Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Current software version for Kindle 1?

I was expecting a software update after the Kindle 2 came out adding some of the new interface features, but nothing materialized. What version should my Kindle 1 be running?
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnbear View Post
I was expecting a software update after the Kindle 2 came out adding some of the new interface features, but nothing materialized. What version should my Kindle 1 be running?
v1.2 is the latest at this point.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
You should have version 1.2. Go to Menu>Settings and at teh bottom there will be Version: Kindle 1.x. If you do not, go to Amazon and to the "Manage your Kindle" page and there should be a place to download your update.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If you click on 'settings' from the home page, there should be an option "Upgrade". If its in black, just click on it.......if its greyed out, you will have to do it the long way, via 'manage my kindle'.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Yeah it looks like I am on the latest. Hmm. I was hoping for the new way to display how much of the book you have completed to be added to kindle 1... Hopefully eventually
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

There are two schools of thought regarding SW upgrades and consumer devices like the Kindle:
1) It's like a PC (or an iPhone), and of course customers get new software upgrades, maybe free, or maybe for a fee.
2) It's like your microwave. The new models have more features, but you have to buy the new model to get them. Note, it costs a company money to retrofit to "older" devices (develop, test, document, release), and an upgrade might cause service calls or go wrong, so why bother? Buy the new stuff.

You might assume that if Amazon had a new paid service or if a new feature will cause more books to be bought, then there is an incentive to upgrade the installed base. On the other hand, if it's support for the 5-way, then no retrofit. And then there is a gray middle ground. The sync stuff apparently made the cut. I wouldn't hold my breath for more, but you never know.
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Version 1.2 addressed one of my pet peeves (and a big training issue I had with my mother)...the need to go to content manager to delete stuff...now you can do it from you home page
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Version 1.2 addressed one of my pet peeves (and a big training issue I had with my mother)...the need to go to content manager to delete stuff...now you can do it from you home page
Or from inside the book itself via the menu.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnbear View Post
Yeah it looks like I am on the latest. Hmm. I was hoping for the new way to display how much of the book you have completed to be added to kindle 1... Hopefully eventually
Maybe its just me, but I find the location dots quite telling.

If they're 1/3 the way there, I'm 1/3 into the book. If it shows 1/2, then I'm halfway thru, etc.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
My assumption is that Amazon makes their money on the content, not the device. The more they keep customers buying and using the Kindle, the more books, magazines and newspapers they sale. To a great extent, Apple is the opposite, they use the iTunes store to sale hardware (iPhones, iTouch, iPods). Both ways can make money, and certainly if Amazon can make a profit on each Kindle sold, that's great, but they need to stay focused on what their core business is, which is the books.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I do think the % instead of dots would make it easier to remember where you were and find your way back when you accidentally lose your place (something I don't have a problem with but my mother does on occasion and I still can't figure out how she does it).
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:53 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
My assumption is that Amazon makes their money on the content, not the device.
Currently, I don't think so, not with the $9.99 ebooks at any rate.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote