Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Dariarb
Enthusiast
Dariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-650
Book's cover

I have a problem with the Calibre and I don't know how to solve it. Before when I added a book to the Calibre and the book has the cover included, automatically you can see the cover at the right side. (See Image 1). Now I see a brown book. Also, if the book has the cover included, in Edit metadatos section, you can see the cover. Now I see a brown book. (See Image 2) In Add Books section I have marked the option to read the name of the file. How I can resolve that? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagen 1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	85977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagen 2.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	85978  
Dariarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When you read metadata from filenames, covers will not be read. Use the bulk metadata edit dialog after the books have been added to read the covers from the added book files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Huigh
Huigh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I have a similar problem. Downloaded book from Gutenberg into Calibre. Somehow, by clicking on the wrong icon at the right time, I have wound up with a hideous cover (a blue thing that looks like a primitive hand-held games machine) instead of the right one. Went into the Edit Metadata area and got a pretty cover from one of the searched sources there. It appears as the cover in Calibre but every time I try to download it to the Kindle Fire, it comes up with the same hideous cover despite the fact that I have removed the original download from the Fire several times. The nice cover appears on the page after the hideous one when I open the book on the Fire.

How do I change the cover on the bookshelf on the Kindle Fire please? I've been banging my head against this wall for hours now!
Huigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huigh View Post
I have a similar problem. Downloaded book from Gutenberg into Calibre. Somehow, by clicking on the wrong icon at the right time, I have wound up with a hideous cover (a blue thing that looks like a primitive hand-held games machine) instead of the right one. Went into the Edit Metadata area and got a pretty cover from one of the searched sources there. It appears as the cover in Calibre but every time I try to download it to the Kindle Fire, it comes up with the same hideous cover despite the fact that I have removed the original download from the Fire several times. The nice cover appears on the page after the hideous one when I open the book on the Fire.

How do I change the cover on the bookshelf on the Kindle Fire please? I've been banging my head against this wall for hours now!
When you change the cover on a Mobi book, you must do a "Mobi to Mobi" conversion in Calibre to make the new cover "stick" to the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When you change the cover on a Mobi book, you must do a "Mobi to Mobi" conversion in Calibre to make the new cover "stick" to the book.
Actually, Harry, for a Mobi the 'Send to Device' should update the cover in the copy sent to his Fire, I think. Still, a mobi -> mobi conversion is probably the safest bet.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Actually, Harry, for a Mobi the 'Send to Device' should update the cover in the copy sent to his Fire, I think. Still, a mobi -> mobi conversion is probably the safest bet.
No, it doesn't. At least it doesn't for a "normal" Kindle; I don't know if the Fire is any different in that regard? For an eInk Kindle, metadata changes are dynamically applied, but changing the cover specifically requires a reconversion.

As I say, perhaps it works differently on the Fire? Not having one, I don't know .
Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
tiffanyjoy
tiffanyjoy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch/nextbook/ and ipod touch
hi I wonder if you can help I have a next book 2 and don't know what I'm doing wrong I get the books on there but all it shows is the format not the cover for the book can you help I'm not sure exactly what I need so thanks if you can help....I changed the format to e pub to e pub and that still didn't help any ideas!? thanks!
tiffanyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Send to device does update covers in MOBI files, however only if the MOBI already had a previously defined cover. Same deal as for epub.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Send to device does update covers in MOBI files, however only if the MOBI already had a previously defined cover. Same deal as for epub.
Has this behaviour changed at all over time, Kovid? I know that there have been cases where I've had to do a conversion to make a changed cover "stick"!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not as far as I know.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Hmmm. One of life's mysteries in that case! Experience has taught me that, if I change the cover, doing a Mobi-to-Mobi conversion will always make the new cover stick, and that if I don't do so, it's pot luck. Hence, I always reconvert if I change the cover.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well, as I said, if the original MOBI file does not specify a cover properly in its metadata, the metadata update will not work. Conversion, on the other hand always works.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
Dariarb
Enthusiast
Dariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enoughDariarb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
When you read metadata from filenames, covers will not be read. Use the bulk metadata edit dialog after the books have been added to read the covers from the added book files.
What do you mean as bulk metadata?
How I can do what you are explaining to me?
How I can get that when I add a book Calibre don't read the metadatos, but create a cover, since the cover is created from the front page of the book, as much as if it is an image or it is a text?
Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Right click the edit metadata dialog and select bulk edit metadata
Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
Dariarb
Enthusiast

Quote:
Right click the edit metadata dialog and select bulk edit metadata

Understood and thanks.