Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Preferences & Cover Questions

I assumed that setting "Look & Feel" values in the "Conversion" part of the "Preference Menu" would act as a defacto default set. If this is true, I can't seem to get it to work (v7.23). Any thoughts?

I downloaded some books without covers and let Calibre generate a cover for me. I later found that many had covers that could be downloaded by Calibre. I did so, but can't figure out how to add them to the books without doing a series of conversions. Is there a better way?

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
I assumed that setting "Look & Feel" values in the "Conversion" part of the "Preference Menu" would act as a defacto default set. If this is true, I can't seem to get it to work (v7.23). Any thoughts?
They do. Unless the book you're trying to convert has it's own values stored, maybe from before you were setting the preferences.

Quote:
I downloaded some books without covers and let Calibre generate a cover for me. I later found that many had covers that could be downloaded by Calibre. I did so, but can't figure out how to add them to the books without doing a series of conversions. Is there a better way?
AFAIK, book covers only get added during conversion. If you see the cover you want to have in the edit metadata- dialog, everything is fine once you convert. You can convert with source and destination format being the same, if you need to.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Manichean - Thanks for the help.

I finally got the "preference" stuff figured out and it does work as expected.

Doing a conversion is the only way I can figure out to put a cover on(in?) a book.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
As of 0.7.11 calibre added the following:
EPUB metadata: When setting metadata in an EPUB file, if it has a well defined image based cover, update it
This means if calibre generated the cover there is a good chance the cover is "a well defined image based cover" so deleting the book on the device and resending the book to the device will insert the new cover. If the cover isn't inserted during resend then a conversion will be needed.

Edit: In a recent post I recall Kovid saying this works for well defined image based covers in mobi files too.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-13-2010 at 09:06 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote