Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Um, possibly stupid question, but why doesn't it work natively on the Kobo?

Or is there still no one who actually knows how to write a launcher stub for running commands from an easy GUI menu on the Kobo?

Can't you add custom scripts to Kobo Start Menu or something??? This should not be so complicated...

As I said before -- I don't own a Kobo and am not familiar with how to hack it, but it does sound like Kobo Start Menu is equivalent or has similar functionality to KUAL (i.e. you use it to launch custom actions by way of shell scripts).

If it takes five minutes to write a simple JSON description for KUAL, I imagine it should take about the same time to package a hack for the Kobo.
I refuse to believe that this is the first time anyone thought of running custom shell scripts on demand on the Kobo.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #17
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
If it has a user interface that works on the Kobo, reads the touchscreen, displays properly on the device, then it would not be hard to add it to tshering's Kobo Start Menu. The script to launch it, isn't the hard part.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2016, 04:08 PM   #18
gummihuhn
Enthusiast
gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Well, based on the nudge from eschwartz and Ken, I took a look at this. And it is definitely a bit more complicated than:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If it takes five minutes to write a simple JSON description for KUAL, I imagine it should take about the same time to package a hack for the Kobo.
I refuse to believe that this is the first time anyone thought of running custom shell scripts on demand on the Kobo.
If I can get Syncthing running on the Kobo via SSH, I guess I can reverse engineer how to hack the relevant menu entries, or in the worst case ask someone for help.

Granted, before today I've not done anything more tricky on the Kobo than install Koreader and KSM. So it could just be inexperience on my part. I've now installed dropbear on the Kobo and put Syncthing on it. But I'm getting an error saying that the Kobo is refusing to let Syncthing open a port, similar to https://forum.syncthing.net/t/16-32-...-address/668/4

Poking around on the Kobo and about 1/2 an hour of internet searches hasn't clued me in to what the problem might be. I don't see any firewall rules (iptables or otherwise) on the Kobo. Maybe I need to add some lines to /etc/inetd.conf.local (and perhaps /etc/services)? I'm afraid I don't have any experience with inetd. I probably just need to read through some man pages (maybe if I get some time this weekend) but any tips in the meantime are welcome.
gummihuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #19
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the kobo by default has no local interface so you might need an `ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1` if you want to bind stuff to that address. or you could install my webportal mod which does something similar.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #20
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummihuhn View Post
If I can get Syncthing running on the Kobo via SSH, I guess I can reverse engineer how to hack the relevant menu entries, or in the worst case ask someone for help.

Granted, before today I've not done anything more tricky on the Kobo than install Koreader and KSM. So it could just be inexperience on my part. I've now installed dropbear on the Kobo and put Syncthing on it. But I'm getting an error saying that the Kobo is refusing to let Syncthing open a port, similar to https://forum.syncthing.net/t/16-32-...-address/668/4

Poking around on the Kobo and about 1/2 an hour of internet searches hasn't clued me in to what the problem might be. I don't see any firewall rules (iptables or otherwise) on the Kobo. Maybe I need to add some lines to /etc/inetd.conf.local (and perhaps /etc/services)? I'm afraid I don't have any experience with inetd. I probably just need to read through some man pages (maybe if I get some time this weekend) but any tips in the meantime are welcome.
This is how I start syncthing on the Kobo.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
syncthing_log=/mnt/onboard/syncthing_extern.log

ifconfig lo | grep -q addr:127.0.0.1 || ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
/adds/syncthing/syncthing -no-browser -gui-address=0.0.0.0:8384 >> $syncthing_log 2>&1
This lets me connect to the GUI from the nickel webbrowser (http://127.0.0.1:8384), and from my pc (http://10.0.0.3:8384. Take your IP.)
As you see from the script, I put the executable syncthing to /adds/syncthing/. So you have to change this, if you put it another location. The logging is not necessary, of course. But I am still testing, since I did not know syncthing before.

It might be a good idea, if execute the commands from telnet while you are testing things. I will update KSM (maybe this weekend) in order to make it easier to ran scripts in the background so that the menu is not blocked. Then it will be really easy to start and kill syncthing.

Last edited by tshering; 01-20-2016 at 04:57 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2016, 01:06 AM   #21
gummihuhn
Enthusiast
gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.gummihuhn solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Thanks frostschutz and tshering!

tshering's script did the trick for me. I haven't played around with it much yet, but Syncthing now appears to be working properly on the Kobo. I can now sync wirelessly directly with my other computers and my Android device, and manage the sync settings via a web browser.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:10 AM   #22
gummihuhn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I will update KSM (maybe this weekend) in order to make it easier to ran scripts in the background so that the menu is not blocked. Then it will be really easy to start and kill syncthing.
That would be great!
Old 01-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #23
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
I will update KSM (maybe this weekend) in order to make it easier to ran scripts in the background so that the menu is not blocked. Then it will be really easy to start and kill syncthing.
That would be great!
I have changed my mind. I think it is better I provide an install package for syncthing.

Quote:
I can now sync wirelessly directly with my other computers and my Android device, and manage the sync settings via a web browser.
Did you try to manage the sync settings via the web browser on the Kobo device? How does it work for you? For instance, I cannot add a folder. With the stock web browser, the input mask is so distorted, that I cannot make head or tail of it. With my own web browser, I can at least fill in the data, but the safe button does not work. The cancel button, however, works, great.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:41 PM   #24
gummihuhn
Enthusiast

Quote:
I have changed my mind. I think it is better I provide an install package for syncthing.
Sounds great!

Quote:
Did you try to manage the sync settings via the web browser on the Kobo device? How does it work for you? For instance, I cannot add a folder. With the stock web browser, the input mask is so distorted, that I cannot make head or tail of it. With my own web browser, I can at least fill in the data, but the safe button does not work. The cancel button, however, works, great.
I guess you mean the nickel web browser. I don't use nickel (don't even bother to register and set it up), so no, I haven't tried it on that. I've just been managing it via my laptop's browser (http.//<ip_of_kobo_here>:8384). You can add a folder by directly editting the Syncthing config.xml file if you prefer, either on the Kobo or via telnet/ssh.

I guess for most use cases, the Syncthing settings and synced folders on the Kobo won't change very often, so I figure most people won't mind configuring these from a browser on another device.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #25
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Might this fit in the picture? Perhaps a Frostschutz/Tshering collaboration. is in order?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #26
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I guess for most use cases, the Syncthing settings and synced folders on the Kobo won't change very often, so I figure most people won't mind configuring these from a browser on another device.
This is my guess too. I have uploaded the install package to the KSM thread (here).
Old 01-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
So tshering -- that would be an example of how to add custom script actions to the Kobo using KSM, similar to the Kindle Unified Application Launcher extensions?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #28
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
So tshering -- that would be an example of how to add custom script actions to the Kobo using KSM, similar to the Kindle Unified Application Launcher extensions?
This is how one can do it, if files have to be copied to the system partition, or if a lot of files are concerned. If only some scripts that can be run from the user partition are concerned, one can simply copy them to certain sub folders of KSM.
As for KUAL, I do not know. I have never seen it.

Last edited by tshering; 01-21-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:03 AM   #29
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I guess, my answer yesterday was beside the point, since you did not ask how to get stuff on the Kobo in general.
Having looked at your "simple JSON description" I understand your question better now. KSM has some dedicated folders where you can put your sh script files directly, or in sub folders if you like. Then you can browse through these folders and select the script you want to execute.

Last edited by tshering; 01-22-2016 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #30
akamaus
akamaus began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
syncthing 1.0.0 for kobo

I found this thread with google and later discovered there is a readily available solution hidden here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=82

I recreated the archive replacing old syncthing binary with current version
available on github. Installation instructions from original post work.

Many thanks to original author.
Attached Files
File Type: zip syncthing-1.0.0-for-ksm.zip (6.44 MB, 260 views)

Last edited by akamaus; 01-20-2019 at 02:11 PM.
akamaus is offline   Reply With Quote