Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Have finally recieved my DRS

After wanting this device since it was first announced (well before really) just wanted to make a few comments about it.

I ordered the device from DAdirect and received very good service from this company (thanks CBell). It arrived fully charged and ready to go which was much appreciated as I arrived home that night at 11:00pm and of course wanted to play immediately.

I had two particulars needs of this device:

1) is to read A4 PDFs of photography articles, tutorials and other related material as well as work based information which invariably arrives in A4 PDF which I don't want to print out (can be up to 100 - 200 pages and don't want to waste the paper which would then be binned after reading) and also I don't like reading off a computer screen.

The DRs is working very well for this purpose, the battery life appears to be around six hours which is not the best, but still very usable. My laptop only gives me three hours of usage after all.

2) To be able to take notes on the screen as I am speaking to clients on the phone (such discussions can be up to an hour and can be time intensive to then type up in detail as I do not touch type). and then convert the notes to text.

I have not been able to test this feature out as yet as I am still awaiting formal consent to install the relevant software on my work PC and I refuse to do anything work related at home .

I considered purchasing a tablet PC for both purposes but they appear to be a very expensive option here in Australia. Also reading PDF documents from such a device would be similar to reading form a PC.

So far I have experienced some minor delays in page turning on a large and graphics intensive photography book, but otherwise page turning seems to be quite good.

Took me a while to realize the the centre button on the bottom is to raise the menu, not to confirm a choice of icon. Also found that the placement of the buttons on the side mean that it is very easy to turn a page when you don't intend to, however easy to fix with locking the sensors. Of course, in the interest of full disclosure here, I should mention that I didn't read the user guide before doing anything else.

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
Thank you Karen for your post.

I'm interested on buying one, since I can't wait for the Plastic Logic.

Because you are a new owner and if you are willing to answer I would like to ask you a few questions:

1. Please tell me, does it makes any sound, except the beep for turning pages?
2. How can you describe the filling of reading with it? Is it like an old book (instead of brown you have gray), is it like a newspaper, is it like nothing else?
3. Doest it looks fragile like you are obsessed by protecting it or you don't worry at all and you're taking it with you everywhere? Which cover are you using?
4. Is it fast enough for you for starting it up, opening files, browsing, closing, shutting down?
5. What can you say about the ergonomy of the device? Can you hold it in your hand easily? Is it easy to press buttons by mistake?

If you have time... Thank you!

Ray
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert