Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-08-2008, 03:33 AM   #1
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Another fence-sitter jumps...

Title says it all really; I've been sitting on the fence for far too long regarding an e-ink reader, for all the usual reasons - my PDA's really good enough, there's something better just around the corner, price, availability, will the Sony or Kindle come to the UK later this year, will Apple produce a reader that hooks up to iTunes - but basically I'm just tired of waiting.

So I've ordered a Cybook; I figure now the updated version is out, it's a mature enough platform just to be able to buy and use (i.e. the early adopters have done the fine-tuning for me - thanks!) and I'm generally pretty happy with Mobipocket - I logged in to my account today for the first time in probably 8 months or so, and all my previously bought books are there, including a few I'd forgotten about. I'm not interested in reading PDFs on a small screen, so any problems therein are a non-issue for me.

I bought the Cybook direct from Bookeen and I paid £280-odd for the Cybook and cover, delivered; I know I could have taken advantage of the cheap dollar and bought one from the US, but I reckoned the savings involved are pretty modest when compared to a full warranty you get from buying direct.

So anyway, that's my reasoning. Let you know how I get on when it arrived in a couple of weeks.

Cheers, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Congratulations. The Cybook certainly looks like an excellent choice. Since I'm fortunate enough to live in the USA, I had more choices available and I also chose a MobiPocket-based eBook reader. I'm so impressed at the extensive list of books available just from here at MobileRead. And even more are available from Feedbooks, ManyBooks, and Munsey's.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
excellent avatar, pete. and congratulations on your choice. that will probably be my own e-ink choice in a (hopefully) not-too-distant future, although i am also keeping a close eye on the Astak devices and the as-yet still in developpment ETI e-ink version (decisions, decisions !).

first though i want to amortise the (non e-ink) device i only just recently bought, to test the water so to speak before jumping with both feet. i do love it quite a lot despite its shortcomings, so it's not too painful a wait.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. I've been happily using a PDA (Palm, then iPaq) for my eBooks for some time, but I really wanted an e-ink device for my summer hols this year, so I was on a schedule!

I'm also very interested in what Astak are doing, but I don't believe there's any way they'll get it together in time for my hols at the end of July. I also wanted a relatively mature platform - I don't want to have problems when I'm away on a very remote Greek island! And of course, I want time to iron out any workflow and err... 'pilot error' issues I may come across.

So anyway, I think it's the best choice for me right now - and if the Cybook doesn't work out for whatever reason, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to move it along without too much trouble - though probably not until after my holidays...

Cheers, Pete
Old 06-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Greek Island!
Mamma Mia!
10th July!!!!!!!!

(sorry, can't help myself)
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
(sorry, can't help myself)
Well, we can't help you either...
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by High 5 View Post
Old Iniut saying: Never eat yellow snow
Typo Alert! Typo Alert!

Shouldn't that be Inuit????

(Mwahahahahaha)
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
petermillard
Evangelist

Wow...

Quick update - just had an email from Fedex telling me my Cybook is due to be shipped on September 6th - what?

Then the penny dropped - 6/9/08 means it shipped today, or 9/6/08 as we call it here in England...

According to Fedex I should have it tomorrow, before noon.

Wow, indeed.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
lucky you....
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Quick update - just had an email from Fedex telling me my Cybook is due to be shipped on September 6th - what?

Then the penny dropped - 6/9/08 means it shipped today, or 9/6/08 as we call it here in England...

According to Fedex I should have it tomorrow, before noon.

Wow, indeed.
Aye, some parts of the world don't know what day of the month it is, sometimes...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #11
petermillard
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
lucky you....
Better to be lucky than good, sometimes..

Now, I wonder if I'll get my cover at the same time...