Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #106
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Asus TF300T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
FYI, here's a thread on the Archos 7 Home Tablet as as e-book reader that's getting started over at ArchosFans... http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=33126

I'm intrigued with the $199 price, and am considering it as an interim device until the "good" Android devices come out over the next year or so. Maybe even with some of them starting to appear this summer.

Three concerns, though...
1) Is decent book reader software available for both ePub and PDF?
2) Can one control screen orientation simply (even without an accelerometer)?
3) Is the device fast enough to handle snappy page turns and large PDFs?
It uses Aldiko for epub reading, and yes, it is one of the better eReaders.

You can also install other Android Ebook reader software, however.

The Aldiko is installed with its orientation set to Portrait by default, you can easily switch it using the menus however, if you prefer landscape. The device itself defaults to landscape for most things.

Page turns in Aldiko are very responsive on the Archos 7 HT.

I have not yet tested large PDFs, but I will before I write up my full hands on review of it next week.
jalandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #107
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
As a previous owner of the Eken m001, here's some good advice...
upgrade the firmware.
I repeat, upgrade the firmware.
You won't have the wifi problem anymore and everything is much more responsive.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #108
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
This one looks promising.
Viliv X10 tablet takes on iPad with 1080p, HDMI
http://www.slashgear.com/viliv-x10-t...-more-0287907/

It's interesting since Viliv already have MID products out on the market so there products are definitely not vaporware.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:08 AM   #109
nonanon
Enthusiast
nonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmos

Device: iPad, Nook Simple Touch
Dynamism has the Viliv S10 for sale now, starting at $699 for a Win XP version with a 60 gb hard drive. The Win 7 models have solid-state drives and start at $100 more. For $850 you can get a Win 7 with a 64 gb SSD and an extra battery. That's too rich for my blood right now but it looks like a great device with a lot more utility than an iPad. It's bigger and heavier but you'd expect that with a convertible netbook. The iPad can do Netflix instant streaming but I suspect the Viliv could do the same, albeit thru a browser instead of an app. Video at http://jkontherun.com/2010/03/23/vil...lade-on-video/

Personally I'm waiting to see what they can do to the Archos 7 HT re Android Marketplace, but if the Notion Ink Adam comes out before Thanksgiving at a decent price I may get that instead. The X10 deserves a look too, once I know more about it. More X10 info at http://blog.laptopmag.com/viliv-x10-...phics-hp-video

Last edited by nonanon; 06-05-2010 at 06:12 AM.
nonanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #110
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
FYI, here's a thread on the Archos 7 Home Tablet as as e-book reader that's getting started over at ArchosFans... http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=33126

I'm intrigued with the $199 price, and am considering it as an interim device until the "good" Android devices come out over the next year or so. Maybe even with some of them starting to appear this summer.

Three concerns, though...
1) Is decent book reader software available for both ePub and PDF?
2) Can one control screen orientation simply (even without an accelerometer)?
3) Is the device fast enough to handle snappy page turns and large PDFs?
I bought an archos 5, the day before yesterday, i was impressed at think free's capability for pdf reading. (because it can reflow)

For ePub, aldiko woks fine. My only grudge with it is having to put ePubs in a specific folder. And the no folder support. Same for FBreader.

I think the specs for archos 7 are lower than the archos 5's though.

Quote:
I have not yet tested large PDFs, but I will before I write up my full hands on review of it next week.
What apps do you use to read pdf ?

Last edited by EowynCarter; 06-05-2010 at 08:25 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 05:14 AM   #111
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
Huawei S7 android 2.1 tablet £299

Specs from Slatedroid
• Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, ARM cortex A8 768MHZ
• RAM 256MB
• Storage upgradeable to 32GB with a microSD card
• 7“ WVGA 800x480 touch screen
• Sim card slot, supporting HSPA/UMTS
• WiFi 11b/g/n
• Bluetooth 2.1
• Hi-Fi speaker
• MIC
• MINI USB OTG 2.0
• 3.5mm stereo audio jack
• Micro SD slot
• Gravity sensor
• Light sensor
• 2 Megapixel camera
• Li-ION 3.7V 2200mAh

Slashgear compare it to the Dell Streak.
As a tablet/phone the Streak is available on contract, but to purchase between £329 and £400 O2 locked or unlocked. Source

Last edited by Patricia1066; 06-24-2010 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Getting the title right
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:33 AM   #112
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
Chippy saw a model in CES Jan 2010 which had a capacitative screen - why isnt that in the specs?
Chippy has a hands on video and the webcam looks ideal for video skyping.
That would make the difference for me, if I can get beyond my belief tthat 800 by 480 on a 7 inch screen just does not make a good reader.

Last edited by Patricia1066; 06-24-2010 at 05:35 AM. Reason: cant spell this morning!
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:07 AM   #113
nonanon
Enthusiast
nonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmos

Device: iPad, Nook Simple Touch
I use my Witstech A81 for reading all the time and it's got a 7 inch screen with 800 x 480 resolution. With the right font and font size and a good color for the font and background that resolution is very readable and not hard on the eyes. Not on mine at least as I usually read on my A81 instead of my Sony Touch.
nonanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:55 AM   #114
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
<cough>Knock-off</cough>

I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #115
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
<cough>Apple fanboy</cough>

I guess locking you down to Apple (iTunes, no flash support) is seen by some people as a good thing.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #116
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
<cough>Knock-off</cough>

I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
You are well aware that Apple did not come out with the tablet first, right?

Nor did they invent the mp3 Player
nor did they invent the smartphone
nor did they invent the computer.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, tablet