Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
DarylO
DarylO began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Astak Sent Me the Wrong Colour!!

Some idiot at Astak sent me the wrong freakin' colour! I looked forward to getting my new Pocket Pro for weeks, and finally, I get it today, and they had shipped me a WHITE unit rather than the black one that I had ordered! The shipping confirmation email that I had finally gotten a couple of days ago had verified that I had indeed ordered a BLACK unit, so this really sucks! They better agree to cross-ship a replacement unit for me! Actually, I may not even want a replacement. I had gotten it primarily to view A4-sized PDF's for work, and this screen is way too small. I just don't think it's worth the purchase....

Daryl
DarylO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It sucks that it happened to you, but every company makes errors occasionally. Give them a chance to fix it.

As for using it for A4 sized PDF's I can't imagine many would recommend it for something like that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well, is a 5 inch screen, i would never hoped to see A4 PDfs on that screen well
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
DarylO

I would have gotten the 6" EZ Reader, but I chose the Pocket Pro primarily because of the faster processor (it's slower than what I had expected it would be, though). Unfortunately, it chokes on PDF files and freezes, forcing me to re-boot the device. This is just not worth keeping!

Daryl
Old 09-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
This is a reason why one needs to research. 5"-6"-inch screens are only viable for text-based readong...novels, paperbacks, some word documents, perhaps HTML blogs or RSS feeds, etc.. For a good PDF device, you will need to spend a bit more money and get a 9.7 inch, or perhaps an 8" minimum, when they come out.

It is unfortunate that you received a white device instead of black, but on the other hand, it may be fortune after all. You now have a valid excuse for returning the device for a full refund, possibly including a shipping fee refund, although I'm not sure if shipping is ever refunded normally.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
DarylO

Well, I did do my research, but I figured that maybe in landscape mode the PDF's would be tolerable. In any case, they better refund my shipping or else I'm contacting my credit card company and filing a complaint.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I can see refunding the cost of the unit since you now decide that you don'e want it, it does not suit your needs. But technically, if it was me, I would either refund the purchase price (not shipping), or i would pay for both shipping from your place back to Astak, and send you the right colour free shipping.

I would not refund both the purchase price and shipping. You would be able to have one or the other, not both. But that's up to Astak, not me. I do wish you luck.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
How much is the shipping?
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:37 AM   #9
Dragon_Well
Enthusiast
Dragon_Well began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ-reader, Sony PRS-600
I am interested in reading A4 pdfs on small readers as well. In my experience with the 6", the "new" reflow firmware is actually fairly workable for this purpose - provided there are no images or tables to be dealt with. If there are tables in the page, the device will only display the page at the smallest setting, rendering it unreadable.

It seems to me the answer to this is to allow the user to choose either reflow or true zoom and pan as appropriate for the content. This video on the Sony PRS-600 suggests it is able to do this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKpl4wiG-Bs

As much as I'd rather support Astak, after seeing this, I canceled my Pocket Pro order, as I believe my particular needs will be better served by the Sony device.
Dragon_Well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:37 AM   #10
DarylO

Actually, Dragon, you may want to try out the eSlick Reader instead. That reader seems to be the best 6" reader for PDF's. I'm thinking, though, that I should hold off for a 10". I need a good reader for viewing planograms.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:13 AM   #11
Dragon_Well
Enthusiast
Dragon_Well began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ-reader, Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylO View Post
Actually, Dragon, you may want to try out the eSlick Reader instead. That reader seems to be the best 6" reader for PDF's. I'm thinking, though, that I should hold off for a 10". I need a good reader for viewing planograms.
I had my eye on the foxit, but the number of bugs listed on their forum and their customer service scared me away. Although, IMHO , no device is ideal at this time, the annotation and free text features of the sony are also appealing to me.

I'd love to read pdfs on a larger screen, but until it will fold up and fit in my white coat, I'll be stuck reading journal articles on a small screen.
Dragon_Well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
DarylO

I'm thinking I will have to hold off until Plastic Logic's device comes out. Ironically, they have the technology to make a device just as you had described, but they found that consumers preferred a harder device....
Old 09-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
DarylO

I emailed Astak today to ask for an RMA for the incorrect reader that they had sent me, and they have not yet responded. When I had tried calling them, no one picked up. I leave Tuesday for a weeklong business trip, so I'm finding this lack of responsiveness annoying. It's funny how Robert is now a no-show. Has he even posted at all today? Hmm.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylO View Post
I emailed Astak today to ask for an RMA for the incorrect reader that they had sent me, and they have not yet responded. When I had tried calling them, no one picked up. I leave Tuesday for a weeklong business trip, so I'm finding this lack of responsiveness annoying. It's funny how Robert is now a no-show. Has he even posted at all today? Hmm.
at what time did you email? I am not defending them but most companies have a 24-hour turnaround, which unluckily for you eats into the weekend.
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:38 AM   #15
DarylO

I emailed them Thursday night. I still have heard nothing from them....