Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast
SpeckledJim began at the beginning.

Device: K3 WiFi
Amazon US & UK accounts

I've noticed that my US and UK amazon accounts which shared the same email address but had different passwords now share one password. Is this Kindle related? It's not exactly a problem, I guess some people may find it convenient having one less password to remember but frankly I'd rather it was left up to me whether I wanted them that way.
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Mine has always been the same login on the two sites. In fact you can log in to ANY of the Amazon sites with the same credentials.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast

Curious. Did you create them that way? Or only ever explicitly create one account?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I've always found that being at one amazon site opens another to you and they all point to the same account and details. The differences lie in what can be ordered from the different sites.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeckledJim View Post
Curious. Did you create them that way? Or only ever explicitly create one account?
I only ever created the account on amazon.co.uk, but I can log on to amazon.com, amazon.de, etc, with that same account.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeckledJim View Post
I've noticed that my US and UK amazon accounts which shared the same email address but had different passwords now share one password. Is this Kindle related? It's not exactly a problem, I guess some people may find it convenient having one less password to remember but frankly I'd rather it was left up to me whether I wanted them that way.
Just out of curiosity, did your two amazon accounts also share the same credit card?

I only ask because a German friend of mine, who lives here in France, insists that amazon.co.uk won't ship English language books to her here in France because she uses her German based credit card for the account, and so she has to use amazon.de and have the books shipped to a family member living in Germany.

This seems weird, though it's possible they are tightening up their accounts due to the Kindle store in the UK now. But I've got a single account for amazon in the US, UK, France and Germany. I do have three different credit cards - one each from the US, UK and France - and when I go to check out, they normally have the credit card from the appropriate country as the default. But I've bought books from Amazon Germany (in German) and received them here in France, paying with my French credit card.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast

They do share the same card details.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
So how would one go about registering a Kindle in the UK store, if you haven't bought it from Amazon.co.uk? There are going to be Kindles on sale at Target and Staples, some of those will be bought by unwitting tourists on a visit in the US, and they just might consider the UK store a better bargain. Do we now need a whole bunch of fake addresses in the UK? Can I claim to live at Buckingham Palace?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
I'm afraid that "Bucks" would not be an acceptable address unless you happen to know the phone number. The last time I rejiggered my home of record with Amazon, I had to produce the phone number as well as the street address.
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
... consider the UK store a better bargain ...
I checked, and was able to login to the UK store with my DE account (never did this before, so my credentials seem to be indeed globaly valid). But as far as Kindle Content is concerned, they won't sell me anything.
Here's what the front page of the UK Kindle Store tells me after logging in:
Quote:
The Kindle Store at Amazon.co.uk is for UK customers only.
You may shop for Kindle titles for Germany at the Amazon.com Kindle Store.
Have you moved recently? You may change your country on the Manage Your Kindle page.
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:50 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Exchange Germany for Sweden, and that is exactly w hat mine stated as well. 
Ahh, the challenge, the challenge! You gotta love the smell of a challenge in the morning.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #12
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Even though I live in Switzerland I use a UK credit card and UK address with Amazon. But I have found that for non-books it can be really difficult if I want stuff delivered from one country to another. I try amazon.co.uk. amazon.de, amazon.fr and amazon.com and there are variations depending on the article.

Earlier this year I wanted a DVD of the French film Tous les Matins du Monde. I found it at amazon.fr but could only have it delivered to a French address. So in the end that is what I did. I still paid with the UK card.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #13
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Earlier this year I wanted a DVD of the French film Tous les Matins du Monde. I found it at amazon.fr but could only have it delivered to a French address. So in the end that is what I did. I still paid with the UK card.
That's interesting. I was looking for a DVD (from the US) I particularly wanted and found it available at amazon.com, .co.uk and .fr for three vastly different prices. Even adding in the shipping costs from the UK to France, it was cheaper than the asking price (without shipping) from either France or the US. Maybe they were having a fire sale or something, but it seems odd when the various Amazons compete with each other like that.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote