Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #31
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
True, but the touch layer distorts/changes the readability.
As I said.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
As I said.
So the end result, the end experience is the same as having a different screen, because it is. Sorta like putting a layer of plastic over your HDTV display.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
True, but the touch layer distorts/changes the readability.
I didn't care for the 700 because of the lights between the screen and the touch layer. But the 600 is not bad because the light layer has gone and the touch layer is right near the screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #34
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I didn't care for the 700 because of the lights between the screen and the touch layer. But the 600 is not bad because the light layer has gone and the touch layer is right near the screen.
I've never seen a 700, but from all I hear it was "worse" than the 600 in those respects. And for the reasons you state.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've never seen a 700, but from all I hear it was "worse" than the 600 in those respects. And for the reasons you state.
The 600 is really no worse then a K2.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #36
kennyc

Quote:
The 600 is really no worse then a K2.
well, my K2 is equivalent to my 505 as far as display, contrast, clarity, sharpness, and the 600 which I compared side-by-side with my 505 is not.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #37
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
last mobileread meet-up had 600, 505, and (Well, in think that's 700, fist sony touch screen.)
While the 600 screen is better than 700, it's not up to the 505's.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:57 AM   #38
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belynda View Post
Many Many thanks for all your help. I think I am sorted out now. What I great site this is and what helpful people. I think I will hang around and learn lots more
Were you able to remove the DRM?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #39
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
DRM is a pain it was useful when ebooks first came out and weren't well known now it's just thorn in readers sides. The thing is DRM may force people to use illegal means to read book a they bought. I'm hoping as ebooks become more popular DRM will be dropped in favor of more open formats.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #40
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarwen View Post
DRM is a pain it was useful when ebooks first came out and weren't well known now it's just thorn in readers sides. The thing is DRM may force people to use illegal means to read book a they bought. I'm hoping as ebooks become more popular DRM will be dropped in favor of more open formats.
Well, my stance is that if I bought it, it's mine, I can do whatever I want with it for my own use as long as that doesn't infringe on others rights by law.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #41
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The means being used to remove most forms of DRM used currently, are not illegal. No DMCA violations.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #42
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
The means being used to remove most forms of DRM used currently, are not illegal. No DMCA violations.
To be pedantic about it, we do not yet know for sure whether or not "the means being used to remove most forms of DRM used currently" are legal. The DMCA is clear that creating, selling, or distributing* such tools is (at least potentially) a felony. When it comes to use of those tools, the DMCA is schizo at best. In one section it appears to say that use of DRM-removing tools is (or may be) a felony. In another section it appears to say that (paraphrasing here) nothing in the DMCA denigrates or removes any Fair Use rights** that existed before the DMCA.

Serious legal scholars differ*** on the question of which of those sections overrides the other. They even differ on the question of what each of those sections really means. All of which means that we won't know the legality for sure until either the congress clarifies by passing yet another law OR some court takes up a relevant case and provides a ruling (and that ruling goes through all possible appeals as well). Until one of these things comes to pass, confident statements about the legality (in the US) of DRM removal seem premature.

That said, I cannot believe that any District Attorney would bother bringing a DMCA case against an individual who stripped DRM from legitimately acquired content for personal use only. They'd be laughed out of the courtroom, and scolded in the press for wasting public funds! My opinion is that stripping DRM for personal use only will be found to be legal. It's certainly ethically OK in my book, and seems pretty safe as well. But remember to ensure that the authors and/or copyright owners get paid for their effort and investment -- don't "steal" (more properly "distribute without permission of copyright owner") books!

Xenophon
(who is NOT a lawyer)

*Depending on precise legal arguments (that I don't understand!) "distributing" such tools may (or may not) include linking to them, hosting them for download, telling someone else where to get them or how to use them, and/or who knows what else. Or not. Again, no court rulings on the subject to date.

**"Rights" is really the wrong term for "Fair Use." In US law, "Fair Use" is a defense against the charge of copyright violation, not a collection of rights. Fair use has never been defined in full by either congress or courts. Rather, it has grown from precedent set in quite a number of court cases. We know from these cases that certain things are "fair use" (because the court found them to be so). We also know that the cases to date do not exhaustively define the boundaries of fair use (because the courts are careful to rule only on the case before them, not on all possible fair use defenses).

***Oh boy do they differ! I took a graduate seminar in IP Law for Computer Scientists at Carnegie Mellon. One interesting aspect of the course was guest lectures by quite a few exceedingly eminent legal scholars on various aspects of the DMCA. They differed wildly on whether or not stripping DRM for personal use only is permitted under the DMCA. One went so far as to accept a token payment from interested students (a penny, IIRC) and to provide in return formal written advice-of-counsel that it's OK. Another quoted chapter and verse to demonstrate that it's a felony for sure (and that anyone who even thinks of stripping DRM is a pirate who will burn in H*ll for all eternity!). The others fell all over the spectrum in between. I think this demonstrates that it really isn't clear at all...

Last edited by Xenophon; 10-21-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Emphasize "personal use only"
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #43
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
That said, I cannot believe that any District Attorney would bother bringing a DMCA case against an individual who stripped DRM from legitimately acquired content for personal use only.
IMO, this is the main part. How would they even know you did it, and why would they care?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #44
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
IMO, this is the main part. How would they even know you did it, and why would they care?

Probably only if the individual said they had done it, like by posting messages here or on other forums saying so.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #45
Belynda
Belynda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Were you able to remove the DRM?

Regards, Alex
With some great help from here yes I was Alex many thanks to all for offers of help. Spent time today removing drm and converting books.
Belynda is offline   Reply With Quote