Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
New eBook company has rights to Catch-22

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/bo...er=rss&emc=rss

Including Catch-22, Iris Murdoch, and a host of other stuff.

Quote:
Electronic “is going to be the center of the universe,” said Ms. Friedman, a flamboyant and relentless booster of authors during her four-decade career in New York publishing. “We really think that what we’re going to do is to help transform the industry, which is built on models that we all know are broken.”
She'll find plenty of support for that here!!

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
No mention of formats or DRM?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
No mention of formats or DRM?
Not in any of the articles I have found, which have all been puff pieces about the venture capital success.

Must be ePub though! Surely!

amjb
Old 10-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
Not in any of the articles I have found, which have all been puff pieces about the venture capital success.

Must be ePub though! Surely!

amjb
Well - if they really mean this:
"what we’re going to do is to help transform the industry, which is built on models that we all know are broken.”

they should be DRM free and multi-format.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
If this is truly her vision, and it actually works, all I can say is, "It's about darned time!" I have said (ad infinitum, ad nauseum *grin*) all along that publishers didn't get it. Seems like one might finally have a clue!
THIS is why I've always been all in favor of the Google Books initiative. I want it all - all my favorite author's backlists available in ebook format, legally and legitimately. This "ok, here's the second and fifth books in the series in ebook, but the rest are nowhere to be found" stuff gets infuriating FAST.
At this point, as long as they don't lock it down to where you have to have a specialty device (a la Kindle) to access them, I don't care how they do it, as long as the books are available.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Not to mention have worldwide rights.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Well - if they really mean this:
"what we’re going to do is to help transform the industry, which is built on models that we all know are broken.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
If this is truly her vision, and it actually works, all I can say is, "It's about darned time!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not to mention have worldwide rights.
amen to all that !!!

this sounds like a brilliant initiative. let's hope it lives up to our expectations. i can't wait to hear more about it. nice find, amjb.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
"Ms. Friedman said Open Road would use a new proprietary online marketing platform to promote backlist titles on blogs, Twitter and social networking sites."

The problem is, you can't sell a new platform without content, and you can't get content without a platform.

Isn't there a term for something like that?

Oh, yeah-- a carborundum.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Let's not get ahead of ourselves lol
Amazon after all were going to "help transform the industry", but that was with DRM attached.
We can all be optimistic though!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think it's somewhat naive to think these books will be DRM-free, although we can hope. I agree with fugazied.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I suspect they will be heavily restricted geographically :cynicme:
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Frankly I'll take the DRM if I can get Catch-22 in ebook!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
amjbrown
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Frankly I'll take the DRM if I can get Catch-22 in ebook!
Couldn't agree more. It was nearly the deal breaker for me when I was doing my original research, but I assumed that it would get resolved sooner or later.

I must have bought the paperback half a dozen times - I keep giving them away saying "you must read this". Not sure how that is going to work in eBook format!

I can't remember the exact quote, but my favourite part is when Yossarian is with a girl and says "..but I didn't think you believed in God". "I don't" she replies, "but the God I don't believe in is a good God, a kind God, a merciful God. Not the mean, nasty God you make him out to be." Or something like that

Iris Murdoch is good news too. In fact, back catalogues are good news in general - there was some fantastic writing in the 60s, 70s, and 80s - can't wait to see some of it resurface.

amjb
Old 10-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
amjbrown
Addict

Ok...had to find the real quote. Thank you internet

Yossarian is talking to Lieutenant Schiesskopf's wife who says...

Quote:
"You'd better not talk that way about Him, honey," she warned him reprovingly in a low and hostile voice. "He might punish you."

"Isn't He punishing me enough?" Yossarian snorted resentfully. "You know, we mustn't let him get away with it. Oh no, we certainly musn't let Him get away scot-free for all the sorrow He's caused us. Someday I'm going to make Him pay. I know when. On the Judgement Day. Yes, that's the day I'll be close enough to reach out and grab that little yokel by His neck and -"

"Stop it! Stop it!"

"What the hell are you getting so upset about?" he asked her bewilderedly in a tone of contrite amusement. "I thought you didn't believe in God."

"I don't," she sobbed, burting violently into tears. "But the God I don't believe in is a good God, a just God, a merciful God. He's not the mean and stupid God you make him out to be."

Yossarian laughed and turned her arms loose. "Let's have a little more religious freedom between us," he proposed obligingly. "You don't believe in a God you want to, and I won't believe in a God I want to. Is that a deal?"

amjb
Old 10-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
braver
Enthusiast
braver has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Amazon Kindle DX
Author to reader market should be direct. All those middlemen and -women are excited about grabbing their peddling agent's position and cashing the surcharge. This is what publishers used to live on during the paper era, and this is where the readers nust cut them loose in the ebook era. Why should we all be happy for some schmuck who managed to build up a network of connections to grab rights and entice ebook readers to pay them? Buy direct! Buy from owner -- the author! Hopefully the ebook revolution will send those agents home, finally, and increase authors' pay and lower the prices.
braver is offline   Reply With Quote