Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #91
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Glo just got updated to 2.3.1 through Desktop, from a factory reset. Worked.

Bug where you got a network error after cancelling connecting to wifi when getting dictionaries is fixed.

In Windows, the version number is part of the device name displayed when ejecting the device (through Windows eject, not Desktop).

Changing anything on the Font screen causes the screen to flash 3 times.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #92
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud357c View Post
Update received but appeared to freeze up during the install. After roughly 30 minutes I did a reset (paperclip) after which install started up again and finished within 30/45 seconds.
Glo rebooted and appears to be working fine now.
Was it doing the dancing squares during the freeze?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #93
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Mine tried to update over wifi (Canada). Downloaded to 100% then froze, and I had to do a reset. Scared to try again...
Also happened to me with my Glo and my Touch. I tried again and it worked fine on the second attempt for both
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #94
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Mine tried to update over wifi (Canada). Downloaded to 100% then froze, and I had to do a reset. Scared to try again...
My Touch just updated to 2.3.1 via Desktop with no problems. Took two or three minutes to finalize installation after I ejected from Desktop.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #95
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The book is Blindsight by Peter Watts, a free epub from Feedbooks. Deleting and reloading the book didn't help. I leave the book on page 160 of 259, and when I reopen the book the page number shows 160, but upon closer inspection it is actually on page 155, so when I turn the page it correctly advances to the next page and the page number changes from 160 to 156.

So the problem is not that it turns to the wrong page, just that it is opening the book at the wrong page while displaying the number of the page that it should have opened at rather than the one it actually did open at.
I love that book.
I can't wait for the next one. =]
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #96
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
...2.3.1 has a bug in how the reader keeps track of the current chapter. ...snip... It is possible that the 2.3.1 is having a problem with the position stored by the previous firmware. Try opening the TOC, and selecting the current chapter. Then see if you can page forward to where you are up to. If that doesn't work, delete the book from the device and add it again.
I'm getting this behavior after logout/login so I don't think it's a function of the database or anything left over from the update.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #97
spud357c
Enthusiast
spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Glo and Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Was it doing the dancing squares during the freeze?
No, it was stuck on the installing upgrade screen - the one with the sand running through the hourglass. It had been there for almost an hour and wa getting nowhere.
spud357c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #98
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Upgrade-related question: if you choose "later" rather than "install" when the message about there being a software update is given, when is "later"?

Last night I sync'd both my Touch and my Mini not realising there was an update. I let it update the Touch but chose later on the Mini because I wanted to read. When I'd finished reading I assumed there was a way to say "do the update now" but I couldn't find it. I tried another sync, I tried putting it to sleep and then waking but neither of these did anything.

Just wondering if it's going to eventually ask me again?
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #99
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Upgrade-related question: if you choose "later" rather than "install" when the message about there being a software update is given, when is "later"?

Last night I sync'd both my Touch and my Mini not realising there was an update. I let it update the Touch but chose later on the Mini because I wanted to read. When I'd finished reading I assumed there was a way to say "do the update now" but I couldn't find it. I tried another sync, I tried putting it to sleep and then waking but neither of these did anything.

Just wondering if it's going to eventually ask me again?
Try powering it off then on.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #100
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Kobo Glo, purchased in Montreal, firmware 2.3.1, r45611, 12/7/12. The screensaver bug that displays the previous book's cover is back.

I have four friendly words for the Kobo devs: systematic regression testing, guys.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #101
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
Kobo Glo, purchased in Montreal, firmware 2.3.1, r45611, 12/7/12. The screensaver bug that displays the previous book's cover is back.

I have four friendly words for the Kobo devs: systematic regression testing, guys.
I have four words for Kobo: Any Testing At All
Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #102
Urdu
Enthusiast
Urdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of lightUrdu is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma
KoboGlo firmware 2.3.1 with a SD card

All the covers that I've changed and added in Calibre to my sideloaded epubs are not shown on my Glo anymore. I've tried to delete and reload some books but the covers are not there. Is this a know problem or am I doing something wrong here?
I also have a persistent duplicating shelves problem. If hope someone can help me with this.
Urdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #103
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle58 View Post
Also happened to me with my Glo and my Touch. I tried again and it worked fine on the second attempt for both
Same for me and I am in canada too. Worked fine on second try

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #104
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
2.3.1 oddities

Just a couple of comments about updating to 2.3.1:

Books that do not specify font size as part of the chapter body have an odd glitch of dropping to the smallest font size when you page to a new chapter. Looking at the font size slider shows it at the normal position, moving it one step larger or smaller and then back restores the font to the normal size. Noted on Timespike by Eric Flint and Marilyn Kosmatka which was converted to epub by an old version of Calibre (Baen seems to have used Calibre a lot to convert their earlier ebooks to epub format). After editing the file to change the <body> tags to <body class="epub"> where 'epub' is defined in the stylesheet and has a font-size definition, the font size issue vanished.

As an experiment, I tried setting the version number in the version file to 4.9.9 and the Touch did not update though it was actually running 2.1.5 and had auto-updated to 2.3.1 earlier. Changing the version number back to 2.2.9 allowed the auto-update to work. Might be of interest to those who do not want their Kobo to auto-update.

It took longer than 2.2.1 to process the uSD cards when I inserted them into the Touch or Glo after the upgrade. OTOH, the covers and books seem to stay in sync and you get used to watching the two second delay between each cover thumbnail on the home screen being drawn.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #105
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Just a couple of comments about updating to 2.3.1:
Books that do not specify font size as part of the chapter body have an odd glitch of dropping to the smallest font size when you page to a new chapter. David

Yes I've noticed this from 2.2.1 and 2.3.1 , quite irritating.
I can't be bothered changing my ebooks tho to cater for this glitch, I'll just wait until a new firmware fixes it.

Seems like a pretty bad one for the Kobo devs to miss tho, how did this get past testing?

Last edited by danskmacabre; 12-18-2012 at 07:41 PM.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote