Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Multiple Shelves persisting

Hey all...

Just wanted to let the powers that be know that I'm still getting the multiple shelf issue, even with the new firmware. I've updated and all that good stuff, but they're still there.

I also discovered today that I can't delete any of the multiple shelves. I'll choose "delete shelf", it asks me if I want to do that, and when I say continue--nothing happens. It goes back to the bookshelf section as though it deleted something, but all the multiples are still there.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This is more of an issue from the backend, not from the device itself. I too had a recurrence of this somepoint over the last week, and resolved it by direct database edits.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I haven't actually mucked about with the database at all, so I'm not sure how to even approach that in order to fix the problem. Good to know you can, though.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Cole's notes version of what I did was
  • Shut calibre down
  • Take a backup of the database
  • Open the database on the Kobo using a tool such as DBeaver
  • Navigate to the SHELF table and set the _IsDeleted field to true on each of the shelves
  • Drop all rows from the SHELFCONTENT table
  • Disconnect the Kobo and do a WiFi sync
  • Reconnect the Kobo and let calibre rebuild and repopulate the shelves
Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Ooh, thanks. I don't have the "DBeaver" software, so I'll have to look that up.

Thank you very much! Nice clear and concise instructions. =D
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

As I said your milage MAY vary.... so please PLEASE be careful!

http://dbeaver.jkiss.org/

I am using the Xerial driver

Path to the DB is (in my case) P:\.kobo\KoboReader.sqlite
and I made this a NON read only connection.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

I tend to be overly cautious when messing about with anything technical/computer-related--especially when it's a technique or process I've never done before. So if I do give this a try, I will be careful.

Would be nice if they got it sorted out without user intervention, though. >.<
Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
I tend to be overly cautious when messing about with anything technical/computer-related--especially when it's a technique or process I've never done before. So if I do give this a try, I will be careful.

Would be nice if they got it sorted out without user intervention, though. >.<
I have the same problem; one shelf that has become three. I can't delete any or all of them. As I understand enough to know that I don't know what I am doing, I am simply waiting for a fix from Kobo and hoping that the shelves do not procreate like rabbits.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
I have the same problem; one shelf that has become three. I can't delete any or all of them. As I understand enough to know that I don't know what I am doing, I am simply waiting for a fix from Kobo and hoping that the shelves do not procreate like rabbits.
It always seems to start off with the shelves in triplicate; it's also only certain shelves. And no matter how many times I delete them, they return every time I update my Kobo.

I've also discovered that when I add a book to one of these naughty lists, it generates yet *another* multiple of the shelf--for each book added. So the number of my shelf pages continues to increase.

Right now I've just stopped adding to the shelves that commit shenanigans.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
It always seems to start off with the shelves in triplicate; it's also only certain shelves. And no matter how many times I delete them, they return every time I update my Kobo.

I've also discovered that when I add a book to one of these naughty lists, it generates yet *another* multiple of the shelf--for each book added. So the number of my shelf pages continues to increase.

There are a couple of other threads discussing this problem, I think the first one was mine, here

https://www.mobileread.com/forum/show...99#post2347699

The solution highlighted in this thread seems to work, but you must be careful not to have an iPAD, for example, where other shelves are and are replicated onto the Kobo.
The only way to clean up the Kobo shelves is via SQLite poking, unfortunatly. DAVIDFOR who seems to know what he says, states that the Kobo servers are in trouble, and are causing this bad replications. But my problems started about a month ago and it seems not to abate yet, meaning that it already happened to me another time. And Calibre seems to add to the problem so I am wary of it. It does not seem to be widespread though, which makes me wonder.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

I first noticed it at least a month ago; I think it may have been even longer than that.

My Kobo is my only ereading device (I don't have a tablet, either), so hopefully I won't muck it up if I give this a try.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I first saw the issue back on December 8th.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Hey all...

Just wanted to let the powers that be know that I'm still getting the multiple shelf issue, even with the new firmware. I've updated and all that good stuff, but they're still there.

I also discovered today that I can't delete any of the multiple shelves. I'll choose "delete shelf", it asks me if I want to do that, and when I say continue--nothing happens. It goes back to the bookshelf section as though it deleted something, but all the multiples are still there.
Well if you had listened to me and had got folder support implemented then you would not have this problem.Instead you sided with the Luddites and now you are left holding the cupcakes.

tut.tut.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

if folder support had been added this would not happen.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
Corpsegoddess
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
Well if you had listened to me and had got folder support implemented then you would not have this problem.Instead you sided with the Luddites and now you are left holding the cupcakes.

tut.tut.
Um...what?

Sorry, I don't remember having a conversation with you at all about anything, let alone "folder support".

I think your "tuts" are misplaced here. And I am far from a Luddite, thank you very much.