Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-16-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
UK Borders to start selling ebooks from April

According to an article on the Bookseller website,

"Borders will begin selling e-books on its site from April. It will sell e-books that are available from Gardners' digital warehouse, which has more than 60,000 titles. Gardners already fulfils orders of physical books on Borders' website."

This is apparently part of a deal whereby Gardners, a book wholesaler, is looking at supplying ebooks to several major booksellers. Given that The Bookseller is (I believe) a UK publication, I think this deal involves only the UK branches of Borders rather than those Stateside. But still one more step towards an increased number of outlets, and (hopefully) towards greater choice and competition.

The article also mentions that "Last month, Waterstone's hit out at the number of e-books being produced, saying that not enough were available to meet growing demand."
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Well it's about time Border's started selling ebooks. I've been emailling them since around Sept last year & never had a reply. It will be interesting to see what format(s) become avail & price... As they sell the iliad, one would expect Mobi to be avail at least, but we shall see.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Wow that's awesome! They should have a better selection than Waterstones, right?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
We can only hope...can't be worse surely?!
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
good news !! more ebooks is always a good thing. and it's about time somebody realised that there are not enough of them :

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
The article also mentions that "Last month, Waterstone's hit out at the number of e-books being produced, saying that not enough were available to meet growing demand."
another excellent quote :

Quote:
Publishers are beginning to take it more seriously with growing sales of e-readers. E-books are much further forward than they were even four months ago.
that is a very good sign.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #6
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
According to an article on the Bookseller website,

"Borders will begin selling e-books on its site from April. It will sell e-books that are available from Gardners' digital warehouse, which has more than 60,000 titles. Gardners already fulfils orders of physical books on Borders' website."

This is apparently part of a deal whereby Gardners, a book wholesaler, is looking at supplying ebooks to several major booksellers. Given that The Bookseller is (I believe) a UK publication, I think this deal involves only the UK branches of Borders rather than those Stateside. But still one more step towards an increased number of outlets, and (hopefully) towards greater choice and competition.
Is there any indication that BritBorders will pull an Amazon and only sell within the boundaries of the UK? Or that they will be operating with the atrocious Sony Library?

I have on occasion had to purchase treebooks from UKAmazon or other Brit sellers because the books were not available in the US, and once in a while run into a problem with being able to buy them at all, not being within the UK. For instance, I found it very difficult to acquire some of the volumes of the most recent translation(s) of In Search of Lost Time, though I was ultimately successful, being a stubborn...um, tenacious sort.

I've never grasped why Amazon blocks the sale of ebooks outside the US. Maybe someone can enlighten me...
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I've never grasped why Amazon blocks the sale of ebooks outside the US. Maybe someone can enlighten me...
It is not just Amazon. Publisher rights to a book generally specify a geographic area and not the whole world. This is how it has been for years and years. Often the eBook rights are just a line item in the book contract. There are lots of implications to this. First the contract between the publisher and the author has to be enforced on the dealer which worked with Book stores for a long time but it less enforceable with web sites. Second, theoretically, if the book goes out of print (withdrawn by the publisher) the eBook could be withdrawn as well. Contracts are funny things sometimes.

dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:23 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Apparently, legally speaking, when you buy a paper book from Amazon US, the sale is deemed to have taken place in the US, so Amazon are allowed to supply it, no matter where the customer lives. When you buy an eBook on the other hand, the sale is deemed to occur at the customer's location, so if it's an eBook that Amazon only has US distribution rights for, they aren't allowed to sell it.

Why this difference should exist, I don't know; but from what I've read, that is the reason the eBook stores have to impose geographical restrictions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Apparently, legally speaking, when you buy a paper book from Amazon US, the sale is deemed to have taken place in the US, so Amazon are allowed to supply it, no matter where the customer lives. When you buy an eBook on the other hand, the sale is deemed to occur at the customer's location, so if it's an eBook that Amazon only has US distribution rights for, they aren't allowed to sell it.
Interesting. Does it work the other way around, too? I mean, if I buy a treebook from Amazon UK, do they consider it to be a UK sale?

Quote:
Why this difference should exist, I don't know; but from what I've read, that is the reason the eBook stores have to impose geographical restrictions.
Sigh. What is wrong with these people? Are we going to have to wait for them to die to get things running right?
Old 07-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Wow that's awesome! They should have a better selection than Waterstones, right?
Really? That's impressive. For a while, here in Chicago, we had a Waterstones, and it was head & shoulders the best bookstore in the city.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:42 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Interesting. Does it work the other way around, too? I mean, if I buy a treebook from Amazon UK, do they consider it to be a UK sale?
I would certainly imagine so, yes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote