Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
sglinert
Enthusiast
sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPod Touch 5, Illudium Q-42 Explosive Space Modulator
Best PDF reader for actually reading

I know there are lots of apps for viewing pdfs. I even have three of them--GoodReader, iAnnotate, and PDFMax Pro. They are nice for annotating PDFs, but none of them are very good for actually reading a book. The pages wiggle when you touch the screen and I hate that.

Suggestions?
sglinert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
There's iBooks if you want something free. I use ComicGlass which is the same app I use for reading manga.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
sglinert
Enthusiast
sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sglinert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pathetically slow.

I can't believe with all the reader people out there, nobody can recommend a speedy PDF reader app that doesn't gum up the works with annotations.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sglinert View Post
Pathetically slow.

I can't believe with all the reader people out there, nobody can recommend a speedy PDF reader app that doesn't gum up the works with annotations.
Which is slow? iBooks or ComicGlass? Because I regularly use the latter for 200MB scanned PDFs and it works pretty fast for me.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
There is also Adobe Reader which isn't bad but the display is scrolling rather than page flipping.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:55 AM   #6
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
GoodReader is best one I've used.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:08 AM   #7
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Me too, I just you Adobe Reader, maybe it's not the best but it's still a good one
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #8
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
I know there are lots of apps for viewing pdfs. I even have three of them--GoodReader, iAnnotate, and PDFMax Pro. They are nice for annotating PDFs, but none of them are very good for actually reading a book. The pages wiggle when you touch the screen and I hate that.

Suggestions?
I use PerfectReader 2, Adobe Reader, Foxit PDF, SideBooks, iBooks, Stanza, free versions only.

Last edited by markom; 05-16-2013 at 05:20 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
sglinert
Enthusiast

Perfect Books and Side Books are terrific! Thanks so very much...now I have to decide between them
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
boof
boof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
This has come up loads of times - did you search?

Anyway - cloudreader is the fastest I've used. Though I'm not sure how the new version looks as I believe it's moved to an ad funded model. I've avoided updating so far.

An awful lot depends on your PDF file though. Both in terms of general sizing etc but also the structure and how it's been made.
boof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
There is also Adobe Reader which isn't bad but the display is scrolling rather than page flipping.
Adobe Reader has both "Single Page" and "Continuous" (scrolling) reading mode.

The one feature I wish were in every mobile PDF reading app is ability to automatically or manually crop margins and have that stick between reading sessions. Even on a 10" screen margins are a waste of space.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:48 AM   #12
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
does comparison table for PDF readers exist?

would be most interesting.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Adobe Reader has both "Single Page" and "Continuous" (scrolling) reading mode.

The one feature I wish were in every mobile PDF reading app is ability to automatically or manually crop margins and have that stick between reading sessions. Even on a 10" screen margins are a waste of space.
Goodreader does it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote