Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
threebeers
threebeers began at the beginning.

Device: Palm, Sony, Nook, Literati
Calibre Saved My Cracked Screen Sony--Sort Of

I bought my PRS-505 over a year ago, love it. The screen recently cracked in the luggage coming back from a trip (the cover was of no help). The top half of the screen is now worthless, but I noticed the bottom half was unaffected. Installing a replacement screen from Sony seems to be the price of a new Kindle. I was going to sell it for scrap on ebay when it I remembered that Calibre has detailed margin settings for ebook coversions. So...

After messing around I found that a 150 pt top margin (0 margins on the side and bottom) converting to epub, with no other setting changes, gives me an entirely legible half-page read in small font. Of course I have to flip pages twice as often but oh well. I get the exact same number of lines (15) as I do on my Palm T3, so I am used to it. Another benefit is that I can use a portable reading light at the top and point it right at the text without any glare issue--the glare is on the worthless top half.

Thought this tip might come in handy for those with partially-busted screens who don't want to rebuy (at least until Qi screen readers come out). Figure out where your most remaining screen real estate lies and format to that area.
threebeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Sorry you busted your screen, but that was some slick thinking to rescue it until you're ready for a new one. I also read on a PDA/smartphone for years, so number of page turns doesn't bug me at all, either. It's more about the legibility for me.

When your thumb gets tired of paging, the 650 has a REALLY nice screen....
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
broken screen, calibre