Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #20101
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Weird Tales Vol. I by E.T.A. Hoffmann is what I'm currently reading. It was uploaded to MobileRead's Patricia Clark Memorial Library by crich70. Very strange stuff.

Vol.1: ePub / Kindle

Vol. 2: ePub / Kindle
Thanks for the links and thanks to crich70 for the uploads!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #20102
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Weird Tales Vol. I by E.T.A. Hoffmann is what I'm currently reading. It was uploaded to MobileRead's Patricia Clark Memorial Library by crich70. Very strange stuff.

Vol.1: ePub / Kindle

Vol. 2: ePub / Kindle
it certainly influenced Poe. I think I downloaded this already, but it's down below in my TBR. classics need the right mood before being read.

BTW, is the translation from german any good?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #20103
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Thanks I have not decided if I want to read this book. I think I will wait a little longer after what you stated.
well, despite the clichéd start, Inferno's actually very gripping. Better than I'd have hoped for. It's not mere coincidence Dan Brown is a best-seller.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #20104
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "With the Lightnings", the first book in the "Lt Leary" military SF series, by David Drake. I bought this book from Baen in July 2000, and although I've read it before, it was an enjoyable re-read.

Summary from Baen:

Quote:
Daniel Leary is a lieutenant in the Republic of Cinnabar Navy with no money and no prospects since he quarreled with his ruthless, politically powerful father.

Adele Mundy is a scholar with no money and no prospects since her family was massacred for conspiring against the Government of Cinnabar.

Kostroma is a wealthy planet which depends on diplomacy to stay independent in a galaxy whose two great powers, Cinnabar and the Alliance, battle for supremacy.

In a few hours, diplomacy is going to fail Kostroma. Daniel, Adele, and the scratch crew they gather aren't much to stand in the way of a powerful invasion fleet, but just possibly they're enough.

Men and women who hold courage cheap and honor more dear than life itself face impossible odds in a novel of color, intrigue and slashing action. From the corridors of a treason-ridden palace through the perils of unknown seas and hellish jungles to a final blazlng climax in space, the heroes never bow and the action never flags.

They have nothing on their side but each other—and heaven help whatever tries to stand in their way!
Highly recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #20105
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading World War Z on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	war z.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	124884  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #20106
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
it certainly influenced Poe. I think I downloaded this already, but it's down below in my TBR. classics need the right mood before being read.

BTW, is the translation from german any good?
Not knowing German, I couldn't say, but it's very readable if that's what concerns you.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #20107
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I'm primarily reading three things right now:

À l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs (traditionally if inaccurately translated into English as "Within a Budding Grove") by Marcel Proust. This is the second volume of "la Recherche".

The Swamp: The Everglades, Florida, and the Politics of Paradise by Michael Grunwald. This is both a history of the land of southern Florida itself, and a history of how people through the years have tried to shape the land to their will. The book's more entertaining than I expected.

The American Heritage History of World War II by C.L. Sulzberger and Stephen Ambrose. I dip into this from time to time. From the 37% I've read, the book does a decent job trying to cover events in both Asia and Europe.

I plan to begin reading something about World War I soon.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:16 AM   #20108
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
The psychopathic population or prisons runs about 15% vs 1% for the general population, and 3% for business management.
Working in the business community, I can definitely confirm that at least 3% fall into the category, and most get to positions of power too, unfortunately...

Just finished Hollow World by Michael J Sullivan - can't remember if it was a recommendation in this thread - but well worth the read. Kicks off with a bit of time-travel (always welcome) but mostly it's about the far future world that the protagonist finds himself in. It is a well rendered and generally consistent new society. A straightforward and fun read.

Now embarking on Killing Hope by Keith Houghton, #1 in the Gabe Quinn series. Got it free through Amazon Prime. Too early to tell if it's going to keep me engaged, but I'm never averse to a good serial killer tale...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #20109
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next Up: GrantVille Gazette #54, edited by Paula Goodlett.
Most of the stories were fun, and the fact article on various historical German educators of the early 1630s was more interesting to me than many of the fact articles have been. But there was one 'story' that was so bitty and jumped about so much between characters that it was pretty much impossible to follow. So I'll only be giving this issue 3/5.

Next up: F&SF, July 2014.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #20110
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished Weird Tales Vol. I by E.T.A. Hoffmann; now it's on to the Jack Lindsay translation of Lysistrata by Aristophanes. I love the illustrations in Lysistrata by Norman Lindsay. I'd reproduce some here, but they're probably too risqué for MobileRead, though certainly not much more so than is the young lady on our Virginia State Seal.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-04-2014 at 02:59 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #20111
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is White Fire by Preston & Child.
I devoured this in only a few days. Another wonderful Pendergast novel. This one has a double mystery that somehow merges into one exciting revelation. A red herring or two round out the story. Lots of historical detail about silver mining added to the realism. Eagerly anticipating their next one! Rated strong B [4 stars].

Next I'll finish up the Star Trek Vanguard series with Storming Heaven by David Mack.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #20112
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Anyone got good summer reads to suggest?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #20113
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
Anyone got good summer reads to suggest?
Please don't ask in this thread. This thread is for discussing what we ARE reading, not what other people should read. Start a separate thread if you're asking for recommendations.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #20114
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just finished "After the Funeral" by Agatha Christie. This was her 54th book, and was originally published in 1953.

After the funeral of the wealthy Richard Abernethie, his remaining family assembles for the reading of the will at Enderby Hall. The death, though sudden, was not unexpected and natural causes have been given on his death certificate. Nevertheless, one of the attendees, Mrs Cora Lansquenet, says, "It's been hushed up very nicely ... but he was murdered, wasn't he?" The family lawyer, Mr Entwhistle, asks Poirot to investigate.

A very, very cleverly-plotted detective story, with an ending that took me completely by surprise. Very highly recommended.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #20115
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
This book is not my usual reading, even the genre is not something I normally would pick out to read. But it was highly recommend to my so I took a chance

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote