Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
makaza
makaza began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Authors sorting on First Name, Last Name

Firstly thanks to everyone who takes the trouble to help and develop Calibre - a brilliant piece of software!

The problem I'm having is that Authors are displaying as LN, FN but sorting on the FN, LN.

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

I've tried the sort algorithim and manage authors but I clearly haven't found the right combination

What I would find useful for the future is a facility to have imported books match the predominant sort arrangements existing in the current library or better still the equivalent of the Microsoft Office "format painter" button to copy sort values.
Regards
Anzhelika
makaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaza View Post
Firstly thanks to everyone who takes the trouble to help and develop Calibre - a brilliant piece of software!

The problem I'm having is that Authors are displaying as LN, FN but sorting on the FN, LN.

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

I've tried the sort algorithim and manage authors but I clearly haven't found the right combination

What I would find useful for the future is a facility to have imported books match the predominant sort arrangements existing in the current library or better still the equivalent of the Microsoft Office "format painter" button to copy sort values.
Regards
Anzhelika
Calibre normally expects Fn Ln
There is a Preference under 'Adding books' (right side) to swap.

You can also use the Search and Replace function of Bulk metadata edit to repair existing entries
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
makaza

Thanks for a quick response but unfortunately I'm no further forward.
1. I can't see a preference under adding books to swap - simply options for the type directory structure I'm importing from . Have I misunderstood you?
2. Presumably the first option only applies before the books are imported so it won't help

3. Can you explain how the Search and Replace function could be used in this case - an example would be useful?
Regards
Anzhelika
Old 02-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you read the fine manual (FAQ) http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id37 ?

REGEX mode
Source: Author field: (.+),(.+)
Replace: \2 \1

The samples (on the right) should look right if you have the correct pattern
Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
makaza

Yes, I did read the manual and have searched the forums but clearly did not find a solution - hence my post

I will try using your examples in the morning and let you know
Thanks
Anzhelika
Old 02-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Yes, I did read the manual and have searched the forums but clearly did not find a solution - hence my post

I will try using your examples in the morning and let you know
Thanks
Anzhelika
Be sure to tick the automatic set Author sort on the first tab as well (you are fixing Authors)
Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
1. I can't see a preference under adding books to swap - simply options for the type directory structure I'm importing from . Have I misunderstood you?
You are looking in the popup options for the Add Books icon. What you want is under Preferences (icon with the gears, or you can find it in the top menubar).

Inside the Preferences (or change calibre behavior) section, click on Adding Books. You'll find a tick box at the top right of the page that says "Swap author first name and last name". I find that helps, since most sources seem to be set up LN, FN instead of FN, LN like calibre.

Last edited by Synamon; 02-10-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
makaza

Having used the tips provided I have resolved the sorting problem - all books now sort by LN FN however I now have the problem that some authors are displayed as FN LN and some are displayed as LN, FN.

How do I standardise the display so that all authors display as LN, FN.?

Any advice would be appreciated
Regards
Anzhelika
Old 02-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I wish that Calibre had a button on the Edit Metadata page to swap LN, FN to FN, LN in the author field.

If I add 10 books, 5 will be one way, 4 will be the other way, and 1 will have the title in the author field. So a quick method of swapping LN, FN to FN, LN would be VERY nice.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I wish that Calibre had a button on the Edit Metadata page to swap LN, FN to FN, LN in the author field.

If I add 10 books, 5 will be one way, 4 will be the other way, and 1 will have the title in the author field. So a quick method of swapping LN, FN to FN, LN would be VERY nice.
Click and hold on the button to the right of the authors to bring up a menu of some 5 options. One of them should do what you want.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Pinecone - and if you want to do it from the library view, rather than the single metadata edit dialog, you can use the Quality Check plugin, which has an option under the "Fix" menu.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Thanks.

But, it doesn't deal well with commas.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Thanks.

But, it doesn't deal well with commas.
Do you have an example? For "normal" names of "Bloggs, Joe" <-> "Joe Bloggs" it works perfectly fine. Do you have some other example which it needs to handle better?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
If you download metadata for these books the error should be fixed to the standard way, commas and all

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #15
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
I'm not saying anything, in fact I'm not even here...
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote