Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's really no irony. One of the purposes of the ePub format always has been as a publication submission standard, not merely as an end-user standard. Amazon's KF8 format is essentially "ePub in a Mobi wrapper".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's really no irony. One of the purposes of the ePub format always has been as a publication submission standard, not merely as an end-user standard. Amazon's KF8 format is essentially "ePub in a Mobi wrapper".
Amazon doesn't have to accept ePub as an input format. They could quite easily require a Mobigen created eBook only.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #108
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
In my opinion, Amazon should just get with the program. They still have the huge advantage of their store, even if they'd put everything online as EPUB. People who now buy a Kindle to shop at Amazon specifically, will still do so if they'd be using EPUB, as, like it or not, Amazon *is* the biggest eBook-retailer for English books (as far as I know, at least).

It always seems as if the biggest company in the business has to do things different from the rest. But that's another topic.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
In my opinion, Amazon should just get with the program. They still have the huge advantage of their store, even if they'd put everything online as EPUB. People who now buy a Kindle to shop at Amazon specifically, will still do so if they'd be using EPUB, as, like it or not, Amazon *is* the biggest eBook-retailer for English books (as far as I know, at least).

It always seems as if the biggest company in the business has to do things different from the rest. But that's another topic.
I might consider a Kindle if Amazon added ePub support, did away with the silly wide margins and used a better default font.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #110
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At this time, I am of the opinion that the Kindle has the best hardware and best manufacturer support. That is my reason for having it. It's saving grace is the existence Calibre with its conversion capabilities. The saving grace for me to actually buy ebooks is the possibility to remove DRM.

But that too is another topic.
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #111
Darbarian
Part of the Sequence
Darbarian knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Darbarian knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Darbarian knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Darbarian knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Darbarian knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Darbarian knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Darbarian knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Darbarian knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Darbarian knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Darbarian knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Darbarian knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
I couldn't have said it better. It is quite surprising to see such badly formatted books and such poor use of formatting in the first place.
I agree with you 100%. I played around with self-publishing for a while and was never happy with the end results. My problem is that I am not tech savvy and a little bit of a perfectionist, so I ended up hiring someone to help me.

Just to be clear, I am NOT recommneding that people pay one red cent to publish their books. I am just saying that there are always options out there if one is depserate enough.

I think that the technology gets better all the time though and, as it does, more and more of us will be able to create, format and publish our books with greater ease. Hang in there!
Darbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
At this time, I am of the opinion that the Kindle has the best hardware and best manufacturer support. That is my reason for having it. It's saving grace is the existence Calibre with its conversion capabilities. The saving grace for me to actually buy ebooks is the possibility to remove DRM.

But that too is another topic.
As for best hardware, the Kobo Glo and Onyx Boox i62HD Firefly can give the Kindle PW a challenge. Before the PW, I would strongly have disagreed on the hardware being best.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbarian View Post
I agree with you 100%. I played around with self-publishing for a while and was never happy with the end results. My problem is that I am not tech savvy and a little bit of a perfectionist, so I ended up hiring someone to help me.
Did your eBook turn out well formatted?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #114
Steeplechase
Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steeplechase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo N647
What about Distributed Proofreading processed PD eBooks?

Have the public domain Project Gutenberg books which have been processed by Distributed Proofreading had any format problems?
Steeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeplechase View Post
Have the public domain Project Gutenberg books which have been processed by Distributed Proofreading had any format problems?
The machine generated ePub and Mobi are awful.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #116
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeplechase View Post
I'm told, and believe, that the ones on this web site are often significantly improved over what is at Project Gutenberg.

However, personally, I've read many, most after downloading the .txt file, and can't recall any being worse than what I'd expect in paper books.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #117
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Almost done with (re)creating this huge book

After all is said and done, I must acknowledge that eBooks have gotten better in the last few years, as have the tools to work with them. EPUB and Sigil are a godsend, IMHO.

Many are still (very) bad, but many have only minor issues that can be corrected in notime, using Sigil. If you had an eBook with a even a minor issue in 2007-2008, it would sometimes very hard, if not impossible to correct.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-12-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #118
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Almost done with (re)creating this huge book

After all is said and done, I must acknowledge that eBooks have gotten better in the last few years, as have the tools to work with them. EPUB and Sigil are a godsend, IMHO.

Many are still (very) bad, but many have only minor issues that can be corrected in notime, using Sigil. If you had an eBook with a even a minor issue in 2007-2008, it would sometimes very hard, if not impossible to correct.
If you've had a go at the code often enough, you get to know what to look for and what to fix. It's not that difficult to fix most eBooks these days. And Sigil's feature of being able to get rid of unused CSS entries is a help.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #119
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you've had a go at the code often enough, you get to know what to look for and what to fix. It's not that difficult to fix most eBooks these days. And Sigil's feature of being able to get rid of unused CSS entries is a help.
Hmm, methinks I need to get with Sigil. I now just use my text editor (sublimetext), like I do for most things.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Hmm, methinks I need to get with Sigil. I now just use my text editor (sublimetext), like I do for most things.
I've edited most ePub with Notepad++.