Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
How to update NookColor

Santa was good to me this Christmas and a NookColor appeared down the chimney.

A question: It is currently at 1.0.0. How do I update it? I think there is a 1.0.1, but I cannot see how to do it. WiFi is set-up and I can access the internet and Pandora. I read the instructions and apparently a green symbol appear when an update is available. No green symbol. Have I missed some setting to set this auto update?

Yep, I need to update it so that I can root it.

Can anyone help? (Silly question, of course someone can).

Thanks.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111751

Quote:
Manual Download Instructions

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pre...oad_update.zip

1. From your computer, click here for the software update file. Select Save and select Desktop as the location. Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file's name in any way.

2. Tap Settings on your NOOKcolor's Quick Nav Bar, then tap Device Info and make sure your NOOKcolor battery charge is at 20% or more.

3. Connect your NOOKcolor to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOKcolor. A new, removable drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOKcolor drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a "USB Mode" message on your NOOKcolor screen.

4. From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded file onto the main directory of the NOOKcolor drive. Do NOT unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOKcolor drive or add the file to any other existing folder.

5. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOKcolor drive after the file transfer is complete.

6. Your NOOKcolor will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes or when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.

7. Please do not turn off your NOOKcolor during the installation process.

8. Once the installation is completed, your NOOKcolor will automatically restart and go to the Home screen.

9. On the bottom left status bar a green "n" will appear. Tap on it; the software has been successfully updated.

NOOKcolor must remain turned on while the update is being installed. Once the software is installed, NOOKcolor will reboot itself back to the Home screen. To verify you have the latest update, tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOKcolor and check to see that your software version is 1.0.1

Congratulations, your NOOKcolor has been updated! If you need additional help, please call Digital Customer Service support at 1-800-843-2665.

Last edited by SCION; 12-25-2010 at 06:33 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Switch off auto update

great thanks.

how do you turn off auto update? if I root, then I don't want it overwritten.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
great thanks.

how do you turn off auto update? if I root, then I don't want it overwritten.
You can only disable auto updates after you root. There's no option on the stock device to this.

After rooting you would use these commands to rename a certain file:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=17
Old 12-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Prince Hal
Zealot

Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You can only disable auto updates after you root. There's no option on the stock device to this.

After rooting you would use these commands to rename a certain file:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=17
If you used my block updates script below
adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb shell mv /etc/security/otacerts.zip /etc/security/otacerts.zip_DISABLED_OTA_UPDATES

too undo it you would do
adb shell mv /etc/security/otacerts.zip_DISABLED_OTA_UPDATES /etc/security/otacerts.zip

That would rename the old file back to normal

>>> Above are the instructions. I downloaded ADP to my PC. Now I am at a loss. Any further instructions?
Old 12-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Did you root your device?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

I see from another post that you rooted.

copy and paste

hit enter

copy and paste

adb shell mv /etc/security/otacerts.zip /etc/security/otacerts.zip_DISABLED_OTA_UPDATES

hit enter

Depending on your ADB setup you may have to use ./ADB instead of just ADB at the beginning of the commands
Old 12-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
mcshess
mcshess began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook (rooted)
Quote:
I see from another post that you rooted.

copy and paste

hit enter

copy and paste

hit enter

Depending on your ADB setup you may have to use ./ADB instead of just ADB at the beginning of the commands
I have installed the adb stuff and updated the drivers on my color nook. But I am still stumped. Where do I go to enter these commands? Just at the command line? Do I need to change the directory to be looking at the nook?
mcshess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcshess View Post
I have installed the adb stuff and updated the drivers on my color nook. But I am still stumped. Where do I go to enter these commands? Just at the command line? Do I need to change the directory to be looking at the nook?
You can also use Root Explorer (free in Market) to rename the file as is indicated above.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
mcshess
mcshess began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook (rooted)
Quote:
You can also use Root Explorer (free in Market) to rename the file as is indicated above.
Root Explorer is no longer free. From the command line - what do I change the directory to in order to enter the script commands. I think that is all I am missing.
mcshess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Make sure you're in the directory (from the command line) that ADB is in.