Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
Custom dicts for Kindle App on Nook rooted

On the most recent versions of Kindle Android app is fairly simple to change the standard dictionaries with custom ones. One simply has to go to Android -> Data -> com.amazon.kindle -> files, find the filename associated with a certain language and give it to the custom dictionary.

For instance, I want to replace the German standard dictionary that I never use for a custom ENG-POR dictionary: I simply rename it to B003YL4LVQ_EBOK.prc (German dict filename), copy it to the com.amazon.kindle folder replacing the existing file, delete the bookmark file (B003YL4LVQ_EBOK.embp), restart device and it is done. Hence, when I'm reading a book, I just need to click on the book icon on the definition window and change to German to have access to my ENG-POR dictionary

On Kindle 3.2.0.35, the one that works on Nook Touch, it's a little different and requires more steps:

- it is not possible to change dictionaries inside the app, you're stuck to the standard one of each language;

- the dictionaries files are on folder Kindle (main root), with the rest of the e-books;

- besides changing the filename to B003ODIZL6_EBOK.prc, it' is also needed to change ASIN and other metadata. For this I use mobimetaeditor.

So, I wanted to replace the standard ENG dictionary for a custom ENG-POR that I've purchased on Amazon. I've changed it's filename to B003ODIZL6_EBOK.prc and edited with mobimetaeditor the following metadata criteria to match the standard one. To simplify, I'll list what I've edited:

1. Language:

Language: en (9)
Dictionary Input: en (1033)
Dictionary Output: en (1033)

2. EXTH Records (maybe it is not needed to change so many fields, but it worked for me this way):

100 (author): leave blank
101 (publisher): Oxford University Press
113 (ASIN): B003ODIZL6
503 (updated title): The New Oxford American Dictionary
504 (ASIN): B003ODIZL6

Save in the end (sometimes it is needed to press the button more than once).
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote