Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #241
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Hmm. Just noticed something annoying with my Arc: advertising & box list it as having 1 GB of RAM, but the Settings->Apps->Running meter (and CPU-Z) show it as having only 680 MB total. I don't suppose anyone happens to know where the extra 344 MB is hiding, eh?

Last edited by JD Gumby; 06-28-2013 at 10:59 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #242
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
It's an Android thing. The meters show the total ram available to apps after the system claims its chunk, not the total physical ram. My Galaxy Note shows 1.79Gb total ram, but physically it has 2Gb.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #243
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Meh. And now my Arc just spontaneously rebooted for the 3rd time today. Guess I'd better remove CPU-Z, the only app I've installed in the last two weeks, though several have updated in that time (only Google apps, though). If removing it doesn't stop the reboots, then I will be saddened and VERY pissed that it's lasted only 8 months. :/

EDIT: Just had my 4th spontaneous reboot. :/ Really annoying. Currently updating to the last system update (avoided updating because people said there were problems). Probably won't help.

EDIT 2: And spontaneous reboot 5 less than 10 minutes after I finished the update and had rebooted again for good measure.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 06-15-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #244
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Mine showed the same ram. Always annoyed as my one x advertises 1 GB ram and shows that. I Don,t use my arc much now. Bought the Asus fonepad and haven't looked back. Great bit of kit. Already had 4 updates to fix minor bugs and running 4.1.2 with no doubt it'll get 4.2 and a far greater chance of root. Shame as the arc had potential.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #245
helsbels81
helsbels81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Hi. My kobo arc has stopped letting me read the book I've been happily reading. I got to the end of the chapter and now it won't advance to the next page/chapter. I just get a blank page with a grey swirly thing going round. Doesn't matter how long I eave it, it still doesn't bring up the page.

I've also tried choosing to read another book that I had in my library, a purchased one from kobo, and these won't lad either.

Does anyone know why this is happening nd what I can do to fix it? I font want to do a factory reset if I can help it. Thanks
helsbels81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #246
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My wife had the same thing happen yesterday. What seemed to work for her was to first, go to the Kobo web site and drop the book from her library. Then, do a Sync on the Kobo to remove the book from it. Then go into the trash on the web site and restore the book. One more sync and all was fine.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #247
Dellboy67
Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Touch and Arc & Kindle for Ipod
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSweetLove View Post
I just got my Arc and for the most part I love it. I do have a few complaints though.

My number 1 complaint is that I cannot seem to find a (preferably free) way to transfer books to my Arc wirelessly. I'm talking about books that I already own and are currently stored on my computer, not ones previously purchased from Kobo. On all of my other devices (iDevices and a B&N Nook), I have been able to email the epub files to myself and open them in an app of my choosing. When I click on the file in my email, I get an error message saying "No app can open this attachment for viewing".

I have tried downloading files directly from my Google Drive and gotten an error message saying "cannot open file".

I have also tried using Dropbox to transfer files and get an error message saying "Please download an app that can open this file". I have downloaded other reading apps and I still get this message.

I called customer service and was told that the only way to transfer files is with the cable. I have no problems whatsoever transferring the files via USB, but surely there must be a way to do so wirelessly?

That brings up another beef. I can't believe that the device does not come with a USB cable/charger like most other devices out there. If I need to be able to attach it to my computer in order to transfer any files to it that were not directly purchased from Kobo, then maybe it should come with such a cable? I was a little choked to have spent over $200 on the device, get home, and have to go right back out to purchase a cable before I could use it.

Other than that, I am really enjoying it so far. I am still learning my way around it, but I really like how the Tapestries work.

My other requests are:

- More font and margin options in the reading app.

- I read mostly at night and like the night reading mode, but I wish I could turn down the brightness of the font even further. I find it is still so crisp and bright that it is hard on my eyes and blurs when I am in complete darkness. Using other reading apps on my iPad, I have found that turning down the brightness of the font has really helped. Maybe if the brightness cannot be turned down more, being able to choose a different colour font would help? I'm sure a grey or sepia font on the black background would be easier on the eyes.

I realize I could download a different reading app, but the whole reason I bought a Kobo is because I wanted the Kobo experience. I really like the "reading life" experience and I would not get that by using a different reading app.

Hopefully someone can help me out with file transfer aspect.
See my reply @ #240
Dellboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #248
luxaeternam
busy bee
luxaeternam began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / Sony PRS1 / Kobo Arc
Dellboy67,

I've found the best way is to access either Dropbox or Sugarsync via a browser and not the apps and that should allow you to simply download the file.

Once you've downloaded your epubs it's a simple matter of doing an import in the Library and agreeing to the dialog asking you if you want to remove the downloaded files.

Hope that fixes the issue for you.
luxaeternam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #249
mariarv32
mariarv32 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO ARC
Good afternoon ,
I buy yesterday a Kobo arc .
I have many problems...
1. You can not search in your library a book by the name or by the author ...
2. I try to organize my books to"shelves" (because there isn't search option) and after 5 minutes that i complet the shelve and everything seems ok , the books disappears and the shelve stay empty ...
Does anyone have the same problem with the shelves ?
mariarv32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #250
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

For questions about the Kobo app, you might want to post in the main Kobo forum rather than here (since your question isn't Arc-specific).
Old 08-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #251
scuba stickman
scuba stickman began at the beginning.

Anything?

Well her I go. My arc developed a strange problem a few weeks ago. I can no longer get audio from media through the speakers. Audio for notifications and alarms come through the speakers fine. I am Abe to get media audio through headphones. I repeatedly tried the audio volume controls but to no avail. I even tried a system reset.

Do you have any ideas?

Sent from my Arc using Tapatalk 4 Beta
scuba stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #252
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Have you tried looking in settings, sound > volumes? There are 3 individual settings there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-08-03-14-52-43.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	108865  

Last edited by tlaine; 08-03-2013 at 03:03 PM.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #253
scuba stickman

Yes and the media volume there also controls media volume for speakers and headphones volume. Headphones are fine. As I say, it is a strange one. By media, I mean, in-game/app sounds, music, web sounds, YouTube. My notifications for incoming mail etc. work fine.

Actually, I can't hear the keyboard "tick" either.

Sent from my Arc using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 08-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #254
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
You should call Kobo support. The only other suggestion I have is rebooting.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #255
scuba stickman

Well I have it working sporadically. Seems to be a hardware issue. The headphone jack ( or is that Jill) maybe dirty. It seems to get stuck thinking the headphone are plugged in when they are not. Apparently the notifications and alarms come through the speakers regardless of whether the headphones are plugged in or not. I plan on giving it a proper cleaning this weekend.

Tags
ama, developers corner, kobo arc