Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Kindle coming to Germany this fall (yes, it's a rumor)

Don't place your bets just yet, but rumors are beginning to swirl about Amazon's Kindle going overseas - to Germany! Georg Meck of the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung reports:

Quote:
Im Herbst soll es so weit sein, ist in der Verlagsszene zu hören. Ein großer Auftritt Amazons zur Frankfurter Buchmesse Anfang Oktober wird vermutet. Der Geschäftsführer von Amazon in Deutschland, Ralf Kleber, blockt ab: „Wir wissen, dass viele Kunden auch außerhalb Amerikas daran interessiert sind, den Kindle zu kaufen, und dementsprechend wollen wir den Reader auch in anderen Ländern zur Verfügung stellen.“ Zum Preis, den er für den Kindle hierzulande verlangen wird, sagt er natürlich kein Wort.
Article: Amazon kopiert Apple

For those whose German is a bit rusty, insiders in the publishing scene expect the Kindle to be introduced during the Frankfurt Book Fair (October 15-19). Amazon Germany doesn't directly comment other than to acknowledge that there is high demand for the Kindle outside the US and that therefore the company is participating a launch in other countries as well (without naming a price).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Isn't this what we heard last year?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Not exactly... last year we heard the Kindle was going to be introduced in Frankfurt. This time it's about a possible launch outside the US.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
stgben
Enthusiast
stgben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle
Is this at all related to the rumors of Kindle 2.0 being released this October? Would they skip releasing the first gen overseas if the second gen was due out in a matter of days/weeks/months?
stgben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
TomBolini
ebooks distributor
TomBolini doesn't litterTomBolini doesn't litter

Device: HP2710p iLiad Cybook Sony 505 Kindle DR1000S
mmmhhh... looks like they'll launch the Kindle 2.0 AND enter new markets in October...
TomBolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Maybe 2.0 will have the option to run with a SIM card or something like this.

I cannot imagine that Amazon will manage to get something like Whispernet working in Germany... telecos there are just too greedy. ;(
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgben View Post
Is this at all related to the rumors of Kindle 2.0 being released this October? Would they skip releasing the first gen overseas if the second gen was due out in a matter of days/weeks/months?
Just remember all the rumors we heard about Sony releasing overseas. Took them a bit of time to actually do it. So as far as Kindle 2.0 goes, I'd call that a wild rumor at present. I can see people waiting for 2.0 in October just to be disappointed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:07 AM   #8
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Don't place your bets just yet, but rumors are beginning to swirl about Amazon's Kindle going overseas - to Germany!
If Germany gets the Kindle before the UK then it means war!
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I would be very surprised if the Kindele hits germany in October. Too few german titles are available at the moment, and as far as i know, the publishers where not yet contacted by amazon. So i will wait aptiently till Octobre and see what happens
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #10
mikecook
Enthusiast
mikecook began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini, Nexus 7, Sony Reader, Kindle, and others.
Perhaps I will take a visit up to Frankfurt for a couple of days and see what happens first hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
I would be very surprised if the Kindele hits germany in October. Too few german titles are available at the moment, and as far as i know, the publishers where not yet contacted by amazon...
You could be right there. Saying that though, it still surprises me at how much Germans read (books), at least compared to the UK and US!

I fully believe that when eBooks do take off here in Germany, they are going to be much bigger than in the UK or US (percentage wise - the U.S. has a population of 300M - double UK and DE combined!)
mikecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
OK, so now I'm getting my hopes up again...damn....

Tribble is right, there are very few titles available in German, but that would not matter to me, since I only read English books anyway...but it would matter to the majority of amazon.de customers.

However, if Amazon manages to release a moderately large Kindle library (of german books) then they might just be able to pull it off.

What I'm worried about however is this:

At the moment I buy Mobipocket Books from booksonboard.com and get good prices since I pay the $ price in € and save about 50-60% that way...the weak dollar really helps here, but if Amazon goes local here then they'll surely want to sell ebooks at $=€ prices over amazon.de and will probably not allow purchases from a german Kindle on amazon.com

Booksonboard and other sites would however still be an option, so there really isn't much to lose...

I'm getting carried away, it might be the same as last year where we all thought Amazon is going to launch the Kindle at the Frankfurt Book Fair and then they just quietly unveiled it a few weeks later...after we had all decided there was no kindle at all...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
SandySchwab
Mad Author
SandySchwab began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Too few german titles are available at the moment,
Not to mention too few people knowing what an e-book is!

Cheers,
Sandy

SandySchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:30 AM   #13
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySchwab View Post
Not to mention too few people knowing what an e-book is!

Cheers,
Sandy

But we know how to deal with these tiny little black patterns they call alphabet

Would it only be a PRS-505 to arrive in Germany (best with a replaceable battery, of course) ...

BTW there are a lot of ebooks in German but not so many commercial ones. Besides the Project Gutenberg books and others there are "Digitale Bibliothek" CDs and DVDs (= digital library) including a very sophisticated ebook management software which includes nice search and navigation features and lets you export content (txt and print->pdf, not directly to an ebook format, at least up to version 4, the newest one I have). For books with pictures I have to stick to pdf, unfortunately. Two of their collection DVDs and you're done with your classics e-library (including arts) in nice editions. Nowadays you can also buy download versions of the CDs but I think it would be misleading to call this ebook download. No bestsellers though.

That's why I'm not interested in a Kindle at all. But maybe Amazon has enough market power to boost the ebook market in Germany, as they did with the online store business as such.

Recheers,
hansl

Last edited by hansl; 08-14-2008 at 05:39 AM.
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
Tali
Tali began at the beginning.

Device: still bcowsing
The issues, having to do with e-readers getting to other countries, seem a little complicated to me. What if I want books in my native tongue? Not to mention connectivity issues, and a specific solution for Macs. every time one of these companies will want to move into a different country they'll probably need a new local team.
Tali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Isn't this what we heard last year?
Now it is 2010 and the Kindle on amzon.de has finally arrived: as a re-direct to amazon.com.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, germany, kindle