Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
This is the reason my Sony PRS-350 and 950 readers still blow away the competition. None of this ridiculous (read poor engineering) indexing, etc.
The fact that is does indexing is one of the most useful things about the Kindle allowing, as it does, full-text searches across your whole library. It's a feature I use frequently.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #47
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Maybe but only if it works properly. If you have to load 20 books at a time for fear of it freezing then it's useless to some with large libraries. And as has been demonstrated in numerous threads on the topic it's not a feature that works properly at this point.

Just take a look at my example. Give conflicting information.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #48
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Any Idea why it's telling me there are 500 books left to index then it says 0 books left to index when I click on that?
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #49
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You're suppose to keep the Kindle plugged in till indexing is done. Otherwise it will take forever and the battery will drain quickly.
Please excuse the reply to and old post. I've got a Kindle PPW last week (late arriving Christmas present). So I'm still learning about it.

What is this indexing, why does it need to be done, how's it done? And when books are "uploaded" to it, how's this done?

I use Calibre to "send to device" either via USB or more recently, use the email send to feature to send to the cloud for all devices to access.

I don't recall ever having to index books on my Kindle DX.

Thanks.
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #50
DailyPlanet
This world is not my home
DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis 2
I actually decided to risk it when I upgraded to the PW from my touch. I loaded all 1808 books I own onto my PW all at once. I left it plugged in for a couple days and it indexed everything no problem. When I did a few books at a time on my touch it took far longer waiting for everything to index.
DailyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
Please excuse the reply to and old post. I've got a Kindle PPW last week (late arriving Christmas present). So I'm still learning about it.

What is this indexing, why does it need to be done, how's it done? And when books are "uploaded" to it, how's this done?

I use Calibre to "send to device" either via USB or more recently, use the email send to feature to send to the cloud for all devices to access.

Thanks.
It happens automatically. You don't have to do anything.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #52
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Thanks.
As Harry said it's automatic you don't have to do anything but if you're going to add a ton of books it's best to charge the Kindle while it indexes the books or the battery will just go down significantly and it will take forever for it to finish.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #53
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyPlanet View Post
I actually decided to risk it when I upgraded to the PW from my touch. I loaded all 1808 books I own onto my PW all at once. I left it plugged in for a couple days and it indexed everything no problem. When I did a few books at a time on my touch it took far longer waiting for everything to index.
How were you able to put 1,808 books on the PW? What file format are you using? My PW has 448 books & is half full. I use the .mobi file format.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #54
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Harry and Blossom...

I've put about 20 books on it so far, done some reading, organised collections and so on, over the past week. Battery is down to a bit under 50%.

Someone suggested to keep "page refresh" or something like that turned off. What does this option do if turned on (other than to drain the battery faster)?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #55
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Someone suggested to keep "page refresh" or something like that turned off. What does this option do if turned on (other than to drain the battery faster)?
There can be some 'ghosting' left on the page after a while of page turns, the page refresh 'flashes' the page and clears this...the default is every 5 or 6 page turns. I have not found it to effect my battery life. On the other hand, I've never noticed any 'ghosting' either!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #56
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
This is the reason my Sony PRS-350 and 950 readers still blow away the competition. None of this ridiculous (read poor engineering) indexing, etc.
That is an improvement over the PRS-505 firmware then, which was so poorly coded as to be completely unusable with a large number of books loaded.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #57
mjt57
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
There can be some 'ghosting' left on the page after a while of page turns, the page refresh 'flashes' the page and clears this.
Thanks for the info.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #58
DailyPlanet
This world is not my home
DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DailyPlanet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
How were you able to put 1,808 books on the PW? What file format are you using? My PW has 448 books & is half full. I use the .mobi file format.
All .mobi I actually have gone in a deleted a couple hundred as I could not update the firmware to the latest with no free space. I uploaded all my books to my kindle through email. When I upgraded to the PW, I just hit the cloud tab and touched the title of each book then synced my collections from my old touch.
DailyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #59
mjt57
Connoisseur

Talking about battery life, I've had my PPW for about two weeks now. The battery lasted til yesterday when I had to put it on the charger. It's had about 9hrs of usage if the time-to-read calculator thingy is any guide for the one book that I've read, so far.

Not too shabby given that it's running a light when it's on.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #60
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I had about 35 hours on one charge and that's restarting the Kindle multiple times to playing with fonts and a firmware update. I have to say the PW battery life is the best I have seen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote