Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
michael180
michael180 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
PDFs messed up . . .

I've tried to convert some PDFs with Calibre, and each time I do the paragraphs are messed up. Every line is indented. The only PDF input available to me is Line Un-Wrapping Factor, and the No Images check box. There are several PDF eBooks out there that I would like, but they are no good if I can't fix this.

Any suggestions . . .
michael180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael180 View Post
I've tried to convert some PDFs with Calibre, and each time I do the paragraphs are messed up. Every line is indented. The only PDF input available to me is Line Un-Wrapping Factor, and the No Images check box. There are several PDF eBooks out there that I would like, but they are no good if I can't fix this.

Any suggestions . . .
Have you tried various settings of the line un-wrapping factor? Many people have had success with .25 but your mileage might vary.

Another option is to import it into Mobipocket Creator (free) then edit the html provided.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Mobipocket's reader and creator programs do a better job of converting PDF, especially if there are any headers and footers. I use that, then convert the mobipocket file to epub in Calibre. Or sometimes to RTF first if it is full of spelling mistakes.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
michael180
michael180 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Mobipocket's reader and creator programs do a better job of converting PDF, especially if there are any headers and footers. I use that, then convert the mobipocket file to epub in Calibre. Or sometimes to RTF first if it is full of spelling mistakes.
I don't seem to be able to find a mobipocket creater for Mac.

Any suggestions?
michael180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Converting PDF files is difficult because it all depends on how the original PDF was created. I don't think there's really any easy way to do it without having some touch-ups necessary on the finished product. Are you converting to ePub? If so, you may want to use Sigil to clean up the finished ePub.

There's also several other threads here on MR where users have developed a system for their conversions that seem to work. Try looking for those.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert