Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #46
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The way I understand it, ADE will (on occasion?) see a newly-flashed Hanlin as a new, different device. I saw a report on the BeBook forum of a user who was trying to get PC ADE working on LINUX who was locked out of his purchased books because each installation was counted as a different device. This initiated a long annoying effort to get Adobe support to let him access his books even though they do not support Linux.
Things might have changed.
They might not.

If I were inclined to spend money on Adobe-DRM'ed ebooks (that'll be a cold day in the Amazon jungle!) I'd do as suggested. Just to be on the safe side.

Until then, I'll rather buy LIT, Mobi, or Kindle ebook, in that order.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:25 AM   #47
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books
LARdT began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3ext (Papyre 6.1)
I see. Thanks. typical side effect.

ADE DRM scheme was supposed to be the core of the bussiness strategy for ADOBE. Great.
LARdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #48
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARdT View Post
I see. Thanks. typical side effect.

ADE DRM scheme was supposed to be the core of the bussiness strategy for ADOBE. Great.
And it is a great strategy! Its working like a charm!

They demonize Amazon for DRM lock-in and use the threat of "big, bad Amazon" stampede all the other online bookstores into Adobe DRM lock-in. So far its worked beautifully! They even got Sony to drink their Kool-aid.

Now all they have to do is sit back and watch their monopoly grow.

The beauty of lock-in is that once you lock the customers in, you can take your sweet time in fixing bugs and issues. Better yet, since it is "My way or the highway" you don't *really* have to fix all the bugs and glitches.

You have to admire Adobe for the brilliant way they hijacked an otherwise open standard and stampeded an industry into doing what was best for Adobe, not the publishers or the readers. And they did it all in one short year too.

Brilliant, just absolutely brilliant.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #49
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The way I understand it, ADE will (on occasion?) see a newly-flashed Hanlin as a new, different device. I saw a report on the BeBook forum of a user who was trying to get PC ADE working on LINUX who was locked out of his purchased books because each installation was counted as a different device. This initiated a long annoying effort to get Adobe support to let him access his books even though they do not support Linux.
Things might have changed.
They might not.

If I were inclined to spend money on Adobe-DRM'ed ebooks (that'll be a cold day in the Amazon jungle!) I'd do as suggested. Just to be on the safe side.

Until then, I'll rather buy LIT, Mobi, or Kindle ebook, in that order.
This is why B&N/Fictionwise/Ereader DRM is the best of the worst - it is not device dependent - When Adobe includes this support for Epub next year the lock out issues should go away (If the hardware manufacturers include it in their firmware)...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #50
cloggy
Connoisseur
cloggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-T1
OK, having played with it yesterday and today, I decided to stay with it. The main reasons to walk away from OpenInkpot:
1) No proper USB support (opened a ticket for it, some more reported the same, but so far, not a single activity seen)
2) PDF files never could and still cannot be displayed in a proper way
3) Bookshelf functions like copy, move, delete are still missing
4) I have my doubts about FBReader. An ePub book in Calibre and FBReader in Windows is not displayed in the same way as with OI.

So, for now, and probably quite some more time, I'll stick with your version of the firmware. Chapeau!!

One thing would be very much appreciated, and some more people also reported it, the differences in font sizes are way too big. Is there anything that can be done to this to make the steps smaller? You will make many more friends with it..

regards..
cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #51
acolsandra
Enthusiast
acolsandra began at the beginning.

Device: bebook1, pocketbook 302
Does anyone have battery problems? I charged it for the most of the day and the battery indicator stills says it's empty and the battery led keeps on lighting orange. I tried a second battery and still the same problem. I tried loading it with mains and with usb, no difference.
acolsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #52
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

No charging issues on my BeBook...
Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #53
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Hi Sandra.

Try reinstalling the BeBook firmware and see if that cures the battery problem.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #54
acolsandra
Enthusiast
acolsandra began at the beginning.

Device: bebook1, pocketbook 302
Hi Stormchild, nice to see you on this forum.

I didn't have to reinstall bebook firmware. I was tired with the problem and just wanted to read a book, in the book it shows the normal batterymeter. Maybe it's reversed in the main pages? (white is full, black is empty?).
extra: The firmware is nice to for people who have bad eyesight, the main menu's have a much larger font.
acolsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:57 AM   #55
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I too noticed in previous versions of alternative firmwares that the black and white code for the battery meter is inverted between the main menu and the software used to read books.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:15 AM   #56
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have only one little problem with this firmware: when I read a pdf and put my reader into sleep mode, when I awaken it, the zoom setting is lost and it is back to zoom setting number 1. Sometimes it also awakens back not to the page I was reading but to the previous page.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #57
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloggy View Post
3) Bookshelf functions like copy, move, delete are still missing
Just to set the record straight: 'delete' isn't missing. When in Bookshelf, a long press of the book number brings up a menu that has a delete option. No copy or move, though.

To each his own; I went back to OI, mostly for the tweakability their FBReader implementation gives you, with things like font size, line spacing and margins.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #58
Alan McCright
Alan McCright is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3, BeBook
Alternate DLD site for English firmware version?

I believe my better-half might like to try this firmware on her BeBook.

However, the Nakido site at:
http://www.nakido.com/BD85086DECEE46...E553C55318F8C3

seems very unfriendly. It requires I download and install a proprietary download program which my virus scanner flags as malware.

Understandably, I am unwilling to disregard my trusted virus scanner and trust unknown software from an unknown site.

Is there an alternate server from which the firmware may be downloaded?

Thanks.
Alan McCright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #59
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books
LARdT began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3ext (Papyre 6.1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan McCright View Post
I believe my better-half might like to try this firmware on her BeBook.

However, the Nakido site at:
http://www.nakido.com/BD85086DECEE46...E553C55318F8C3

seems very unfriendly.

Thanks.
They have changed the conditions, I'm posting another link.
I'm fed up with this file sharing sites
LARdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #60
Alan McCright
Alan McCright is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3, BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARdT View Post
They have changed the conditions, I'm posting another link.
I'm fed up with this file sharing sites
I understand completely. May I suggest the site we prefer? http://ifile.it/
Easy to use and never a problem or surprise.

I did manage to download the file from: http://www.mascal.it/file/Tirwal-1.5-2.22ES231209.zip.

It is great!

Thank you.
Alan McCright is offline   Reply With Quote