Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
NaOH
NaOH began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
Duokan on just bought KT2 with 5.6.1?

Hello internet!

I've just received a few days ago my first kindle ever. It's a KT2 and came with the FW version 5.6.1 (actually, I think it came with 5.6.0? does that exist? and it updated on its own). Thing is, as I've been reading here in the forums, there is no, as of yet, method for jailbreaking it without taking it apart. I'm not keen on that idea, at least until the warranty period is over. I mainly don't feel comfortable opening a device that is glued (I'm afraid I'll break the plastic parts).

So, my first question is: Is there any progress in jailbreaking this version of the FW?

And the second question, and main question of my post: Is it possible and/or worth it to install Duokan on this device?

The main reason I'm considering installing Duokan is for a better PDF reader (I want to use my kindle to read scientific papers and their format - mainly multi-column documents - is not confortable to read with the built-in PDF reader).

The main reason I'd consider jailbreaking it: To tinker with it. I'm a Linux user and I'm curious to as what can I do with a little Linux computer with an e-ink display... For instance, something cool (if it's already done, show it to me!) would be a graphing calculator running on the kindle.

Anyways,
Thanks for your help!

NaOH.-
NaOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Duokan relies on ripping off the MobileRead-sourced jailbreaks and stuff, without accreditation.
Yeah, go go Duokan folks!

If and when the newer firmware is hacked, you will probably hear about it here, first.

Then you will want to install KOReader, an open-source alternative PDF reader, whose devs are friendly and open, several of whom are respected MobileRead members.

Best of all, it runs natively in the Kindle framework. So no need to dual-boot your Kindle.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-15-2014 at 11:38 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
NaOH

Thanks for the prompt answer!

Now, another question. Suppose I do install Duokan. How'd I go about uninstalling it once the jailbreak is available here? Is it possible to wipe out the entire kindle and install the official OS from scratch? (or something similar)?
Old 12-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no jailbreak for firmware 5.6.1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Duokan will not install without a jailbreak, and they don't have their own jailbreak.

Once a jailbreak is available here, Duokan will incorporate it into their installer.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaOH View Post
Thanks for the prompt answer!

Now, another question. Suppose I do install Duokan. How'd I go about uninstalling it once the jailbreak is available here? Is it possible to wipe out the entire kindle and install the official OS from scratch? (or something similar)?
Duokan **IS NOT** an alternate OS.
They replace something(s) at a higher level - mostly application layer and maybe some of the framework.

Since we don't know how they will install it, we don't know how to un-install it.
Better that you learn Chinese and ask on their own forum.

Note: You can probably learn Chinese before we can jailbreak 5.6.1
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
NaOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Note: You can probably learn Chinese before we can jailbreak 5.6.1
Really? Damn... Well, I guess I'll wait...
I don't know a whole lot about embedded linux, but is there any way I can contribute?

On the other hand: I read on another thread that it could actually be jailbroken if accessed through the internal serial port. So that was not true? Currently there are absolutely no ways of jailbreaking it?

Thanks again to you all!
Old 12-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you really want to open your Kindle and risk breaking it with no warranty at all? Do you want to have to go buy another one because you broke the one you have?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Really? Damn... Well, I guess I'll wait...
I don't know a whole lot about embedded linux, but is there any way I can contribute?

On the other hand: I read on another thread that it could actually be jailbroken if accessed through the internal serial port. So that was not true? Currently there are absolutely no ways of jailbreaking it?

Thanks again to you all!
Clarification: There are no end-user-friendly ways of jailbreaking. Prying open the case and running the jailbreak scripts via the serial port is only mildly less inconvenient to the average user than prying out the flash memory and attaching it to your computer as a filesystem. (And that isn't saying much.)

But sure, if you feel comfortable jailbreaking via the serial port, it is possible. A couple people have posted basic howtos in this subforum... somewhere...

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-14-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:50 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - - -

Thanks again to you all!
Check the master index - look for anything "serial port" - -
K4 and newer all use the same connector pad layout -
The KT2 pad layout is pictured in the KT2 Exposed thread.
(It will probably be after the Holidays before I get a chance to complete that thread.)

Once you establish your serial port connection, then just run the jb >= 1.13 installation scripts "by hand" (you'll probably have to un-package the install package using KindleTool - I haven't followed how NiLuJe has organized his release archive).
Then do the same for the most recent (see snapshot thread) KUAL and the new KUAL package installer.
Keep notes, and post those for the next million people that want to do the same.

Last edited by knc1; 12-14-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Err, knc1 -- the JB is released as a zipped folder containing the jb.sh and bridge.sh and json_simple-1.1.jar and stuff (gandalf, bridge.conf, developer.keystore).
Just copy it over and run jb.sh manually instead of via the poison filename.bin
(Or kindletool-unpack the update bridge if you want to have fun, sure. )

KUAL can be sideloaded to the userstore, once the JB is done that is the hard part.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Err, knc1 -- the JB is released as a zipped folder containing the jb.sh and bridge.sh and json_simple-1.1.jar and stuff (gandalf, bridge.conf, developer.keystore).
Just copy it over and run jb.sh manually instead of via the poison filename.bin
(Or kindletool-unpack the update bridge if you want to have fun, sure. )

KUAL can be sideloaded to the userstore, once the JB is done that is the hard part.
Of course.
My only excuse was extreme fatigue.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
noanylove
noanylove began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Well, I want to jailbreak my PW2 with 5.6.1 firmware, but really don't want to take it apart. Still waiting for another easy way that can help.

BTW, is there any progress about jailbreak 5.6.1 except the serial port way?
noanylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:10 PM   #14
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by noanylove View Post
Well, I want to jailbreak my PW2 with 5.6.1 firmware, but really don't want to take it apart. Still waiting for another easy way that can help.

The answer can be found here and here and here and here and here...out of curiosity, did you even bother looking before posting your question?!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noanylove View Post

Progress in this case is a binary result.

When a new jailbreak is discovered, it will be announced to much fanfare. Subscribe to the jailbreak megathread, and you will be guaranteed to find out.