Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #46
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
There's already thousands of e-books in ePub available on Feedbooks, and you can of course turn RSS feeds into ePub too using our service: http://www.feedbooks.com

I'll do an official release for our sync software, I'll change my subscriptions to ePub once the firmware upgrade is available. Just have to plug-in my device every morning, and it automatically downloads all my RSS feeds to it.

Here's Mobileread in ePub:
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Hadrien, that sounds quite nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #48
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
I have been told adobe de for ebook-devices requires at least 128mb ram and that is why it will never run on the 500.
They've mentioned "possible hardware limitations" on the 500 before, but they wouldn't specify what they might be at the time. If that's truly a constraint then yeah, that would keep DE from ever being on the 500.

My poor, forlorn 500.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would love to see Sony do a "send in your 500 for a memory upgrade" for a small fee. That would be a great idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #50
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

How much RAM in the 500 ? 505 ?

16Mb is clearly not enough for DE support for example.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #51
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The link to the press release in the original post is live now, as you all know the upgrade still isn't posted. I guess they've only had time for one Starbuck's yet this morning.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #52
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Wowser, these americans don't half lie in bed late - it 14:00 here and still no dounload....
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #53
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarusbop View Post
Wowser, these americans don't half lie in bed late - it 14:00 here and still no dounload....
That 2 p.m. for the none military minded!

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #54
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
When y'all get it downloaded and flashed, let us know if they fixed anything in the original list of limitations, like folders, TOC and pictures in RTF, ect. I know that's not as sexy as Epub and reflowable PDF, but still important to us dinosaurs...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #55
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One more reason to convert the rest of my catalog to ePub!

It's funny: Just this week, I was introduced to my first Kindle in the flesh, and was satisfied enough with finally handling and examining it to agree that it might be worth my purchasing some day. Then this news comes out, just 2 days later, and I have to say that to me it puts the PRS-505 slightly ahead of the Kindle on my wish list. (How do they do that?!?).

In reality, I probably won't get either soon... I just found out I have to replace my 15-year-old fridge (D'Oh!). But maybe that will give Amazon and Sony time to come up with some more upgrades!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #56
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The link to the press release in the original post is live now, as you all know the upgrade still isn't posted.
Quote:
Starting next month, new Readers model PRS-505, will be able to access and accept secure and non-secure ebooks in the EPUB format.
Er what?!
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #57
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Wow... I'm just catching up on this news. I'm still not very happy with Sony, but this would go a long way toward appeasing me.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #58
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Er what?!
They'll probably start distributing the PRS-505 directly with the firmware upgrade next month only. I guess they'll do a different packaging too.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #59
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The link to the press release in the original post is live now, as you all know the upgrade still isn't posted.
Quote:
Starting next month, new Readers model PRS-505, will be able to access and accept secure and non-secure ebooks in the EPUB format.
Er what?!
They're referring to new-bought Readers, igorsk, they basically aren't committing to the ones on the store shelves today having the new firmware yet.

It is a bit confusingly put, though.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #60
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Er what?!
The press release also says:

Quote:
Users can download the upgrade for current PRS-505 models, starting on today from the Sony support site...
So I'm pretty sure the "next month" bit means Readers shipping with the new firmware out-of-the-box.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, digital editions, epub, firmware, pdf, prs500, reflow, update