Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
ziplizard
Enthusiast
ziplizard doesn't litterziplizard doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2.0
Unhappy eBook vanishing act, again (Ace Books/Penguin Group)

Has anyone noticed any pre-orders from Ace Books (or other Penguin Group publishers) disappearing from eBook stores recently?

I just checked today for the upcoming Dresden Files book on the Kindle store and it was gone while recently (probably a week or two ago) I saw it there for $12. The book comes out in stores in two days and the backlog of Dresden books are still in the Kindle store so I'm very confused. I also checked for the upcoming Sookie Stackhouse book (also published by Ace) and it wasn't there, either. It used to be listed for $10.80 pre-order.

Is this happening on any other eBook stores? And does anyone know why?
ziplizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Can't find it anywhere else. Was going to buy this, and have been looking forward to it.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziplizard View Post
Has anyone noticed any pre-orders from Ace Books (or other Penguin Group publishers) disappearing from eBook stores recently?

I just checked today for the upcoming Dresden Files book on the Kindle store and it was gone while recently (probably a week or two ago) I saw it there for $12. The book comes out in stores in two days and the backlog of Dresden books are still in the Kindle store so I'm very confused. I also checked for the upcoming Sookie Stackhouse book (also published by Ace) and it wasn't there, either. It used to be listed for $10.80 pre-order.

Is this happening on any other eBook stores? And does anyone know why?
Well, see, this is, like, the *new* strategy of these publishers. They've finally grasped the concept that they really don't *like* supplying the addiction of readers everywhere so they're trying a new approach. It's called 'cold turkey' withdrawal. See, to 'cure' an addict, one approach is to simply cut off the drug.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
LOL!! While I think there's a germ of truth in what Derek says above, (I am starting to truly believe that publishers want to kill ebooks), the real reason is that Penguin is one of the publishers who demanded that everyone go to the new agency pricing model. However, none of those publishers saw fit to implement the mechanisms on their end that would have allowed the retailers to do this seamlessly, so now the readers are paying for that.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I had a Penguin book in pre-order and Amazon has cancelled it because they don't know when it will be available (another two have been delayed to April 8th).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I had a Penguin book in pre-order and Amazon has cancelled it because they don't know when it will be available (another two have been delayed to April 8th).
Another friend has also had two preorders cancelled, with Amazon saying they don't know when they'll have the ebooks back (or IF they will). Which authors were delayed until April 8th, Terisa?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:22 AM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Both Fictionwise and Diesel have removed the Penguin published Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. Diesel were listing all the books yesterday.

The books I did buy in the series from Diesel previously cannot be downloaded now. The message reads;

Quote:
We are sorry.

The publisher has ceased publication of this title without giving us notification. Please let us know about this here and accept our apologies as we appreciate and share your frustration. Your card will be credited. We have little control in this type of situation.
Be interesting to see if I am refunded....

Last edited by sabredog; 04-06-2010 at 02:26 AM. Reason: more info to add
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:28 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Another friend has also had two preorders cancelled, with Amazon saying they don't know when they'll have the ebooks back (or IF they will). Which authors were delayed until April 8th, Terisa?
Jaye Wells (The Mage in Black) and Gail Carriger (Changeless).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:07 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziplizard View Post

I just checked today for the upcoming Dresden Files book on the Kindle store and it was gone while recently (probably a week or two ago) I saw it there for $12.
I don't know why the Kindle release was pulled. Your right it was there as of the 23 March. Now all I see is the Hardback version for sale.

This seems similar to the recent release of Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, Book 8) by Kim Harrison. The publisher delayed the ebook release 6 weeks. During this time they lost a sale to me.

If Changes by Jim Butcher is available today, tomorrow or Thursday in ebook form then I'll buy it, but if it is delayed I'll be finished reading it and they, most likely, will have lost another sale to me.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:16 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
They just want us to go back to the darknet...(or check out what is available there, for those that haven't ever been there...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:21 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
They just want us to go back to the darknet...(or check out what is available there, for those that haven't ever been there...)
One day they will understand that ebooks don't truly compete with hardback books and delaying the release of ebooks just loses them money.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
The new Dresden Files book is available from the Sony store for $12.99.

ETA, according to the author's Twitter feed it will be available from "multiple vendors" tomorrow.

Last edited by KarateMonkey; 04-06-2010 at 08:16 AM.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Both Fictionwise and Diesel have removed the Penguin published Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. Diesel were listing all the books yesterday.

The books I did buy in the series from Diesel previously cannot be downloaded now. The message reads;

Be interesting to see if I am refunded....
But if you want to buy them again, you can get them all from Sony. Sony has the Lost Fleet series available for $6.99 each and in ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
wonderboy
Enthusiast
wonderboy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Smart Q7, iPod Touch, Blackberry 8820
I too had purchased the entire Lost Fleet series from Fictionwise so I went to check the status in my bookshelf. All five books are still listed and I was able to download four of them (all in secure mobipocket) but the fifth was in ereader format and unavailable for download. None of the five is available for sale. I need to make a new backup of all Fictionwise purchases ASAP to make sure no more of my books disappear. I probably have these on my computer, but I want to make sure.
wonderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
So is Sony going to be the place to buy all these Penguin/Berkley/Putnam books for awhile?

I see they have Lisa Valdez's Patience today and I can't find it anywhere else. It does make those darknets more tempting - and no I'm not trying to get into some huge long ethics discussion on piracy. But honestly, I can spend 20 minutes searching for a place to buy the book and then another couple of minutes stripping the drm and converting it to my format.....

or I can just click click click and have the book to read.

Ridiculous.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote