Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #31
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
'What did it matter where you lay once you were dead? In a dirty sump or in a marble tower on top of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that. Oil and water were the same as wind and air to you. You just slept the big sleep, not caring about the nastiness of how you died or where you fell. Me, I was part of the nastiness now']

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post

So in the end I believe that what makes the book live is its atmosphere of nihilistic darkness.

"What did it matter where you lay once you were dead? In a dirty sump or in a marble tower on tip of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that. Oil and water were the same as wind and air to you. You just slept the big sleep, not caring about the nastiness of how you died or where you fell. Me, I was part of the nastiness now. Far more a part of it than Rusty Regan was. But the old man didn't have to be. He could lie quiet in his canopied bed,. . . His thoughts were as gray as ashes. And in a little while he too, like Rusty Regan, would be sleeping the big sleep."

I was going to give this one a pass. However, after reading the above I just have to at least give a book with an ending like the above a chance. I hope it is worth the effort, but some whose opinions I generally respect liked it.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #32
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I didn't like the book at first, but it is one of the books that gets better with a close reading and a reflecting, I found.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #33
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
"Today we're trained to be goody two-shoes, covering our eyes and ears from those things we're taught to disbelieve in. But the world keeps rubbing them in our faces. Evil is always there; you can't get rid of it. You just shift it around, and then are horrified when you trip over it. And you try to destroy anyone who take those hands covering your senses, even if they're only trying to remind that reality is there; not knowing that in the end you're just creating more evil by denying it..."

- Red
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #34
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Is there some special meaning that connects this passage to the rest of the story? Some symbolism in Marlow's dream that relates to the the other crimes? If so, I'm missing it.

Quote:
I went to bed full of whiskey and frustration and dreamed about a man in a bloody Chinese coat who chased a naked girl with long jade earrings while I ran after them and tried to take a photograph with an empty camera.

I don't think it needs to mean anything. He probably just threw it out there, thought it sounded alright, and left it in. Chandler wasn't interested in writing detectives and plot-driven novels as he was in writing quality literature. The plotting of the Big Sleep is less than clock-work. He just throws stuff in. sometimes it meanders all over the place. He doesn't care. I guess as long as he had the end worked out, it all worked out. He was probably drunk a lot of the time.

Chandler is a superlative novelist who happened to use the vehicle of detective stories. He saw the world as a dark place and created a character to rub against it.

I suspect the strength of his evocation of California in the forties is aided by his upbringing in England. He went from rainy shores to sun-soaked. It amuses me that he spells towards with an 's.'

The Long Goodbye is the novel of his I like the most. It is his opus.

I think Chandler is the true inheritor of Scott Fitzgerald's crown. They both write about class, spectral nights and the heights and the depths of the human soul.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #35
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Bogart was and still is Philip Marlowe.
I absolutely disagree, and I will endevour never to watch the movie. Though I do appreciate Bogart gave a memorable performance.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #36
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I think you missed Chandler's point, it wasn't the occasional unexpected appearence of evil behind the mask of society, but that society was evil at it's core, and that it was able to hide that fact so much of the time...
I agree and I think this goes along with my comparison of Chandler with The Great Gatsby. They both analyze decadence and wealth. Truly books for our time. They both also have a remarkable gift for description.

Someone mentioned Chandler's characters as 2-D. I don't know that I'd agree with that. I can still remember that psychopath dressed as a cowboy. The description was chilling, and I can't say why. I think it was in the Big Sleep. And the wicked, drunken, rich girl at the end who is so casual about others and life. She's a Buchanan alright.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
...It amuses me that he spells towards with an 's.'...
In my neck of the woods, that's the way people talk. I've always wondered about the proper usage of that. My Granddaddy Sharpe, who had a third grade education, had a very unique way of speaking. He would speak of this here here and that there there and always pronounce the "Elm" in "Elm Avenue" with two syllables. Could you picture Bogart as Marlow speaking like that?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #38
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:

The Long Goodbye is the novel of his I like the most. It is his opus.
He wrote that one as a means of dealing with his wife's last illness I believe. Sissy was dying (the ultimate long goodbye) and he (as I understand it) wrote it for her first and foremost.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #39
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
In my neck of the woods, that's the way people talk. I've always wondered about the proper usage of that. My Granddaddy Sharpe, who had a third grade education, had a very unique way of speaking. He would speak of this here here and that there there and always pronounce the "Elm" in "Elm Avenue" with two syllables. Could you picture Bogart as Marlow speaking like that?
I think Americans pronounce the 's' but they don't spell with it, unlike the British.

If you mean El-um, like Fil-um (for film), that would be Irish, or possibly Geordie.

No way did Marlowe speak like that, lol.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #40
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
He wrote that one as a means of dealing with his wife's last illness I believe. Sissy was dying (the ultimate long goodbye) and he (as I understand it) wrote it for her first and foremost.
There's a crazy chapter in the middle where a drunken binge turns into something resembling an acid trip. You don't read that in conventional detective tales.

On another note, I've read that Chandler's plotting was not the tightest. I'd agree with that. I think he said that when he didn't know what happened next, he'd send in a guy with a gun.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #41
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...El-um....
In his case, more like El-em. Irish influence? Perhaps.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
...I think he said that when he didn't know what happened next, he'd send in a guy with a gun.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #43
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
That bi-syllabic prononciation is still quite common {but not universal} is certain parts of the west of Ireland. I hear it quite frequently.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #44
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
American English is a derivative of Irish English.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #45
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
I did not participate in this discussion when it was going on but I LOVED this book when I read it. Of course I have seen the movie first (which I also loved) and thought the book was great. I always thought of Bogart and Bacall when reading and thought they exemplified the characters well. I just love the name Eddie Mars.

I have not read much more from Chandler but this one was awesome.
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote