Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
Crusher
Crusher began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Save to disk template help plz.

After reading around 20 different threads and still not finding the answer I need I figure it's time to ask the Calibre gurus

I need a template for my save to disk section. Atm I'm trying to use {author_sort}/{title}/{author_sort} - {series} - {title} but It's not working.

I want the file to save on disk with the Author name (ex. Frederik Pohl) - Series + number (Heechee Series 01) - Name of book (Gateway).

Is it doable?

Last edited by Crusher; 03-15-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Doable Yes
Usable No

I just answered this similar question with the reasoning in the past week
The arguments still pertain when using STD
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172046
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Crusher

That thread is about "Sorting Author and Series at startup".

I did post a question about sorting in the main window in the same thread (it's true) but I found the solution to it and I've delete it.

I need help with a Save to Disk template NOT (anymore) sorting books at start up.

I want the OUTPUT file after the conversion to be saved in the same manner as in the screenshot.

From everything I've read so far this is possible by creating a template (which I don't know how) in the "Save to disk" section of Preferences, but everything I've tried so far ended in a mega fail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 3.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	482.8 KB
ID:	83970  

Last edited by Crusher; 03-15-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
That thread is about "Sorting Author and Series at startup".

I did post a question about sorting in the main window in the same thread (it's true) but I found the solution to it and I've delete it.

I need help with a Save to Disk template NOT (anymore) sorting books at start up.

I want the OUTPUT file after the conversion to be saved in the same manner as in the screenshot.

From everything I've read so far this is possible by creating a template in the "Save to disk" section of Preferences.
The Exact same logic prevails

SERIES first is the only thing that matters in this.

And please do NOT delete the body of 'solved' threads. They are left so others may learn
Old 03-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Crusher

What do you mean by "SERIES first is the only thing that matters in this."?

Then why is there the "Save to disk" section if you can't actually modify the parameters?

And atm Calibre saves my converted files in the Book Name - Author manner not even with the Series name first.

Last edited by Crusher; 03-15-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
What do you mean by "SERIES first is the only thing that matters in this."?

They why is there the "Save to disk" section if you can't actually modify the parameters?
You are being really, really, Dense

You can modify parameters, nothing is stopping you except the RESULTS EXPECTED

Go read my post's explanation,
again
Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Crusher

Ok then i'll c/p here what you said there:

Quote:
Sorting Title After series is nonsense. It is either a Series Or a Title order. It can't be both.

Sorting by Author vs Series is another Priority issue

Try to Sort: Titles first, Authors Next Which leaves Authors with the Titles in order, then sort by Series Which will adjust a few Authors
Maybe I'm just to thickheaded to understand what your saying there or maybe my English is more terrible then I thought.

Your telling me that Sorting books in the main window applies the same "logic" as SAVING them after the conversion?

AGAIN (just to be clear) I need a template for that section of Calibre (see screenshot plz).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 4.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	83980  
Old 03-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
I need a template for my save to disk section. Atm I'm trying to use {author_sort}/{title}/{author_sort} - {series} - {title} but It's not working.
??? define specifically "not working"

Quote:
I want the file to save on disk with the Author name (ex. Frederik Pohl) - Series + number (Heechee Series 01) - Name of book (Gateway).
  • If you want author Fn/Ln order then don't use {author_sort}; it yields Ln/Fn
  • {series} returns only series name; if you want the number you need an additional field {series_index}.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Code:
{series}/{series_index:0>2s} {title}_{id}_{authors}
ID is optional, I use (That is the calibre library) ID to help detect a duplicate if the title or series metadata gets updated. The book will still have the same ID.

Books can Be in a series or Not

Books within a series can and do have different Authors, making that the LEAST valuable sort
Series index is the (sub)Sort, not the Title if you want a reading order

I keep most of my library available on my 4G SD Card on a device that does not have a Library manager.

No Series are file by Author then Title
Series are filed under Series, then Index (with title) and just carry Author along as a nice to know

Because I have so many books (the device menu show 8 items) .
the first level is broken into folders: Authors (last name: First letter)
Series name first letter
This makes only 4 pages to look at on the first layer, up to 5 pages on the second layer. I have Third layers as big as 12 pages

Here is the very complicated template (designed by chaley) that does this:
Code:
program: 
test(	field('series'), 
	strcat(
		substr(field('series'), 0, 1),
		template("-series/{series}/{series_index:0>2s}-{title}_{id}_{authors}")
	),
	template("00noseries/{author_sort[0]}_authors/{authors}/{title}_{id}-{authors}")
)
Old 03-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Crusher

We're finally starting to speak the same language

After a bit of more digging on the forum and some help from a friend I managed to find the problem: seems that I was suppose to manually Save the book the another folder/device after I convert it.

After a bit more work I got to this template working: {author}/{title}/{author} - ({series} {series_index:0>2s}) - {title} which is more on my liking.

Ofc your suggestions are more then welcome but I personally know no series being written by any other author except the one who started it (collaborations yes but no different author).
It's a good tip to use the name of the series first instead of author and I promise I'll take it in consideration (at least for the series that have more then one authors).

I have one more problem: after I save the book in another folder the name of the series gets screwed up like: (Monarchies of God, The 01) - Paul Kearney - Hawkwood's Voyage.
Is there something I can do so that "The" is put at the beginning of the name? Or maybe I should just delete it altogether?

Old 03-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
We're finally starting to speak the same language

After a bit of more digging on the forum and some help from a friend I managed to find the problem: seems that I was suppose to manually Save the book the another folder/device after I convert it.

After a bit more work I got to this template working: {author}/{title}/{author} - ({series} {series_index:0>2s}) - {title} which is more on my liking.

Ofc your suggestions are more then welcome but I personally know no series being written by any other author except the one who started it (collaborations yes but no different author).
It's a good tip to use the name of the series first instead of author and I promise I'll take it in consideration (at least for the series that have more then one authors).

I have one more problem: after I save the book in another folder the name of the series gets screwed up like: (Monarchies of God, The 01) - Paul Kearney - Hawkwood's Voyage.
Is there something I can do so that "The" is put at the beginning of the name? Or maybe I should just delete it altogether?

There is a sort tweak in Preferences: Tweaks that affects ALL of Calibre.
Library order is the default
Old 03-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Crusher

Found it and fixed.

Thank you everyone for all your help.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

another project settled out