Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Kobo to open German ebookstore today

Kobo will be officially launching an ebookstore in Germany today. This story leaked last night, so by the time you read this most of the details will be well known.

The ebookstore will have 80 thousand titles at launch, which is a lot more than the 25 thousand that the German Kindle Store had when it opened.

Kobo's iOS and Android apps will be available today (ish), with the Kobo Touch coming in August. Retail will be 149 euros.

via The Digital Reader

Last edited by Nate the great; 07-13-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Kobo will be officially launching an ebookstore in Germany today. This story leaked last night, so by the time you read this most of the details will be well known.

The ebookstore will have 80 thousand titles at launch, which is a lot more than the 25 thousand that the German Kindle Store had when it opened.

Kobo's iOS and Android apps will be available today (ish), with the Kobo Touch coming in August. Retail will be 149 euros.

via The Digital Reader
Strange.
I've been buying German eBooks from Kobo for weeks now, first one June 17th. I've partially switched from Kindle to Kobo, as BlackBerry PlayBook for now only has a Kobo app and has become one of my favorite eBook readers.
So, buying German eBooks for 4 weeks now from Kobo, my assumption was the German bookstore is in place already.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 AM   #3
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
I rather think this will be a German-language website etc., too. So far they've been seeling German books via their English store, haven't they?
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
I rather think this will be a German-language website etc., too. So far they've been seeling German books via their English store, haven't they?
Correct. The German eBooks had been integrated in the English bookstore. When searching for an author, you've got mixed results for both languages,
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
A quick look also shows that they'll be having a much larger selection of books. The article mentions 80,000 German books, which certainly is ambitious, given that Amazon has about 30,000. Well, let's just wait and see. Amazon certainly needs some serious competition over here as well.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 05:22 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Great news. I hope the french store will follow
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Strange.
I've been buying German eBooks from Kobo for weeks now, first one June 17th. I've partially switched from Kindle to Kobo, as BlackBerry PlayBook for now only has a Kobo app and has become one of my favorite eBook readers.
So, buying German eBooks for 4 weeks now from Kobo, my assumption was the German bookstore is in place already.
Yep. The German language ebooks have been in Kobo for over a month.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The full press release is here: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../13/c5080.html

Quote:
Kobo, a global leader in eReading with over 4.2 million users worldwide, has expanded its international footprint with today's launch of one of the largest digital book stores offering German-language content, apps, and the new Kobo eReader Touch Edition in German. With this launch, Kobo offers 80,000 German language titles and a total of 2.4 million eBooks, making it the largest eBookstore in Germany. The new store, managed by a German team, features popular titles such as Susan Elizabeth Phillips' "Die schonsten Fehler meines Lebens," "Der alte Konig in seinem Exil" (Arno Geiger) and "Der ultimative Ratgeber fur alles" (Dieter Nuhr).

GROUND-BREAKING GERMAN READING APPS
As part of the launch, Kobo has developed free German-language apps for iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® and Android(TM), with a PlayBook(TM) app coming soon. The apps bring a next-generation reading experience to users. Kobo's German eBookstore debuts today at www.kobobooks.de with German-language best sellers, attractive new releases and classics that are part of the 80,000 title German eBook library.
The press release goes on to say a German language edition of the Kobo Touch will be in stores in August.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Hehehe ... I am redirected to kobobooks.com when I try for the .de site.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Is your IP in Germany? (I am guessing you show up as United States.) I get "redirected" to the Canadian store -- there is no way to "see" the US, UK, NZ, AU or HK stores from my computer. I expect the same will be true of the German and other stores.

German content (and French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish) that can be purchased if rights exist for Canada, automatically shows up for me because I have a Canadian IP.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
wmaurer
Enthusiast
wmaurer doesn't litterwmaurer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yep. The German language ebooks have been in Kobo for over a month.
Sorry if I'm being a bit stupid, but I can't work out how to browse only German language books without doing a search first. After I "search by title, author, subject or ISBN", I can refine by language, but I can't seem to browse by category and then filter by language.

I'm sure the kobobooks.de would give me this functionality, but I live in Switzerland, so I get redirected to kobobooks.com.

-Wayne
wmaurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaurer View Post
Sorry if I'm being a bit stupid, but I can't work out how to browse only German language books without doing a search first. After I "search by title, author, subject or ISBN", I can refine by language, but I can't seem to browse by category and then filter by language.

I'm sure the kobobooks.de would give me this functionality, but I live in Switzerland, so I get redirected to kobobooks.com.

-Wayne
I don't know how to do it either.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #13
SCorbet
SCorbet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaurer View Post

I've a German IP address, but I'm also being redirected to the .com store. But clicking on "New Releases", etc. gives me lists of books only in German.

I can't find anyway to find only German books without as you said doing a search. There also doesn't seem to be a way to change the "New Releases", etc. back to English either.
SCorbet is offline   Reply With Quote