Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Opus, a few first thoughts

My Opus arrived yesterday, sooner than I had expected. Books On Board did a great job of getting it shipped quickly. My main impressions will be compared to the K2 as that's mostly what I've been using lately.

My initial impressions on opening the box were favorable. It's a neat little device and is truly what I'd call a 'pocket' device. It actually fits, with it's cover/pouch, in the front pocket of my jeans (barely).

The screen is everything we've come to expect from a Viziplex e-ink screen. Even thought it's an inch smaller than my K2 it displays almost as much text due to the large margins Amazon has put on the K2.

The housing is a bit plasticy feeling (more so than the K2), but not bad. I like how small & light weight it is (about half the K2's weight).

The buttons are a bit stiff, but not overly so. I don't care for the noise they make when depressed.

The accelerometer is cool. When I read I tend to switch hands and positions a fair amount and with the accelerometer I could do this and still easily and comfortably turn pages.

I absolutely love that it has folders. One thing I dislike about the K2 is it's lack of organization options. Are folders better than Sony's collections? I don't know. I think it'll depend on the user, they both have their good points and drawbacks.

Bookeen's implementation of ADE seems quite good to me. When Sony first put out ADE support on the 505 I wasn't crazy about it. I dislike the distraction of the side page numbers when reading an ePub. On the Opus these numbers are still there, but it's like bookeen made them a lighter shade of gray so they're barely noticeable and not distracting at all. Also Bookeen's ADE displays ePubs fully justified. Not as big a deal for me as for some.

I've just finished my first book on it so I'm going to give it a few more days, but my initial impression is that it's a nice device that I'm not sure I'm going to keep.

Why?

Well the button's clicking noise when depressed is pronounced and bothers me at this point (I'll give it a bit more time).

I don't really care for the way it goes back to the last folder I was in on boot up. I'd prefer it go right back to where I left off reading, although I can get used to it the way the Opus does it. It's not a deal breaker.

I don't care to the need to wait for it to boot up each time, although it's not a deal breaker either.

One of my big issues is that while reading my first book on it the device locked up four times and needed resetting. To do this you must remove the battery cover (the gray part of the back) to get at the reset button. I'm a bit worried that all that on and off of the cover might eventually break one of the tabs that hold it or wear them down enough to make the cover loose. I read 4-6 books a week and if that one book is indicative that will be an awful lot of resetting.

After having it a short time I really want a device this size for at work and being out and about. Carrying it around is much more comfortable than the K2 or even the 505.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 10-01-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added thread prefix for testing
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
My Opus arrived yesterday, sooner than I had expected. Books On Board did a great job of getting it shipped quickly. My main impressions will be compared to the K2 as that's mostly what I've been using lately.

My initial impressions on opening the box were favorable. It's a neat little device and is truly what I'd call a 'pocket' device. It actually fits, with it's cover/pouch, in the front pocket of my jeans (barely).

The screen is everything we've come to expect from a Viziplex e-ink screen. Even thought it's an inch smaller than my K2 it displays almost as much text due to the large margins Amazon has put on the K2.

The housing is a bit plasticy feeling (more so than the K2), but not bad. I like how small & light weight it is (about half the K2's weight).

The buttons are a bit stiff, but not overly so. I don't care for the noise they make when depressed.

The accelerometer is cool. When I read I tend to switch hands and positions a fair amount and with the accelerometer I could do this and still easily and comfortably turn pages.

I absolutely love that it has folders. One thing I dislike about the K2 is it's lack of organization options. Are folders better than Sony's collections? I don't know. I think it'll depend on the user, they both have their good points and drawbacks.

Bookeen's implementation of ADE seems quite good to me. When Sony first put out ADE support on the 505 I wasn't crazy about it. I dislike the distraction of the side page numbers when reading an ePub. On the Opus these numbers are still there, but it's like bookeen made them a lighter shade of gray so they're barely noticeable and not distracting at all. Also Bookeen's ADE displays ePubs fully justified. Not as big a deal for me as for some.

I've just finished my first book on it so I'm going to give it a few more days, but my initial impression is that it's a nice device that I'm not sure I'm going to keep.

Why?

Well the button's clicking noise when depressed is pronounced and bothers me at this point (I'll give it a bit more time).

I don't really care for the way it goes back to the last folder I was in on boot up. I'd prefer it go right back to where I left off reading, although I can get used to it the way the Opus does it. It's not a deal breaker.

I don't care to the need to wait for it to boot up each time, although it's not a deal breaker either.

One of my big issues is that while reading my first book on it the device locked up four times and needed resetting. To do this you must remove the battery cover (the gray part of the back) to get at the reset button. I'm a bit worried that all that on and off of the cover might eventually break one of the tabs that hold it or wear them down enough to make the cover loose. I read 4-6 books a week and if that one book is indicative that will be an awful lot of resetting.

After having it a short time I really want a device this size for at work and being out and about. Carrying it around is much more comfortable than the K2 or even the 505.
I've read a lot about Opus crashing quite frequently. No problem for me, though.
Did happen maybe 3 times in 5 weeks. Can you re-produce the crashes? Can it be your source material?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've read a lot about Opus crashing quite frequently. No problem for me, though.
Did happen maybe 3 times in 5 weeks. Can you re-produce the crashes? Can it be your source material?
It could be, and I'm going to try another book today or tomorrow to see. It seems to freeze after about 50-70 "pages", I don't know exactly how many page turns that ends up being since each "page" is several screen flips. It's good to know not everyone is having the problem.

One thing I kinda wish it had was a battery meter you could see while reading.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
You don't have to take the battery cover off. Push the turn on button and the back button for about 10 seconds and it will reset. Also if you set the device to auto shut off it should take care of most of the reasons why it crashes.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
You don't have to take the battery cover off. Push the turn on button and the back button for about 10 seconds and it will reset. Also if you set the device to auto shut off it should take care of most of the reasons why it crashes.
Thanks, didn't know about the other way of resetting. It is set to auto power off (it was by default), or am I not understanding.
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
No problem. I took the battery cover off once before I read the manual and found and easier solution. Auto shut off is correct. I guess when you turn that feature off, it was causing a lot of crashes.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
The button is stiff and noisy? I just hope it will get better on Opus, because on my Cybook it is still stiff after almost 2 years of constant use
I hear newer Cybooks have better button - easier to press and not that noisy as first generation...

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
You don't have to take the battery cover off. Push the turn on button and the back button for about 10 seconds and it will reset.
That method doesn't always work. While it will reset the Opus, for me, it always hangs on bootup when I do that reset.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Also if you set the device to auto shut off it should take care of most of the reasons why it crashes.
I've had auto shut off turned off for a while now and the lock ups still happen but only about once a week.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Some people complain about ADE on the Sony Readers because it does not do full justification. But other then not having full justification, it seems to be more stable then anyone else's version of ADE on a reader. It doesn't lock up/crash like it does on the Opus & Cool-er. It doesn't have the annoying bugs that is present on the V3 & clones (Astak, Eco, V3, BeBook, etc.). It just seems to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Since I prefer left justification, I'd like to see a device that supports ePub that gives the user the choice instead of me having to pick a product based on such a superficial "feature".
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Since I prefer left justification, I'd like to see a device that supports ePub that gives the user the choice instead of me having to pick a product based on such a superficial "feature".
Well ragged left as an option does not seem so useful... Or I thought the term was "ragged right" for what you talk about.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Well, it just froze again and unfortunately this doesn't work to reset for whatever's causing mine to lock up. :shrugs:
Old 09-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well ragged left as an option does not seem so useful... Or I thought the term was "ragged right" for what you talk about.
Yes, left justified with ragged right. Not "full" justification. Problem with full justification in these devices -- at least from my experience -- is that they don't adjust the kerning and you can wind up with distracting white space within a line to force the last word over to the right margin. I'd just rather have all that white space gathered up in one place at the end of the line.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #15
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Well, it just froze again and unfortunately this doesn't work to reset for whatever's causing mine to lock up. :shrugs:

Is freeze stuck on a start on startup or on a book? Reset button and removal of battery do not cause the device to reset?

I am curious because I had my Cool-ers hard freeze up on me, they got stuck on a start up page and nothing I could do would fix the problem.

I am curious if this Opus problem is related because as I understand it they use the same hardware and possibly even the same firmware.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote