Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
2008 World Fact Book Project

I want to upload a new version of the CIA World Fact Book. Nrapollo has one, but it's missing a number of things like a TOC and the national flags. It's also too darn big. It would be better if split into several ebooks.

So I'm extending an invitation to anyone who wants to help. I'll be starting with the flags. If you want to help, pick a section. The following link leads to the index.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ook/index.html

Thanks.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm also going to try to do the nations of the world.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I want to upload a new version of the CIA World Fact Book. Nrapollo has one, but it's missing a number of things like a TOC and the national flags. It's also too darn big. It would be better if split into several ebooks.

So I'm extending an invitation to anyone who wants to help. I'll be starting with the flags. If you want to help, pick a section. The following link leads to the index.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ook/index.html

Thanks.
My 2005 edition is now too old to be useful and really needs an update. So I'm game!

However, you say it's too big, so what would you leave in from the separate sections below (I'd include all the bold parts).
Note that the first 10 Zip files will create a fully-functional version of the Factbook with the sole exception that the links to the PDF-format maps on the Reference Maps page will not work (no great loss for an ebook edition).
  • docs.zip (270.0KB)
  • fields.zip (1.6MB) - may be optional; so as to keep the size down.
  • flags.zip (3.1MB) - should shrink them dow to screen size to save space.
  • geos.zip (3.7MB) - not required, replaceable by print.zip!
  • graphics.zip (91.2KB)
  • maps.zip (4.1MB) - should shrink them dow to screen size to save space.
  • covers.zip (3.8MB) - not required
  • print.zip (2.3MB)
  • refmaps.zip (26.9MB) - not required
  • rankorder.zip (502.0KB)
What's a reference, if you can't use it all at once.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, I've got the Cover, Index, CountryListing, all Countries with maps (incl. some missing/hidden ones!) and Appendix A working.

I'm cleaning up the Appendices to remove graphic bars/background (in essense making it look like a "print" version). It's cumbersome as they use tables to hold the graphics elements which, if left in interfere with the ebook layout on small screens. I've done this before and NOW remember how much of a pain it was!

Will work on the docs.zip this weekend.

In the end, I'll produce two variants: full version with most items except large graphics and a streamlined version. Any suggestions what to leave in the streamlined version?

The 2008 .epub posted previously is streamlined so my version would have to include some more items for it to be of interest.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Ok, I've got the Cover, Index, CountryListing, all Countries with maps (incl. some missing/hidden ones!) and Appendix A working.

I'm cleaning up the Appendices to remove graphic bars/background (in essense making it look like a "print" version). It's cumbersome as they use tables to hold the graphics elements which, if left in interfere with the ebook layout on small screens. I've done this before and NOW remember how much of a pain it was!

Will work on the docs.zip this weekend.

In the end, I'll produce two variants: full version with most items except large graphics and a streamlined version. Any suggestions what to leave in the streamlined version?

The 2008 .epub posted previously is streamlined so my version would have to include some more items for it to be of interest.
I just now saw your post. I have the scripts for the reference_maps, geos, appendix, and flags folders done.

I'm planning to produce 2 versions as well. One will have the full graphics, the other will have the same images converted to 4 bit grayscale.

The way you're doing it may be a pain, but the way I'm doing it is fun. I bet my copies will end up being prettier, too.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:16 AM   #6
nrapallo

Quote:
I just now saw your post. I have the scripts for the reference_maps, geos, appendix, and flags folders done.

I'm planning to produce 2 versions as well. One will have the full graphics, the other will have the same images converted to 4 bit grayscale.

The way you're doing it may be a pain, but the way I'm doing it is fun. I bet my copies will end up being prettier, too.
Mobipocket Creator doesn't format well embedded tables within a table.

EDIT: Below are screenshots of the REB1200 .imp version and corresponding pages in the Mobipocket .prc version!

Where do I get those scripts?

Show me the money...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIA_World_Factbook_2008_1.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	25245   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIA_World_Factbook_2008_2.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	25246   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIA_World_Factbook_2008_4.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	25247   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIA_World_Factbook_2008_772.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	25248   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIA_World_Factbook_2008_4732.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	25249   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIA_World_Factbook_2008_pg1.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	25250   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIA_World_Factbook_2008_pg2.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	25251   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIA_World_Factbook_2008_pg3.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	25252   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIA_World_Factbook_2008_pg55.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	25253   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIA_World_Factbook_2008_pg9221.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	25254  

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-08-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I don't use the tables. I extract the data and work from there. True, I'm mainly limited to linear organization, but that's okay. It handles different screen sizes better than tables.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #8
nrapallo

Quote:
I don't use the tables. I extract the data and work from there. True, I'm mainly limited to linear organization, but that's okay. It handles different screen sizes better than tables.
I could never get the tables to show properly on the EBW1150 due to its smaller screen size 320x480. Perhaps your version will work better for it!

Mobipocket doesn't show borders around tables so it may look like your version anyways!

The appendix and docs pages are too much of a pain to edit. Did I MENTION that before...
Old 03-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I could never get the tables to show properly on the EBW1150 due to its smaller screen size 320x480. Perhaps your version will work better for it!

Mobipocket doesn't show borders around tables so it may look like your version anyways!

The appendix and docs pages are too much of a pain to edit. Did I MENTION that before...
I had to write 4 scripts for the appendix folder: a, bc, de, f. (I'm not including g.)

I'm planning to drop the guide files, as well as the cover gallery. I don't think they will be useful. I also had to write a script for the flagsoftheworld file. I edited the refmaps file by hand. The other files I opened in Firefox and copy-pasted into OpenOffice because they were mainly text.

I'm thinking about dropping the rankorder and fields folders. It would save 10MB and 5MB, respectively. What do you think?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
nrapallo

Quote:
I had to write 4 scripts for the appendix folder: a, bc, de, f. (I'm not including g.)
I had wanted to retain the look and feel of the original appendix pages, but since I've had no success converting them to .lrf or EBW1150 .imp and somewhat limited success converting them to .prc, I don't think they will be useful. Look nice, but not functional! I'll mainly do this for my REB1200 .imp version (which is why I did this in the first place! ).

Quote:
I'm planning to drop the guide files, as well as the cover gallery. I don't think they will be useful. I also had to write a script for the flagsoftheworld file. I edited the refmaps file by hand. The other files I opened in Firefox and copy-pasted into OpenOffice because they were mainly text.

I'm thinking about dropping the rankorder and fields folders. It would save 10MB and 5MB, respectively. What do you think?
When I did the 2005 version, despite what you said in post #1, I did have a psuedo-TOC (index.html), the national flags on the Country intro page and Flags of the World section, and all the appendices (A-F). I included the FAQs, Notes & Definition, Guide to Country Profiles, Copyright info, and Purchasing info. In short, almost everything was left in.

I did leave out the refmaps as they were graphic intensive and thus not too suitable for small screened ebook readers.

I haven't reviewed nor included yet the rankorder and fields pages to see their effect. However, they WOULD disappear, in a heartbeat, if they add too much to the final ebook's filesize.

Are you working in .html or using an ebook creating program to compile the Factbook? I'm working in just .html/.opf and a text editor.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Right now I'm working with html. Once I have the files cleaned up I'll import them into Mobi Creator and use it to create the OPF and the table of contents. I'll also use it to add the external TOC that Mobi files can have. You can't see it on the Kindle, but it's nice on other devices.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Long time no type.

I put this aside for a while, but I picked it up again in the past few days. I have posted an early version over here. All it currently has are the parts I did by hand; so it's missing the flag pages and country pages. I will probably be adding the flags by tomorrow night. The country pages are significantly more complicated and will come sometime later this week.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #13
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've been happily waiting for it since you started this thread, and was going to download it, but now I'll wait for the updated version (no pressure though!). Thanks, Nate (and you too, Nick, for your help & precedent).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

The flag section is done,but it still needs to be proofed.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I was a tad optimistic about the time line for the country pages. The first pass is taking about 10 minutes per file, and there are 264 files. The second pass will almost certainly take longer. In comparison, it only took 10 minutes to convert all the flag pages.

It's going to be a while.

P.S. On the plus side,I just extended the warranty on my 3 year old laptop. Forty hours of continuous use might kill it. If it does, I'll get a new set of hardware.