB
Connoisseur

Okay, thanks! I haven't had time to look at it for more than a second today. We homeschool and until we break for Christmas we're pretty busy. I will take a look though, I love the idea of someplace you can go that will look at what's available where and tell you the best place to find it!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:04 AM   #8
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
I bought The Liveship Traders trilogy by Robin Hobb as a bundle some time ago and now only the first and third books are available. I guess this issue has to do with the conversion to Epub and I hope they'll be able to fix it soon enough.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
morglbltrio
Member Retired
morglbltrio began at the beginning.

Device: none
Same problem here. I've bought the first book of the Farseer trilogy only to notice later that the second book isn't available in ePub! But the third one is...
I hope this issue won't last forever, this is really annoying and it makes me want to get a Kindle and buy only from Amazon.
morglbltrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by morglbltrio View Post
Same problem here. I've bought the first book of the Farseer trilogy only to notice later that the second book isn't available in ePub! But the third one is...
I hope this issue won't last forever, this is really annoying and it makes me want to get a Kindle and buy only from Amazon.
Unfortunately, you'll find the same problem there with certain series.

Like it was mentioned before.........it depends on a lot of things.

eventually, the holes will be filled in.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
morglbltrio
Member Retired
morglbltrio began at the beginning.

Device: none
I sent an email to BoB about another problem and the ePub problem:
"Hi

The title says the book contains Assassin's Apprentice and Royal Assassin, but the epub file only contains Assassin's Apprentice.

So there is obviously something wrong.

Moreover the Royal Assassin book is not available as ePub. Then how will I be able to read the sequel?

Is this a bug?

Thanks
Nicolas"

Here is their answer:
"Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for shopping with BooksOnBoard. We have contacted the distributors about this; they should fix this shortly and we will email you as soon as they have provided a solution. Please let us know if you have any questions in the meantime and we will assist.

Regards,

Lee
BooksOnBoard Support"

Hope both issues will be resolved soon.

Last edited by morglbltrio; 01-30-2010 at 03:12 PM.
morglbltrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
This isn't exactly a new problem... there are dozens of series in paper format where parts of the series are out-of-print but at least with eBooks, once available, we can hope they will stay available as no requirements to hold anything other than a file...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote