Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Osen
Osen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Kindle 2 fried, please help!

Short version:

How can I update my Kindle 2 under recovery mode? I tried the official 2.0.1 update and updates made by igor's tool. None of them worked. Basically after I press 1 in the recovery mode, the firmware update screen was just briefly appeared (<1/2 second), with no advances in the progress bar. And the kindle went back to reboot again. And then it tried to update the firmware and fell into a infinitely reboot loop. The only way out is by forcing into the recovery mode and delete the update bin file.

Long version:

So I was using igor's script to play with my kindle 2. Then I made a bad modification of /usr/java/lib/font.properties. After the update/reboot, it seems that the mobireader app/front GUI kept crashing and reloading, probably due to the bad font.properties definition. I had access to the kindle's disk via usb during all this. So I figured that the main os was still working fine.

Then I thought, no big deal, I'll just update it with another script to roll back the font.properties. Then I was bumped into the aforementioned question. I found that I couldn't update my firmware, despite that I have access to the recovery mode.

Many thanks for any of your input!!

Last edited by Osen; 03-20-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Osen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
superzhou
superzhou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
How did you modify your font.properties file?

I am still playing with that. want to know where is the trap...

I only modify serif so far and keep others unchanged.
superzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Osen,

It might be interesting (if you're willing) for you to be our Amazon test case. Ring up the 800 number listed on the recovery screen and ask for help. I _assume_ they'll hand you a "start from 0" .bin file. But I don't know...
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Osen

To jesse,

I will do that, but not until you guys give up on me. . I assume there exists a complete flasher for the recovery mode too. I am just a bit concerned about my warranty if I contact them... I know I should have prepared for this when I messed with my kindle!

To superzhou

The mod I made to font.properties was
Quote:
serif.0 = Caecilia_LT_65_Medium.ttf,ANSI_CHARSET
serif.1 = Droid.ttf
I was hoping that I can then use Droid font for non ANSI glyphs. I guess Kindle's JVM failed to parse the "ANSI_CHARSET" part.

Last edited by Osen; 03-16-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
superzhou

I remember the ANSI_CHARSET is for windows platform only.
I have tried to put my font to serif.1, no luck to pick up the unicode font I want it to display.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Really, if a recovery mode firmware update doesn't dtrt, I don't know what will. But I've only been at this kindle hacking thing a couple weeks.
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Osen

Quote:
Originally Posted by superzhou View Post
I remember the ANSI_CHARSET is for windows platform only.
I have tried to put my font to serif.1, no luck to pick up the unicode font I want it to display.
Yeah, I realized that after my k kicked bucket.

I tried the other way you described too and it didn't work. that's why I ventured with ansi_charset.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Osen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
Really, if a recovery mode firmware update doesn't dtrt, I don't know what will. But I've only been at this kindle hacking thing a couple weeks.
Can you try to run the update bin under recovery mode? There must be some unknown tricks so that the ones made by igor's script didn't run properly under recovery mode.

Correction to my first post: running bin's made by igor's script under recovery mode will make the machine fell into an infinite update/reboot loop. On the other hand, under recovery mode, office 2.0.1 update bin and clarknova's screensaver mod were simply ignored and the machine went on to boot the regular kernel.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
superzhou

hmm, the official bin and screen saver mod are using "ffs" instead of .sh, will it make some difference?

I was in this infinite loop before, but not for the same reason. Basically if you put your update.bin in the root directory and incorrectly select "Restart" instead of "Update your Kindle", you will get the same behavior, the only way out is delete the update bin let it boot up normally and start it again.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
To make a recovery update (as opposed to OTA update) you need to create an "FB01" file. For that, change the third parameter in the make_bin() call to 1:
Code:
make_bin("update_"+name, filelist, 1, kver)
I cannot test it as I don't have a K2 but it should work.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
superzhou

Just a thought, after your boot up into the screen shown in your photo, can you type in the update key sequence? If Kindle still accept your keybroad input, you might still go back to normal update?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
Osen

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
To make a recovery update (as opposed to OTA update) you need to create an "FB01" file. For that, change the third parameter in the make_bin() call to 1:
Code:
make_bin("update_"+name, filelist, 1, kver)
I cannot test it as I don't have a K2 but it should work.
igor, thank you for being here!

Now the bin generated was running under recovery mode. However the update was not successful. On the screen, there's a big "!". Under it it said the update was not successful and the error code is 0003. From there I can press "R" to get back to regular bootloader.

I tried your recovery bin generator with two scripts

One tried to copy the original font.properties back. The bin generated was about 128k and I enclosed it in the end.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# diff OTA patch script 

_FUNCTIONS=/etc/rc.d/functions
[ -f ${_FUNCTIONS} ] && . ${_FUNCTIONS}

MSG_SLLVL_D="debug"
MSG_SLLVL_I="info"
MSG_SLLVL_W="warn"
MSG_SLLVL_E="err"
MSG_SLLVL_C="crit"
MSG_SLNUM_D=0
MSG_SLNUM_I=1
MSG_SLNUM_W=2
MSG_SLNUM_E=3
MSG_SLNUM_C=4
MSG_CUR_LVL=/var/local/system/syslog_level

logmsg()
{
    local _NVPAIRS
    local _FREETEXT
    local _MSG_SLLVL
    local _MSG_SLNUM

_MSG_LEVEL=$1
    _MSG_COMP=$2

{ [ $# -ge 4 ] && _NVPAIRS=$3 && shift ; }

_FREETEXT=$3

eval _MSG_SLLVL=\${MSG_SLLVL_$_MSG_LEVEL}
    eval _MSG_SLNUM=\${MSG_SLNUM_$_MSG_LEVEL}

local _CURLVL

{ [ -f $MSG_CUR_LVL ] && _CURLVL=`cat $MSG_CUR_LVL` ; } || _CURLVL=1

if [ $_MSG_SLNUM -ge $_CURLVL ]; then
        /usr/bin/logger -p local4.$_MSG_SLLVL -t "ota_install" "$_MSG_LEVEL def:$_MSG_COMP:$_NVPAIRS:$_FREETEXT"
    fi

[ "$_MSG_LEVEL" != "D" ] && echo "ota_install: $_MSG_LEVEL def:$_MSG_COMP:$_NVPAIRS:$_FREETEXT"
}

if [ -z "${_PERCENT_COMPLETE}" ]; then
    export _PERCENT_COMPLETE=0
fi

update_percent_complete()
{
    _PERCENT_COMPLETE=$((${_PERCENT_COMPLETE} + $1))
    update_progressbar ${_PERCENT_COMPLETE}
}

update_percent_complete 2

cp -f /mnt/us/font.properties /usr/java/lib/font.properties
ls -al /usr/java/lib > /mnt/us/ls.txt

echo "===Done==="

update_percent_complete 30

update_progressbar 100

return 0
Another is much shorter, coz I am not sure if the mounting position is the same under recovery mode.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

sed -i -e "s/,ANSI_CHARSET//g" /usr/java/lib/font.properties

return 0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	[image-upload-109-721822.jpg].jpg
Views:	690
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	25792  
Attached Files
File Type: bin update_fontmodrecovery.bin (128.8 KB, 492 views)

Last edited by Osen; 03-16-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
superzhou

Try to put in a dumy ls command without output to a file to see if the update "success"?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
Osen

Quote:
Originally Posted by superzhou View Post
Try to put in a dumy ls command without output to a file to see if the update "success"?
Nope. I even tried with a blank script and all of them failed, with error code 3. As for your previous suggestion, I tried as well. I think it is " home, menu, 3 downs, enter, menu, 2 downs, enter" to hit update. But apparently it was handled by the mobireader app so nothing happened it seemed.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
wz2b
wz2b began at the beginning.

The bootloader doesn't check for any held-down key that forces some kind of recovery mode?
wz2b is offline   Reply With Quote