Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
So it turns out there is a Linux distro for the 720. Actually, there are several but the one I am trying is called jlime. As soon as I figure out how to mount the partitions of a CF card, I will give it a shot.

I've never done this before in Linux. I'm probably going to have to have a Linux geek do it for me.
I have seen Linux on that platform. By the way, how about a wiki entry for your new toy. There is a palmtop group that could use a few more entries.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #17
dmg
dmg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Is the battery replaceable on the Jornada 720?
dmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Yes. Plus there is after-market suppliers on Ebay.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Yes. Plus there is after-market suppliers on Ebay.
What is the battery life? Does the screen fold flat over the kayboard or over the back of the thing? Why is this a better option then the Nokia N800?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What is the battery life? Does the screen fold flat over the kayboard or over the back of the thing? Why is this a better option then the Nokia N800?

BOb
It has the same clamshell shape as most any laptop. I did replace the battery, and so far the battery life around 12 hours.

It's better than the N800 because the screen is bigger, it has a keyboard, and it still fits in my pocket. Plus, it runs Mobipocket Reader. I like it.
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #21
dmg

Hey Nate,
Thanks for all of your information about the Jornada. I'm seriously considering purchasing one. A couple more questions:
1.) Can you download books directly from the mobipocket website onto the Jornada or do you have to download to your PC and then transfer?
2.) Do you know if the Jornada is compatible with a PC running Vista?
Thanks in advance,
Dawn
Old 05-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg View Post
Hey Nate,
Thanks for all of your information about the Jornada. I'm seriously considering purchasing one. A couple more questions:
1.) Can you download books directly from the mobipocket website onto the Jornada or do you have to download to your PC and then transfer?
2.) Do you know if the Jornada is compatible with a PC running Vista?
Thanks in advance,
Dawn
1. You can download ebooks from the Jornada if you have Wifi. The MobiReader can do this. Plus, WinCE comes with an early version of IE.

2. I don't think so. Look here. If you only have Vista, this could be a problem.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #23
dmg

Jornada probably isn't compatible with Vista

Quote:
2. I don't think so. Look here. If you only have Vista, this could be a problem.
I think you are right, Nate. The Jornada is probably not compatible with a PC running Vista. I found an update here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...icecenter.mspx

Which states that the new mobile device center used with Vista is only compatible with units running:
Windows Mobile 2003
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition
Windows Mobile 5.0
Windows Mobile 5.0 with Messaging and Security Feature Pack
Windows Mobile 6
Windows Embedded CE 6.0

I do have an old computer running XP and as long as I can download books using a wifi card, the Jornada is still an option for me. But others may want to be aware.

Thanks again for reminding us of an older PDA that would make an excellent, low cost ebook reader. Not to mention one more way to be a green-friendly electronics consumer
Dawn
Old 05-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #24
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I don't sync my device very often. I usually use a CF card reader to move files.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's also worth considering Pocket PC PDAs. They have perhaps the widest range of reading applications available of any hardware platform, including my all-time-favourite, "uBook". They are the only platform, other than a PC, on which one can read DRM-protected LIT files, and there's reading software available for every other format - MobiPocket, iSilo, eReader, etc etc. I read on Pocket PCs for many, many years before switching to eInk devices, and I still use my "HTC Touch" Windows Mobile Smartphone as a "backup" reading device for MobiPocket books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #26
Huxley The Cat
Librarian
Huxley The Cat began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, PRS-505
I managed to pick up a Clie TH55 in decent condition, and first impressions are very positive. In the end it came down to a choice between this and a T3, largely due to compatability with my other I.T. but also as a more realistic option for my work-related study. I've got MobiPocket up and running on my Vista PC and everything seems to be synching fine. For a PDA the screen is really nice (much better than my old and now defunct Pocket Loox and more recent and now defunct Treo 600). Reading ebooks is absolutely fine - no problems. I prefer reading on the PRS-505, but would be perfectly happy reading for a good long while on the PDA. Plus the facility to use my Concise OED is a major positive. Oh, and the free PDAMill games
Huxley The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #27
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
PocketPCs make good ebook readers in my opinion, because you have Mobireader, Adobe PDF, Microsoft LIT, etc. You can view almost any format on them.

The cool thing I thought about my pocketpc was that if I copied a PDF over on it, it would automatically tag the PDF so I could view it in reflow mode. Basically smart text wrapping for PDFs.

It looked great and you could fullscreen it and landscape it even and tap a button and flip the page instantaneously.

But ultimately my Sony 505 is easier on the eyes with its bigger screen 6" vs 3.5" is definitely a huge difference and e-ink is good. But I do miss the pocketability of the pocketpc.

If only there was good e-ink/lcd combo screen where you could flip between the two modes. Not technically feasible probably I know, but That would be awesome.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #28
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Addendum

I used my 720 yesterday to take notes at a conference. I used it for at least 6 hours, and I still have a third of a charge. I wonder how that compares to new PDAs? (Forget about trying to match that with a laptop.)

I did have my laptop with me, but I knew that wasn't going to last more than 4 hours and there were only a limited number of outlets. Plus, it gets uncomfortably warm when sitting in my lap.

They just don't build them like they used to.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:01 AM   #29
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
I use a Sharp Mobilon HC-4500 running Mobipocket and I like it quite a lot. I have no use for a laptop but at $25 on eBay, figured I could try one out. Battery life isn't the best, maybe around 5 hours per charge but I have four battery packs so it's not that big a deal.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #30
dmg

Quote:
I'm using my 720 as an ebook reader. I'm happily using Mobipocket, and I rotated it 90 degrees. My Jornada has almost twice the screen real estate of a 4" screen. I really like it.
What version of mobipocket are you using?