Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #496
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
Haha, Hugh actually speaks on that exact subject in one of his facebook posts recently and his response is classic, but best not repeated here.
There were some hilarious comments on that post, too.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:29 AM   #497
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
There were some hilarious comments on that post, too.

Is there a link to the post? I can't find the comments. I'm curious what people have to say.

BTW, to amend the warning, for those who care, there are also a significant number of references to a rather old profession.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2014, 05:34 AM   #498
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Is there a link to the post? I can't find the comments. I'm curious what people have to say.

BTW, to amend the warning, for those who care, there are also a significant number of references to a rather old profession.
Lawyers???!!! I'm not reading it then!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #499
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
You read Sand while sitting on a sand dune? That's awesome
Somehow I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be that awesome to read WOOL while seating on a skein of wool, would it?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #500
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Wool 1,2,3,4,5

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Somehow I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be that awesome to read WOOL while seating on a skein of wool, would it?

Haha. Funny
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #501
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

Yes. Took me a minute to remember how to link to a FB post.

NSFW Language Ahead!!!
https://www.facebook.com/hughhowey/p...?stream_ref=10
Old 04-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #502
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
No, but a wool buffing pad would be awesome!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #503
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
This is a very old thread I know, but ran across this article on CNN about companies selling doomsday bunkers to the wealthy.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/20/luxury...ers/index.html

One guy has bought a couple of nuclear hardened old missle silos and has already converted one to condos, and is he's going to do the other one. Immmediately reminded me of the Silo series.

I for one, find all this rather disconcerting. As a species, have we thrown in the towel?

Last edited by drofgnal; 04-21-2017 at 03:28 PM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #504
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
This is a very old thread I know, but ran across this article on CNN about companies selling doomsday bunkers to the wealthy.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/20/luxury...ers/index.html

One guy has bought a couple of nuclear hardened only missle silos and has already converted one to condos, and is he's going to do the other one. Immmediately reminded me of the SIlo series.

I for one, find all this rather disconcerting. As a species, have we thrown in the towel?
No, but extremists make headlines, the rest of us aren't newsworthy.
So you can quit being disconcerting.
For fun, Google Doomsday preppers.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #505
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
No. It's more a case of some of those with immense wealth needing something exclusive and unusual to spend it on. And luxury doomsday bunkers fits the bill rather well, I think.

xPoint in South Dakota is sort of the budget version, so if doomsday comes, those people will probably be workers in the restructuring. They won't tell them that on the sales contract though...
Old 04-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #506
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
No, but extremists make headlines, the rest of us aren't newsworthy.
So you can quit being disconcerting.
For fun, Google Doomsday preppers.
And be prepared to start seeing a bunch of ads for MRE, guns and ammo the next time you bring google up!

Preppers have been around since at least the early 70's, so this isn't exactly new. It's really become a big industry. A lot of the backpacker's freeze dried meal companies are moving into the prepper market in a big way.

I suspect that some people who have vacation homes might keep a stock of such food stuffs for potential power outages and the like.

Of course, before we point the finger too much at preppers, I would note that safe rooms have because an item for city dwellers as well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #507
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
And be prepared to start seeing a bunch of ads for MRE, guns and ammo the next time you bring google up!

Preppers have been around since at least the early 70's, so this isn't exactly new. It's really become a big industry. A lot of the backpacker's freeze dried meal companies are moving into the prepper market in a big way.

I suspect that some people who have vacation homes might keep a stock of such food stuffs for potential power outages and the like.

Of course, before we point the finger too much at preppers, I would note that safe rooms have because an item for city dwellers as well.
I would guess most people with vacation homes would just take their groceries with them. I can't see why a vacation home would be any more susceptible to power outages. Unless we are thinking 2 different things. Are you talking about cabins or actual homes? And actually unless you visit often, I don't think you would want to leave pouch food in a cabin in the woods. Animal factor. Now I have seen where they keep canned goods there.
Though most getaway homes stoves run on propane not electricity so canned foods would be just as good as the MRE's.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #508
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would guess most people with vacation homes would just take their groceries with them. I can't see why a vacation home would be any more susceptible to power outages. Unless we are thinking 2 different things. Are you talking about cabins or actual homes? And actually unless you visit often, I don't think you would want to leave pouch food in a cabin in the woods. Animal factor. Now I have seen where they keep canned goods there.
Though most getaway homes stoves run on propane not electricity so canned foods would be just as good as the MRE's.
Pouched food is put in a sealed metal or heavy plastic container. They will last 10 years or more. I'm thinking mountain homes, cabins on the lake and sea side homes. Yes, people normally do take their groceries with them, but some just want to have a back up. Heck, I normally keep about 2 weeks worth of pasta and rice dishes on hand. More than once, I've fixed that on a camping stove when the power went out during a storm.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #509
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Pouched food is put in a sealed metal or heavy plastic container. They will last 10 years or more. I'm thinking mountain homes, cabins on the lake and sea side homes. Yes, people normally do take their groceries with them, but some just want to have a back up. Heck, I normally keep about 2 weeks worth of pasta and rice dishes on hand. More than once, I've fixed that on a camping stove when the power went out during a storm.
Just 2 weeks? I have enough soup, canned meats and pasta to last a month.
We have a gas stove which helps. We also have a camp stove and a propane grill.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #510
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just 2 weeks? I have enough soup, canned meats and pasta to last a month.
We have a gas stove which helps. We also have a camp stove and a propane grill.
I live in Atlanta within walking distance of several grocery stores. If I have to last more than 2 weeks before stocking up again, then the Zombie Apocalypse has arrived, in which case I have much bigger problems.