Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #91
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Am I the only one shocked by "The best device for reading. Period." ??

That's the kind of thing only people who don't have any argument would use... Kinda kiddish..
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #92
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Is the Aura HD not available in Japan yet?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #93
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post

That's the kind of thing only people who don't have any argument would use...
I imagine it might well fall foul of British advertising rules, unless Amazon could demonstrate the truth of the statement. But "shocking"? No. It's advertising.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #94
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I imagine it might well fall foul of British advertising rules, unless Amazon could demonstrate the truth of the statement. But "shocking"? No. It's advertising.
Totally fail then. I fell like i'm being taken for an idiot. It don't make me want to buy a kindle.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 09-04-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: .
Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #95
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Some info about Carta, the E Ink technology used in the new Paperwhite:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221657
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #96
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Is the Aura HD not available in Japan yet?
No, I don't think it will ever be.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #97
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Ordered. I skipped the last few releases but my IPad has sold me on the lighting for night time reading.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #98
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:

That's the kind of thing only people who don't have any argument would use... Kinda kiddish..
Not quite as vague, but not too dissimilar to Kobo's "ComfortLight; the best, most even, built in front-light." And didn't the Nook previously market itself as having the best light?

Like HarryT says, its just advertising. Neither of the claims to be "the best" make me want to choose one over the other though....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #99
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Not quite as vague, but not too dissimilar to Kobo's "ComfortLight; the best, most even, built in front-light." And didn't the Nook previously market itself as having the best light?

Like HarryT says, its just advertising. Neither of the claims to be "the best" make me want to choose one over the other though....
Didn't saw these ads
Maybe it would be less agressive without the "Period."
Old 09-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #100
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The PW holds well over 1000 typically-sized novels. That represents something like 12 years' worth of reading for me.
Well, I've got over 850 currently in my kindle. Most were rebuys of favorites I had in boxes and shelves. I still have about 10 boxes full of favorite keepers I'd like to replace as I can afford. Since only about 1 in 10 of read books turn out to be keepers I go through a lot of books. Generally about 1/day. No one implies to someone with a personal library room that they buy too many books. And if you have the books you need to keep them organized so that you can find them again if you want to re-read them and I re-read my favorites a lot. Any book not good enough to want to re-read was wasted money for me.

In any case with the cloud not able to be organized and not trusted to maintain all my purchases anyway, and the kindle itself not able to hold all my books I'm not impressed by it's features.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #101
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Well, I've got over 850 currently in my kindle. Most were rebuys of favorites I had in boxes and shelves. I still have about 10 boxes full of favorite keepers I'd like to replace as I can afford. Since only about 1 in 10 of read books turn out to be keepers I go through a lot of books. Generally about 1/day. No one implies to someone with a personal library room that they buy too many books. And if you have the books you need to keep them organized so that you can find them again if you want to re-read them and I re-read my favorites a lot. Any book not good enough to want to re-read was wasted money for me.

In any case with the cloud not able to be organized and not trusted to maintain all my purchases anyway, and the kindle itself not able to hold all my books I'm not impressed by it's features.
Like many here at MR, I use Calibre to store and organise my eBook library, and find that to be an eminently satisfactory solution. I have no wish to store my entire library on my Kindle; I've been buying and creating my own ebooks for close to 30 years now, and have far too many for that to be remotely feasible.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #102
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I see Kindle will have something that looks suspiciously like Reading Life achievements. What do they say about imitation and flattery?
LOL. That screen makes me think of one of my former colleagues, who always shouted "A-hiieee-iieeve-ment un-LOCKED!" when some goal was reached unexpectedly early or with unexpected high results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Until they increase the user memory to at least as large as the Kindle Keyboard I'm not interested.
Meh. If there is no way to properly organise and search books, then the biggest memory is useless. If you have 32GB of memory, then you'd better have a system to search by authors, genre, year of publication, number of pages, and combinations of those things. Compare it to the way you can search with any decent music player.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-04-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #103
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Didn't saw these ads
Maybe it would be less agressive without the "Period."
Yes I guess it wouldn't seem quite so bold, but hey, that's advertising for you! Incidentally, the Kobo "best light" isn't even an ad, its from the Aura's tech specs at Kobo. Again, just marketing speak.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #104
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourl29 View Post
While you do make some fair points, have you actually tried the kindle with calibre, it's a piece of cake to keep your library in both epub and mobi (and they take very, very little space) and sync with the kindle. I think the vast majority here will attest to that. As far as including text to speech or audible support in the kpw, it's a fair point, and I am with you. I too miss both.
I just installed Kindle for PC and the extension-that-shall-not-be-named last night, and yes, it's pretty easy. It adds steps, but even getting a book out of Amazon's cloud, stripped, converted, and uploaded to Google's cloud for TTS is only going to take about 5 minutes, assuming I have access to my PC. As for audio, I'm not looking for speakers on an ereader; I just wish the Kindle mobile apps supported TTS rather than artificially restricting that feature to the Fire(s). They are, in effect, extorting money from the blind and impaired, along with the rest of us who want TTS.

The improved screen and the presumably smooth operation (including the dynamic refresh in the new screens) are the attraction, but basically everything else is a pain in the tuchus, and most of the business decisions are actively offensive.

I'm hoping B&N drop one more Android reader before the holidays. Even without the Carta technology, as long as it has a decent light and higher PPI (hopefully closer to the Aura than the KPW), I'd snap it up. Well, I'd wait until there was a confirmed method to enable Unknown Sources, then I'd snap it up Getting Google Play Books on an eInk device would be ideal, with the cross-device syncing and solid TTS--again, not on the device, but synced and ready to go when I pull out my phone or tablet. I'd also rather have a 7" screen, but that's not likely. Honestly the Aura HD would be ideal if not for crippled firmware at such a high price.

I'm not ruling out this new KPW--if I manage it with Calibre, most of the annoyances should fade into the background and it will just be a nice screen to read books on. Meanwhile I'm supporting the company that's doing more than anyone to keep my options so limited

Last edited by taosaur; 09-04-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Aura --> Aura HD
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #105
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
No, I don't think it will ever be.
That surprises me since Kobo is Rakuten owned. Kanji always look much better in higher resolution. This one boggles the mind.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote