Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
JB5: downgrading FW->possible ?

I tried upgrading my year old JB with the latest FW and it is now un-usable for me.
All I really needed it for was TXT and PDF files and post upgrade it does the PDFs semi-reliably, but locks up tight on any TXT files.
(Just for yucks I tried other file types and the results are very random.)

There is a thread here about using the Chinese FW which fascinates me, but before I get myself in WAY too deep I'd like to ask a question which I've seen asked here in other threads, but not answered:

What is the 'trick' to downgrading JB FW ?

I got mine UP to 0.35k and back to 0.35a (?) but it failed when I tried to go below that, every time.

Since it originally had 0.33g I suspect there is an incompatibility or bug of some sort and going too new is a very bad thing.
I would rather believe this than to think the JB has gone bad and is now just doing random things because it is 'crazy' somehow.

And if anyone is inclined to answer me...what are the tricks, meaning cross changes possible between the JB and other device's FW, has anyone tried other types in the JB with success ?

Thanks !

mark
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Seeing as you are in the .35 range why not take it to the latest. I believe .35m and see if this resolves your issues.

I went from original .34 to .35a2 (custom version located here in the forum).

As for cross FW installs there are a few threads posted within this forum.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Exclamation been there/done that/no more sequels, thanks.

Quote:
Seeing as you are in the .35 range why not take it to the latest. I believe .35m and see if this resolves your issues.
Been there/done that - it was the WORST of all.

OK:
Quote:
I went from original .34 to .35a2 (custom version located here in the forum).
Is that one buggy at all ? Does your JB lock up ? Is it a year+ old like mine ?

I did not find them, so I asked here:
Quote:
As for cross FW installs there are a few threads posted within this forum.
Only the Chinese one which leaves me with serious and unanswered questions...

Thanks for your reply and Best Wishes.

mark
Old 08-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

My JB which I purchased in late Jan 2010 came with the .34 Firmware. It had no DRM support whatsoever. I only loaded up .35a2 because it gave ADE DRM support. I opted for the custom version which allows a serif font - supplied in the thread.

My JB never locked up. Even after doing the .35a(2).

I still have some of the issues that are experienced by both the JB and the ALP w/re to getting the wrong first page when opening a new book. That is resolved by just backing out and opening the book again using the "OK" button.

You could always try doing a "Restore to default" found in the "Settings" menu's. followed by a pressing and holding the "Reset" button for the slow count of 20-30. Then do a reboot and see if it locks up. If it does then take this opportunity to re-do the FW update.

Note: the "restore to Default" will screw up your adobe folder so take a backup first to your HDD. If not the FW install will restore it.

The other thing. Are the lock ups occurring with the same ebooks. I have had a few instances where downloading the ebook and replacing the first copy with a fresh copy has resolved some issues. Sometime getting the book from a different source (if possible) works as well. Sometimes issues are with a document and not the reader.

Keep your nested folders to three and under. More than three nested folders can cause problems.

I have an Alurateh (ALP) as well and it pretty well has the same issues w/re to getting a previous open books page up when opening another ebook.

John
Old 08-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
jlg432
Addict

Something I just thought of and it is just because you stated you had yours for over a year.

How much user space is available after the .35? FW update. Mine went from 110 to 90.8 megs. I was just wondering if the total storage was the same across the older device. Hardware wise the ALP has the same storage value.

(I moved all my books off of the Internal user memory to an SD card)

here is the link for one of the cross FW installs - I am not interested so I do not know it's full story.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65256

John

Last edited by jlg432; 08-16-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Unhappy Boo Hoo.

Thanks John !
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg432 View Post
How much user space is available after the .35? FW update. Mine went from 110 to 90.8 megs. I was just wondering if the total storage was the same across the older device. Hardware wise the ALP has the same storage value.
(I moved all my books off of the Internal user memory to an SD card)
I've never used the internal storage at all and have always deleted the extra, useless freebie stuff they include.

And thanks twice !:
Quote:
here is the link for one of the cross FW installs - I am not interested so I do not know it's full story.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65256
Sadly I've tried everything every which way and it is now rather firmly stuck at 0.35a2 with massive TXT file lock up problems.
I suspect it has a h/w problem and that is why nothing seems to help it.

Best Wishes.

mark

Tags
chinese, downgrade, firmware, jetbook, upgrade