Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
My thought precisely. I have the Android version of Eijiro and it is buckets better than Edict. Now Edict is an open source collaborate project so one of the problems is a lot (and I mean lot) of duplication, every variance of writing a word or expression is in here, ex: to bite (someone or something) is kamitsuku and in Edict you get 噛み付く 噛みつく かみ付く and 噛付く. It would be preferable with a heading for the word and a sub-heading with writing variations.

I am not a native Japanese speaker so for me a pop-up dictionary inside Kindle would be a godsend. I actually bought the Japanese Sony E-reader for the singular purpose of buying Japanese books and reading on it, but alas, it only came with a Eng-Eng dictionary. Another benefit for the non-native speaker is that if a word isn't in the dictionary you can start explore the possibility that it is a person or place name. These are some of the most frustrating to deal with for a non-native speaker. 毛沢東 is literally "hairy swamp east" which in japanese is pronounced Moutakutou so you start looking at maps trying to find this place. Because, obviously it doesn't make sense as anything else. Actually it does, but you need to also know Chinese, it means Mao Ze-Dong. Now, there are two hours I'll never get back.
Bu as long as the built-in pop-up dictionaries depend on space (which is why it is so hard to look up expressions) to set the delimiters, those who want a Jap-Eng dictionary will be left behind.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:55 AM   #17
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Eijiro is for EN>JP pair which is different from Edict JP>EN. Contrary to popular opinion, dictionaries are not easily reversible.

I don't think that Eijiro database is for public use. But it would be nice to see it available for Kindle.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 03:57 AM   #18
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use Eijiro a lot for looking up Japanese expressions and idioms, you get a lot better feeling for its usage due to all the translation examples.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
izakaya
izakaya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.izakaya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.izakaya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.izakaya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.izakaya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.izakaya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.izakaya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.izakaya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.izakaya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.izakaya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.izakaya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Hi karunaji!

Do you have a github page (or similar) related to developing this dictionary? I'd be really interested to see what you did to create it. There's a huge appetite for a JP->EN dictionary on the Kindle, and it would be cool if people could contribute and help improve the dictionary.

Downloading the dictionary today to try it out - thanks for your work!
izakaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #20
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Hi Izakaya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by izakaya View Post
Hi karunaji!

Do you have a github page (or similar) related to developing this dictionary? I'd be really interested to see what you did to create it. There's a huge appetite for a JP->EN dictionary on the Kindle, and it would be cool if people could contribute and help improve the dictionary.
So, this surge is due to Kindle being marketed in Japan. Congratulations!

I just have a self-made script that is very crude and probably won't be of any help. If you still want to see, it is here. JP>EN is harder because Kindle does not recognize words in Asian scripts. It is not possible to do it without Amazon's help. Maybe they have already implemented it in some way in Japanese Kindles. I don't know, I haven't followed this lately.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #21
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

The Japanese edition of the Sony PRS-T1 comes with a Jap-Jap dictionary. Its implementation is less than stellar. Sometimes it will look up only the first Kanji in a selection. It has a jump feature, but that only works when using it as a standalone application, not when used inside a book. Unlike the Kindle dictionary the dictionary pop-up only appears on the bottom of the screen, thus sometimes covering your selection and stoping you from changeing that selection. The font in the dictionary pop-up is fixed, and rather small. There have been several upgrades of the firmware, so far none of the dictionary issues has been dealt with.
Hopefully the good people at Amazon will see this as an opportunity for a competitive advantage.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
doubleRdoubleU
doubleRdoubleU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleRdoubleU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleRdoubleU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleRdoubleU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleRdoubleU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleRdoubleU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleRdoubleU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleRdoubleU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleRdoubleU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleRdoubleU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleRdoubleU ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Has anyone tried the steps laid out here to create a Japanese>English dictionary for the Kindle?
I've been trying to get it to work, and it seems like it should. But when I'm converting my file, my Japanese characters change into weird numbers and so the whole thing falls apart.
doubleRdoubleU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #23
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Looks like an encoding issue. Did you make sure that the tab delimited input file was utf8 encoded?
B̶T̶W̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶J̶a̶p̶a̶n̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶u̶p̶ ̶d̶i̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶r̶i̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶
t̶h̶e̶ ̶K̶i̶n̶d̶l̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶d̶ ̶s̶e̶g̶m̶e̶n̶t̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶/̶l̶o̶o̶k̶u̶p̶ ̶c̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶s̶ ̶L̶a̶t̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶a̶c̶t̶e̶r̶s̶.̶

EDIT: The latest firmware update fixed this issue and Kindle Paperwhites sold in Japan come with Japanese dictionaries.

According to this post, Kindles sold in Japan come with the Progressive Eiwa Chuujiten English-to-Japanese dictionary and the (monolingual) Digital Daijisen dictionary.

Last edited by Doitsu; 11-25-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #24
totsubo
totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Now that the Kindle Paperwhite is available in Japan, with full Japanese input support, would it be possible to create 'proper' a Japanese/English dictionary?
totsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:58 AM   #25
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

It should be, the Kindle apps already have it. Well sort of, they have Jap-Jap and Eng-Jap, but with the release in Japan I would assume they will also release Jap-Eng dictionaries.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #26
totsubo
totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
It should be, the Kindle apps already have it. Well sort of, they have Jap-Jap and Eng-Jap, but with the release in Japan I would assume they will also release Jap-Eng dictionaries.
Unfortunately Amazon does not offer a J/E dictionary at this time

I've tried the dictionary given in the link on the first post in this thread, but on my new Kindle Paperwhite it shows up under 'English' dictionaries. This means it is only available when I read English books, which is kind of pointless.

I'm guessing this is because of how the dictionary was created?

I'm happy to try and make my own if someone can point to me instructions. I only have a mac and a Linux machine available though, no windows machine.
totsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #27
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

There is a huge database available freely in EDICT (Monash University, Australia) that you should be able to use. There are also name dictionary available which would be a huge help when reading Japanese books.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #28
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
If anyone else is curious, the one single Japanese-English dictionary on the .com website is just terrible. I'm just making do with the J-J dictionary, which I guess is good for me.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #29
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Yeah it appears that the dictionaries on the Japanese Kindle are selected for their usefulness to Japanese speakers rather than those of us coming at it from English.

It does come with the ability to translate via Bing Translator which is...better than nothing. Trying "紳士" (shinshi) comes out as simply "Men's" which could work if you're translating a sign in a department store directing you to the men's clothing section, but fails to include its primary nuance of "gentleman." So you can already sorta kinda look up Japanese words in English.

That said, a J->E dictionary would be great!
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #30
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Usually though there is a demand from Japanese users who want to learn English. That said, the Sony readers suffer from the same lack of dictionaries, don't know about the Kobo.

Tags
dictionary, japanese, kindle