Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Fictionwise and the rooted nook

Greetings,

Is it possible to download books from Fictionwise over the wifi connection on a rooted nook (such as with trook?). I understand that trook allows you to download books from Stanza catalogues. Will this allow you to access your Fictionwise account? Can one download books through the web browser? I've been able to download my multiformat books through the web browser on my kindle; if I could do this with a rooted nook it would seriously tip the scales in my consideration of the device.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
well, I know fictionwise works with the stanza iphone app. I don't know though if the nook would support the drm that fictionwise uses or not.
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmots View Post
well, I know fictionwise works with the stanza iphone app. I don't know though if the nook would support the drm that fictionwise uses or not.

The ereader drmed books will work with the nook as will the multiformat books. I imagine that I could get there with the web browser, provided that the web browser allows me to download files (and, of course, sign in to my account).
Old 03-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
hharan
Connoisseur
hharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enoughhharan will become famous soon enough

Device: nook
it doesn't work well in the browser since nook doesn't support javascript dropdown lists and the fictionwise website is full of them.

But, I'm working on adding fictionwise & kobo books library support to my books app. ( those are the 2 I use ).
Since I couldn't find any documents on their web APIs, I'm just trying to use the mobile websites and parse the content. Of course, that means the logic will break if they change their web pages.
Anybody has a better idea? or links to the APIs?

Thanks.
hharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
I wrote my own script (in perl) to download from Fictionwise my library and update the metadata for it.

It works great for multi-format ePub, Mobi and eReader. Of course, Adobe ePub, MS LIT, Adobe PDFs, etc. have a special dance it does to download the book, which I didn't bother to learn.

My script uses the main web page, which is really simple to parse (and full of errors!). It has worked for a year now. I also use the Bulk download page, as it is the only way I could find to get Purchase Date field, which is important to me.

Last edited by riemann42; 03-18-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Adding detail.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

To answer my own question, the fictionwise website works well on the rooted nook via the browser. Ereader DRMed books easily downloaded directly to the device. I need to experiment to see if I can get the multiformat books to download.