Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-07-2019, 04:58 AM   #1
557 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Why don't downgrades work after 5.8.7.x?

Do we know what Amazon patched out of the firmware to prevent downgrading after 5.8.7? I've been trying to figure it out by comparing different OTA bins using NiLuJe's KindleTool but I haven't found anything. I'll probably end up doing the serial port method (I'm on PW2 firmware 5.10.3) but it would be nice to figure out a software jailbreak again.
557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:23 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
It is not in the binary(ies).
It is a scripting change, look there.
Last I looked, it was one commented out line with a one line comment on the change.

And if you could cause it to change before being jail broken, then you would not need our jail break.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2019, 05:33 AM   #3
557 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Thanks for the clues, I'll keep looking
557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Both the ota facilities were updated, as well as the factory updater itself.

The former lives in various libraries & binaries in the main fs, while the latter is embedded in the kernel's initramfs. (i.e., you'll need a decent disassembler in all cases, as well as the right script/method to pull the initramfs out of an uboot kernel image. There's a couple mentions of this over here, but I don't recall how well that worked with current kernels).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The newest kernels are "Device Table" layout.
I haven't posted a step-by-step for kernels with that layout.
(Don't hold your breath, I got so little user feedback on what I did post that I will probably never do this task again, so ask Google.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
True, I'd forgotten about the backup thing.

So, yeah, in the meantime, the easiest way to get at the kernel image is probably to just pull it from an update package .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pw2_jailbreaking