Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #61
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I use it to convert books to send out for review and to check various formatting. I'm also considering selling books direct from my website so it would be used to create final formatting. I can track various versions and details using Calibre. It's a pretty awesome tool.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #62
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Calibre, you amazing tool. I use it to

-strip drm
-edit metadata (and sometimes change book covers) -- particularly for series info. I have a plugboard set up that sends the series metadata into the title field when I move files to my ereaders so that book series show up in order when I sort by title. Helpful, especially when one one series I reread frequently has 30+ volumes.
-tag by genre, subject matter, and anything else that feels appropriate. (I so wish the Nooks would recognize tags)
-covert files
-download and update fanfiction (via the fanfiction downloader plugin; it's amazing)
-manage my library and transfer books to my device

There's so much more that it can do, that I almost feel like I'm wasting its potential, but that's really all I need from it. Still, with those few things I use it for, I've found I'd have a hard time living without it.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #63
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Up to now I've used it more for converting the epubs I've made in Sigil to mobipocket format and sometimes for PDF conversions as well. Haven't used it for sorting out my books much yet though I know it's useful for that too. I picked up the book at Amazon on how to use Calibre the other day so I might use it more for other things in the future.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #64
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I only use it to convert de-DRMed books to epub and to correct metadata on same. I copy the books to my library and delete the files from calibre.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #65
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I use it to convert books to send out for review and to check various formatting. I'm also considering selling books direct from my website so it would be used to create final formatting. I can track various versions and details using Calibre. It's a pretty awesome tool.
I wouldn't recommend using calibre's epub output as final formatting without at least opening it in Sigil and checking everything. Calibre's great and all, but there's really no replacement for manual proofing by a real person.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #66
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I wouldn't recommend using calibre's epub output as final formatting without at least opening it in Sigil and checking everything. Calibre's great and all, but there's really no replacement for manual proofing by a real person.
Thanks for the tip--I do open it in a Nook reader (which is where I then upload it.) Or I send it to a reviewer. I haven't had any problems thus far, but that could just be that no one has told me about problems! If I sell the files myself I guess I may need to look into another way to view them. Thanks.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #67
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I use it to convert to mobi. I've also downloaded the plug ins for stripping DRM, but haven't gotten around to installing them yet.
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #68
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
avantman42 thank you so very much

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #69
atordo
Connoisseur
atordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to beholdatordo is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle Touch
I love the ability to create an ebook from news feeds and customize your own recipes. So everyday I create a custom newspaper from two sources, the local news from my hometown and the local news from where I live now (I can get the "big news" just elsewhere).

It makes an amusing reading to know what's going on here and also keep in touch with my old hometown.
atordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #70
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I use it to add covers to recipe books I make with Atlantis Wordprocessor and Sigil, and to load books on the PRS-T1's without using the crappy Sony software.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #71
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
avantman42 thank you so very much

applesauce
Glad it helped
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #72
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I use a plugin to strip DRM as necessary.
I use it to manage what is on my Kindle.
I use it to manage my Kindle Collections (sometimes)
I use it to backup my ebook collection.
I use it to format shift books purchased in other formats.
I use it to download covers and metadata to ebooks that come with fugly generic covers.
I have also used it to correct formatting issues in epubs, but not very frequently.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #73
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I am a total Calibre addict, though my extremely limited knowledge of CSS does not allow me to use all of its potential. To all the uses that have been mentioned already, I would also add that you can use Calibre as a server and "braodcast" your library, and connect to it wirelessly with your device to pick up books if for whatever reason you are unable to connect it via USB cable. It saved me when a firmware update on my device made it unrecognisable to my laptop!

Viva Kovid and his bunch!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #74
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I've mostly used it to convert and or have it match the output to my devices, including .epub
to .epub.

One new thing I've used it for is making omnibus .epubs using the Merging plugin. Sometimes
that leads to making a new overall cover, in GIMP2 , and adding that to the merged "Omnibus".

Luck;
Ken

Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #75
africalass
Connoisseur
africalass began at the beginning.

Location: Various - sometimes UK, sometimes South Africa, sometimes other countries in Europe / Africa
Device: Windows Laptop; Kindle Keyboard; Hudl2 (Android), iPhone
I use Calibre for loads of things, including several it probably wasn't meant for.

A lot of the uses are mentioned above - stripping DRM (off my own books - I can't use Kindle for PC), organising collections on the Kindle, managing all my purchased/free ebooks, keeping track of which books I've read etc..

In addition to my Fiction and Non-Fiction Libraries (I keep them separate so that I don't have millions of tags), I also use Calibre to organise/catalogue various other content on my laptop. The reason for this is that I much prefer to use tags to find my content, as I can get there much quicker than through a Windows Explorer set up, especially as much of the content is not year specific. So my current libraries include:

* Recipes (includes a couple of books purchased from Amazon, but mainly good recipes I've found on the internet and printed to pdf - tags allow key ingredients to be noted)

* Schooling (again includes a couple of Amazon books, but also any good homeschooling activities I've found online, or thought of myself, or downloaded from TES - generally pdf or docs)

* Teaching (I work at a tertiary college in Africa and have loads of different courses that I've either taught myself, or OH has, or a colleague, or internet articles that back up notes - tag structuring here is reeeaaaly helpful)

* Academic (articles from journals that I've downloaded and may want to refer to again in the future, also some portions of books from google books)

* Admin (manuals for anything I own - cameras etc.., plus info downloaded from the internet I may want such as HMRC forms and notes) (particularly as I don't have consistent internet access)

* Games (games / quizzes / dramas I've written or found - tagged so that if I'm running an event I can quickly find something suitable for a small / large group) - well, it's a work in progress!

* Travel (mainly maps of other places - but I may merge this with the Non-Fiction library if it stays small)

Hope this helps!
africalass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre