Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #31
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areinu View Post
Does anyone know good reading app that would at least show appropriate footnotes below the screen, like in word document or real book? That would make reading books written by master Terry Pratchett a possibility again! Nice fonts and no animations are also kind of necessary.
Alreader does it all (it's the full version of the built-in Oreader).
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #32
Areinu
Enthusiast
Areinu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I'm using Alreader, but there are few things I think it misses(or I don't know how to setup):
* refresh after every page. I don't mind the blink, but I like my text crisp
* do default thing on back button press(currently it asks what I want to do)
* use formatting from original pdf. I couldn't find an option to do it, and I don't like that some nice effects are lost, like nice centered chapter numbers etc.
* I don't really like any of the fonts I'm using sans serif, no bold, much smaller than default. The problem is only Sans-serif and one starting from M have polish fonts, so I have almost no font choices.
Areinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #33
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ArtaTech have been ignoring my e-mails and refusing to replace my bootlooping T68. First contacted them over a month ago. Great company.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #34
Areinu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
ArtaTech have been ignoring my e-mails and refusing to replace my bootlooping T68. First contacted them over a month ago. Great company.
Surprisingly Artatech was pretty quick with fixing my bootloop problems. They didn't exchange the device, just fixed the old one. Under what e-mail did you contant them? service@artatech.com ?

That said my support request to Sony has gone unanswered for more than a year. I still haven't gotten DLC I should have gotten in a bundle with the game :/ And whenever I call I'm on hold forever.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #35
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Ok. Is there a way to roll back the upgrade? I just opened the cover on my Lynx and the battery was dead. On Saturday morning it was fully charged, I added a couple of books using Calibre Companion, read for about 15 minutes, and closed the cover. I didn't look at it since then--I was reading on my Kindle Voyage instead.

So now, with this "upgrade", my Lynx has gone from being a device I really like to being almost unusable.

I guess I have no choice now but to do a factory reset...which means I very likely won't be using it anymore...at least for a while. It's a nice device, and I love being able to use Calibre Companion on e-ink, but I don't have time right now to spend a few hours setting it up and fiddling with the settings. Maybe after the holidays are over, and I have time to think again.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #36
Areinu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Ok. Is there a way to roll back the upgrade? I just opened the cover on my Lynx and the battery was dead. On Saturday morning it was fully charged, I added a couple of books using Calibre Companion, read for about 15 minutes, and closed the cover. I didn't look at it since then--I was reading on my Kindle Voyage instead.
This has happened to me before update and is still happening. Randomly. Maybe once per month, but it still meant I had to keep the backup device on me.

And I think I know why. I don't turn off my device after reading. Look here:
https://onyx-boox.com/support/firmware-android/
under T68. It says:
Quote:
Important! Turn off your BOOX when you are not using it. Stand-by mode does not improve battery lasting.
So basically if you want 8 weeks of battery life with 30 minutes of reading daily it means you have to keep your device off 98% of the time. Or if you just want to be sure that device won't be empty after few hours. Other readers advertising 8 weeks of battery life can be in sleep mode during 98% of their time.
There is a setting(default on) in T68 that will turn the device off automatically after use. But that still means you have to boot the device, then enter the app that you want to use each time you want to use the device.

I've been looking for a way to get the device running without need to turn it off and without risk of it being empty after just few hours here, in my threat... And after weeks of trying everything I'm pretty confident that turning off the device is the only way to get reliable battery life. I've been monitoring the battery usage using many apks and nothing notices anything suspicious, so the device just has very poor energy management.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #37
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
Quote:
I'm using Alreader, but there are few things I think it misses(or I don't know how to setup):
* refresh after every page. I don't mind the blink, but I like my text crisp
It has the option it's in the "Tuning" settings menu (which is only visible if you changed your "Setting Complexity" to "Professional")

Quote:
* do default thing on back button press(currently it asks what I want to do)
Configurable in the "Controls" settings category.

Quote:
* use formatting from original pdf. I couldn't find an option to do it, and I don't like that some nice effects are lost, like nice centered chapter numbers etc.
Alreader does not read pdf at all, so this is probably a problem of the pdf reader that you use. If you refer to epub, then it really does ignore the effects, but you can configure lots of different nice effects yourself that will be applied to all the ebooks you open (this requires some time and trial and error, but eventually all the ebooks are presented in the same way, to your exact preference).

Quote:
* I don't really like any of the fonts I'm using sans serif, no bold, much smaller than default. The problem is only Sans-serif and one starting from M have polish fonts, so I have almost no font choices.
Just create a folder called "Fonts" on the internal storage and drop any TTF fonts you want there - they will be picked up by Alreader and you will be able to select them. Search online - there are many font packs that were created specifically for e-ink devices (usually just bolder than the fonts they are based on).
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #38
Anavim
Enthusiast
Anavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterAnavim can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx BOOX Page, inkBOOK Onyx & Obsidian & Calypso+ (Android ;)
Quote:
Does anyone know good reading app that would at least show appropriate footnotes below the screen, like in word document or real book? That would make reading books written by master Terry Pratchett a possibility again! Nice fonts and no animations are also kind of necessary.
The solution is AlReader (e-ink version): http://alreader.com/downloads/OTHER/AlReaderEINK.apk
On the Russian forum: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=340035
(on Polish forum: http://forum.eksiazki.org/programy-i...im-t14087.html)
Very recommendable application for reading
Anavim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #39
Areinu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by afainber View Post
Alreader does not read pdf at all, so this is probably a problem of the pdf reader that you use. If you refer to epub, then it really does ignore the effects, but you can configure lots of different nice effects yourself that will be applied to all the ebooks you open (this requires some time and trial and error, but eventually all the ebooks are presented in the same way, to your exact preference).
I meant epub. Man, I just wrote pdf again when thinking about epub. Something is wrong with my brain

Thanks for config tips. I've enabled complex settings, but couldn't find those you mentioned. Maybe because I didn't have e-ink version that Anavim wrote about though I have seen e-ink options in the settings, so I'm not sure. I've installed the one from play store. I will play with the settings tonight and report back.

Not having only 1 of my wishlist is really good result anyway. I don't think any other reader comes close.

Edit:
I've changed the settings already. Everything is where you said it would be, though it was still quite tricky to find among all the settings. I've pulled fonts from certain other reader I had and I'm using them. Obviously after making sure the font licenses permit it. Thanks again!

Last edited by Areinu; 11-12-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #40
ArtaTechPoland
Banned
ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: inkBOOK
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
Did you contact the Custoemr Serivce @ onyx-boox.com/support ?

Please send me a private message about your case. We fix customer's devices under warranty.

Last edited by ArtaTechPoland; 11-15-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typo
ArtaTechPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #41
ArtaTechPoland
Banned
ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
This has happened to me before update and is still happening. Randomly. Maybe once per month, but it still meant I had to keep the backup device on me.

And I think I know why. I don't turn off my device after reading. Look here:
https://onyx-boox.com/support/firmware-android/
under T68. It says:

So basically if you want 8 weeks of battery life with 30 minutes of reading daily it means you have to keep your device off 98% of the time. Or if you just want to be sure that device won't be empty after few hours. Other readers advertising 8 weeks of battery life can be in sleep mode during 98% of their time.
There is a setting(default on) in T68 that will turn the device off automatically after use. But that still means you have to boot the device, then enter the app that you want to use each time you want to use the device.

I've been looking for a way to get the device running without need to turn it off and without risk of it being empty after just few hours here, in my threat... And after weeks of trying everything I'm pretty confident that turning off the device is the only way to get reliable battery life. I've been monitoring the battery usage using many apks and nothing notices anything suspicious, so the device just has very poor energy management.
Like with every device on standby it discharches quicker than the one that is turned off completely. Please check how you phone, tablet or a laptop works on standby mode and while turned off.

We always communicate that e-book readers can last UP TO 8 weeks (up to 10 000 page turns), but also inform that actual battery life may vary and depends on usage and other factors.

shalym, Areinu:

If you think that you experience weird battery problems with Onyx BOOX Lynx, please feel free to contact the Customer Service @ onyx-boox.com/support
Old 11-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #42
Areinu
Enthusiast

[q]Like with every device on standby it discharches quicker than the one that is turned off completely. Please check how you phone, tablet or a laptop works on standby mode and while turned off.[/q]
My HTC One lasted for 2 weeks when in airplane mode on one charge. Sure, normally it lasts for about 1-2 days, but that's because I have wifi, data connection and BT always turned on.

onyx-boox.com says that I should have the device turned off completely. I'm pretty sure that my HTC One would last for 8 weeks if I turned it off completely. That's not 8 weeks of battery life. Battery life is measured while the battery is turned on...

Also, phones don't advertise up to 8 weeks of battery life, and I'm pretty sure most of the ones on the market would last that much if turned off for 98% of the time.

Ps. I will contant onyx-boox.com/support, don't worry. It will be 2nd time
Old 11-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #43
ArtaTechPoland
Banned

Quote:

Ps. I will contant onyx-boox.com/support, don't worry. It will be 2nd time
Please do, our Customer Service would be glad to help You.