Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 01:43 AM   #16
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
K, sounds good on the paper. Any opinion does it try to connect to
any server during reading? I'd like to know what is the content of
wifi communication.
Device is bigger than kobo, regarding specs. Go-to works and it is a
major plus. Reviews tent to stress that letters are blacker and the
contrast is better. Speed? Hm, no big deal. How about battery? How
many pages it takes till drained?
Some aspects are not serious on k3. Reminds me on one cell phone
review saying "not good phone cause still camera is not of the supreme
quality". Speakers? Microphone? Voice reading? Maaaaan!
Also, I'd like to have owners' opinions on the formats they use. Did they
have any problem converting in Calibre?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #17
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Did they
have any problem converting in Calibre?
With WH Smith moving away from ereader and mobipocket ebook formats and the reduction of available ebooks at the mobipocket store, the writing is now on the wall for mobipocket. Hopefully Calibre will keep support to allow conversion for a while yet.

Perhaps within 12 months the only mobipocket origined ebook format will be Amazon's AZW.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 03:00 AM   #18
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

I just made a conversion of epub to mobi. Open in calibre reader. The
box is not mine and have no op privs, so cannot install mobi reader to
see it as it is probably intended.
Of course I will not let my kobo go away, but I took a look at k3, out of
curiosity. What format would be the best to use on it, of epub files
I already have?
What fonts k3 has, aside default one?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:18 AM   #19
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
I ordered K3 WiFi immediately when it was announced. My reason for initially buying Kobo (shipping via a friend) was that Kindle was too expensive and only 3G versions that is not supported in Latvia.

K3 was perfect answer to all of this:
- cheaper WiFi only version
- direct shipping so no need to bother my friends
- price below 150 euros, i.e., no import tax/VAT

It has also better contrast and very fast response.

Dictionary was also a big plus as my English skills are not perfect and I often want to look up the meaning of a word.

Maybe I should exercise more but pressing Kobo button is rather hard. Kindle is more comfortable when reading in the bed.

Epub conversion to mobi format so far has worked without issues. On the other hand some documents converted to epub made my Kobo to reboot. In particular, centered text blocks or tables. It is a bug that should be fixed.

On the other hand Kindle looks so fragile and slippery that I am afraid to take it out of home and use in public. Kobo has better form and rugged back and is preferred for reading in the beach or on bus.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:20 AM   #20
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
The main formats that the K3 use are DRM AZW and non DRM MOBI, so those would be the target formats to use.

I have a great deal of Mobipocket format books that I liberated from DRM once purchased, so if I had a K3, I would be able to read those.

What concerns me though is that as MOBI slowly becomes extinct, just as LIT for instance, is that Calibre will drop the features to make the conversion (LRF support as an example). I doubt that will happen soon, but it will happen.

Of course if you still use Mobipocket Creator and Mobipocket Desktop, you can still create MOBI ebooks from other formats such as HTML, RTF and PDF.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 03:36 AM   #21
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
The main formats that the K3 use are DRM AZW and non DRM MOBI, so those would be the target formats to use.
What concerns me though is that as MOBI slowly becomes extinct, just as LIT for instance, is that Calibre will drop the features to make the conversion (LRF support as an example). I doubt that will happen soon, but it will happen.
Of course if you still use Mobipocket Creator and Mobipocket Desktop, you can still create MOBI ebooks from other formats such as HTML, RTF and PDF.
As I read reviews, I notice that almost all of them put minus for not
supporting epub. It might be added, which is what I think will happen,
or not, when conversion on old version of calibre is just fine. Creator
is not my option, since I'm not on win. I hardly made Calibre on this
box. "Who needs books, and, even more, in various formats?" People
simply ask for one to get root and let them stay stranded on their
own node.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #22
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I certainly noticed the speed difference when I first started using my Kindle 3 Wi-Fi. I had trained myself to hit the page turn button on the Kobo just as I started the last line of text. I would finish the page just as the Kobo would start the process to turn the page. I had to stop myself from doing this on the Kindle as the page turn is almost instantaneous. Now I do not think twice about flipping back and forth between pages in case I am confused by something.

I do not use the dictionary excessively, but I do find it very handy when an author uses a word I am unfamiliar with, or had never seen it used in a certain context. No more guessing what some words mean. And it could not be easier to use, just move the courser either up from the bottom, or down from the top and stop at the word interested in. A brief definition pops up at the bottom (or top) of the page. Hit enter to get a full page definition and usage, hit Back to go back to reading (or to simply close the definition box).

I did not think I would use the wi-fi function much but that has changed. When I first copied my library over using calibre, I used a USB connection. Now when I buy individual books, I remove DRM (if needed), add the book to calibre, and then email it to my Kindle - does not matter if I left it upstairs in the bedroom, or downstairs in the tv room, or if it is still in my briefcase. A small convenience but one I have started to appreciate.

My Kobo has been given to my son and he enjoys it and uses it daily. While I still buy many books from the Kobo bookstore, I will never go back to having the Kobo as my primary eReader.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #23
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
I've had a Kobo since the end of June. I really like it but reading anything with footnotes is a pain.

I got my K3 yesterday and I'm seriously amazed. The screen is incredible and I can't get over how fast the page turns are. They blow the Kobo out of the water.

Overall I'm really thrilled with it as it makes the Kobo seem like an antiquated device. I'm just feeling weird having two e-readers. I would like to be able to put epubs on the Kobo but I don't know how (and any instructions I find are for PC and I have a Mac).
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #24
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I think all of us buy gadgets in about the same way. At the time of purchase, we get the machine that seems to best meet our needs for the amount of money we are willing to spend. Over time our needs may or may not change, but new and improved gadgets will always be there to tempt us.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #25
kajoob
kajoob doesn't litterkajoob doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha45 View Post
I would like to be able to put epubs on the Kobo but I don't know how (and any instructions I find are for PC and I have a Mac).
If you mean, "How do I put an epub on the kobo", well then the Kobo supports epubs natively. You can put it on the SD Card or just connect it to your computer and drop it in there. Easy as pie.

If you meant "How do I put an epub on my new Kindle", well it's still possible, just use Calibre. It is available for both macs and pc's. http://calibre-ebook.com/
kajoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #26
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoob View Post
If you mean, "How do I put an epub on the kobo", well then the Kobo supports epubs natively. You can put it on the SD Card or just connect it to your computer and drop it in there. Easy as pie.

If you meant "How do I put an epub on my new Kindle", well it's still possible, just use Calibre. It is available for both macs and pc's. http://calibre-ebook.com/
But one just has to wonder how long publishers and Amazon are going to let
people fiddle with their products and load them onto devices that they aren't supposed to be able to and whatnot. How long before the Calibre folks are subject to litigation, or perhaps just being buried in cash in return for handing over Calibre to one of the involved entities.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #27
kajoob
kajoob doesn't litterkajoob doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombWii View Post
But one just has to wonder how long publishers and Amazon are going to let
people fiddle with their products and load them onto devices that they aren't supposed to be able to and whatnot.
LET people fiddle with THEIR products? I'm pretty sure I gave Amazon money and they gave me a piece of hardware - I own it, not them. I'll do as I damn well please with this thing.
kajoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #28
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

I'm pretty sure you purchase licenses...especially to eBooks. Even real books...just ask the library. That's part of why it's illegal to resell a book with the cover ripped off.
It's the same for your iPod, and even all the DVDs you rent or buy. You think you own stuff...but you have purchased the license to a copy of something.
If you violate the terms of the license, the copyright holder could technically withdraw your right to use the item in question.
It's what DRM is all about...it's pre-emptive copyright enforcement.
If you strip an eBook of it's DRM, that I can only imagine that you are violating the license you purchased. That is, essentially, the first step in 'pirating' something.
The good news is that, as I said, the makers or Calibre are a much better target than you are.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #29
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I wouldn't expect Amazon to go too crazy chasing people using Calibre (or going after Kovid), they will never support it and might perhaps do a few more things to make it more difficult for Calibre but in the end it only increases their user base (and just cause someone uses Calibre doesn't mean they won't use Amazon anymore). I also don't think any of the other eBook people are likely to get to upset about Calibre, it's just more choice for consumers. There is no harm in loading & managing DRM-Free ebooks, some just prefer to push you to buy direct (ala Amazon).

Now going after pirates I can see as being a bigger concern for Amazon, Sony, Kobo, etc (anyone with an ebook store) or the publishers, pirating and DRM stripping is doing some harm there. DRM stripping isn't always done for pirating purposes but it does definitely enable pirating. Let's just hope that eBook popularity doesn't raise as quickly as MP3s did so the publishers can react a bit easier than the music industry did.

The music industry I think has learnt for the most part that DRM doesn't really work and only creates barriers to entry for consumers when piracy has virtually no barriers. These days ebook piracy does have barriers still and as long as they don't disappear or get flaunted too rampantly then hopefully we won't have a Metallica VS Napster style crackdown on any DRM stripping tools or other open tools.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #30
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombWii View Post
I'm pretty sure you purchase licenses...especially to eBooks. Even real books...just ask the library. That's part of why it's illegal to resell a book with the cover ripped off.
It's the same for your iPod, and even all the DVDs you rent or buy. You think you own stuff...but you have purchased the license to a copy of something.
If you violate the terms of the license, the copyright holder could technically withdraw your right to use the item in question.
It's what DRM is all about...it's pre-emptive copyright enforcement.
If you strip an eBook of it's DRM, that I can only imagine that you are violating the license you purchased. That is, essentially, the first step in 'pirating' something.
The good news is that, as I said, the makers or Calibre are a much better target than you are.
To my knowledge it is not illegal to sell a book without a cover (could be somewhere). I believe it is fraud for a book store to claim books are destroyed to claim a credit instead of returning the physical book. It may be fraud and you may have purchased stolen property but it may not be.

Yes, you are correct about the licensing on most music, eBooks, etc. I don't agree with the way most companies treat all their customers as thieves but thats how it is...

Stripping DRM may or may violate the license ( if the license is even enforceable) but may violate the law in your area.

Stripping DRM is definitely not the first step to piracy. For many it is simply necessary to ensure that they are still able to read a book they paid for the right to do so in years to come. I never loan books and I seldom give them away or sell them because if I enjoyed the book there is a good chance that I will read it again. I may be the exception but if I did loan books I am not sure that I would loan eBooks. With a physical book there is only one copy but can I trust the people I loan an ebook to not to copy it or make it available for download?

As for the developers of calibre they have nothing to fear. They are providing a tool. To my knowledge it does nothing illegal. Suing Calibre developers is as silly as suing microsoft because some one used Word to write a bank hold up note.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo kindle 3 k3 switch